Bears use Automatic Conversion on Cutler's contract & create extra $4M in space

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would e-mail Larry Mayer and try to find out how to overtake Stein's position.

Maybe in about 5 years, a semi-retirement type thing. Right now I can't afford to be taking a pay cut.

Zenjohn

Liked Posts:
No! No! No! Allen

Let me be the first: Jared Allen??

Allen is no longer a complete player. He totally sells out for sacks and teams run right past him. He also has an over inflated idea of his value. Allen? No!

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
You guys need to give up on the whole Jared Allen thing,it's starting to annoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Let me be the first: Jared Allen??

Hell no to Jared Allen. Nothing against him, but the age and money don't fit into our current dynamic.

We are not going to win the SB in 2014 with or without Jared Allen, save the cash or allocate it for a young player, the goal should be the SB in 2015/2016. We need to rebuild, not try for some half-assed "reload". He is an relatively older player with lots of mileage on him so his productivity will begin to decline, and he's not the "final piece" for a 2014 SB run, so why tie-up cap money otherwise?

He has had 10+ sacks for like 7 years in a row. We'd get him at the same age we got Peppers for cheaper and he has been more consistent. Cutler is on a 3 year deal. No point of paying him if your not trying to win the Super Bowl for the next 3 years. If the Bears sign Allen you can legitimately say you have improved on defense. Currently, the bears have potentially improved their rush defense, but are worse at rushing the passer losing peppers and Melton.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
If they sign Allen...how do they sign the rookies that will be drafted? Dont they need like 5 mil to get the draft done? I dont know all this cap shit so someone please explain how that works.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 8m
After restructure of Jay Cutler, release of Earl Bennett, #Bears have $10.46 million in salary cap room applying Rule of 51

Mitchapalooza

lol seriously, what would you guys do if Urlacher signed with us?

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I definitely like the idea of being able to go with Willie Young and Jared Allen at DE and Houston at DT in obvious passing situations.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
Hell no to Jared Allen. Nothing against him, but the age and money don't fit into our current dynamic.

We are not going to win the SB in 2014 with or without Jared Allen, save the cash or allocate it for a young player, the goal should be the SB in 2015/2016. We need to rebuild, not try for some half-assed "reload". He is an relatively older player with lots of mileage on him so his productivity will begin to decline, and he's not the "final piece" for a 2014 SB run, so why tie-up cap money otherwise?

well put, RacerX. couldn't agree more. honestly, what are some folks thinking?

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
You guys need to give up on the whole Jared Allen thing,it's starting to annoy

images

jaj.jpg

485412_10101620423195757_651197598_n.jpg

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
You threw out all credibility right there.

He tends to do that quite often. On the topic of the restructure, it's obvious something is goin down because there's no reason to clear cap space when they already had enough to cover the rookie class.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Don't know what to expect. Obviously they're planning on using the 5 million they converted, but for who? Don't think its Allen.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
What about money to sign the draft picks like another poster pointed out? Don't the Bears need that money to sign the picks, & make a stopgap move during the season if needed?

They had enough to cover rookies before this.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
I don't think people understand how this works.

Cliff Stein didn't just create $4 million of cap space out of thin air.

We basically just traded $1 million of cap space each of the next 4 years for $4 million this year. It depends on who they use it on I guess, but I'm not crazy about taking away future space for cap space in a year where we probably aren't winning anything since the defense is a work in progress, to put it kindly.

slimeyjimey

Liked Posts:
Maybe that one safety. Ihavanoideahowtopronouncehisname