Bears use Automatic Conversion on Cutler's contract & create extra $4M in space

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Adam Jahns ‏@adamjahns 25s Jay Cutler’s new $5 million signing bonus is prorated over the first five years of his seven year deal.di
Expand
ding ding. Was listening to Mully n Hanley last week-- essentialy if the Bears did this with Cutlers contract they would be extending the deal with him..

So now from 3 years the Bears pretty much are guaranteed to have Cutler for 5...

Hahahahahaha

laker-bros-deal-with-it_original.gif

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think people understand how this works.

Cliff Stein didn't just create $4 million of cap space out of thin air.

We basically just traded $1 million of cap space each of the next 4 years for $4 million this year. It depends on who they use it on I guess, but I'm not crazy about taking away future space for cap space in a year where we probably aren't winning anything since the defense is a work in progress, to put it kindly.

One million in cap space added for the next 4 years is not something to really be concerned about.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Ihedigbo at SS and Clemons at FS would be a huge upgrade for us on the back-end.... Or, like others have said, another DT like Pat Sims would be nice too.

Spear

Corpus callosotomy
Liked Posts:
ding ding. Was listening to Mully n Hanley last week-- essentialy if the Bears did this with Cutlers contract they would be extending the deal with him..

So now from 3 years the Bears pretty much guaranteed to have Cutler for 5...

Hahahahahaha

Because the 2 mil cap hit after year 3, instead of none, is so devaststing

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:

Hahahahahaha

That's not necessarily true at all. It only means if we cut him after 3 years, we'll carry $2million in dead cap. That absolutely does not make him unmoveable (whether via trade or release)

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

Hahahahahaha

Umm...no. The Bears could still part ways with Cutler after year 3 and have 2 million in dead money tied up to him. That's minimal considering the money freed up.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Let me be the first: Jared Allen??

Hahahahahaha

No it does not silly. All it means is there will be $1 mil of dead cap space for 2 years if the Bears decide to move on after 3 years. Hometown Jimmy will be ready to roll by then so it's all good.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Plz no jared hickerbilly.

Maybe its for a trade?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
blah blah.

Either way, free up 4 mil for my man Jared Allen!

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
A certain poster told me that they wouldn't do this

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

So now from 3 years the Bears pretty much are guaranteed to have Cutler for 5...

Hahahahahaha

laker-bros-deal-with-it_original.gif

nope.

It will just cost 2mil against the cap to cut him instead of zero. Hardly a big deal.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this gives us between 7 and 8 in cap space, if this is correct, it probably is not enough room for Jared and rookies.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
A certain poster told me that they wouldn't do this

Don't worry, I am sure he and his squire will call this a stupid move once they catch wind of it. They are probably cuddling together somewhere watching re-runs of Ally McBeal or something.

Mitchapalooza

I think this gives us between 7 and 8 in cap space, if this is correct, it probably is not enough room for Jared and rookies.

we have like 10.3m in space i think someone said earlier. doubt Jared is coming here.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Don't think this means anything really. We still need 5 for the rooks and then need some extra space to maneuver during the season. Don't get your hopes up with this.