dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I definitely like the idea of being able to go with Willie Young and Jared Allen at DE and Houston at DT in obvious passing situations.
I'm with you on that and have actually made that very comment a few times.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Would be much happier if Pat Sims or Chris Clemons (safety) signed in comparison to Jared Allen.
Don't know if i'd be happier but i'd be happy with either one so.....YES please.

CuttyDoesIt6

Liked Posts:
Screw Allen. The Bears already went out and got 2 solid DE's in FA. I would love if they got Pat Sims or Chris Clemons.

geneatals

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
good old brad biggs to bring it down a notch....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-jay-cutler-contract-20140324,0,2428424.story

"...According to an NFL source, the Bears have $10.46 million in cap room after the restructure of Cutler and release of wide receiver Earl Bennett. The team is going to need space to sign the rookie class and ample room to operate during the season.

It is doubtful the Bears cleared the room last week in an effort to make a major signing this week or in the future because the goal in putting the automatic conversion clause in the contracts was to create a “use as you go” system for managing the salary cap.

Emery and contract negotiator Cliff Stein don’t want to “borrow” cap space if it isn’t going to be used. Theoretically, if the team was going to pursue a major free agent like defensive end Jared Allen, it could wait to create cap space needed to potentially sign him if and when that deal came together. In other words, Emery wouldn’t go creating cap space last week for a deal that wasn’t imminent.

Therefore, it is likely the cap maneuver was done to create space the Bears view as necessary for normal roster building and maintenance throughout the 2014 season. It’s possible “name” free agents could be in play for the team moving forward but Emery was pretty clear after the Houston signing that players will have to fit the salary structure the Bears have in mind. As the market settles, it will be interesting to see what takes shape as the team has 67 players listed on the roster, a ways off from the maximum of 90...."

Liked Posts:
What about money to sign the draft picks like another poster pointed out? Don't the Bears need that money to sign the picks, & make a stopgap move during the season if needed?

Yes. Right now w/ draft & season money accounted for, the team has around 6.2-6.7 to spend after the pending Weems cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We made space to make Urlacher a fair offer that doesn't offend his grand nieces baby grand niece WaWa Urlacher

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looks like Sanchez is going to Philly, Trestman did say he wanted to bring in a bunch of vet QBs to maybe sign one of them, can't imagine that would be more than 1 million.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
good old brad biggs to bring it down a notch....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-jay-cutler-contract-20140324,0,2428424.story

"...According to an NFL source, the Bears have $10.46 million in cap room after the restructure of Cutler and release of wide receiver Earl Bennett. The team is going to need space to sign the rookie class and ample room to operate during the season.

It is doubtful the Bears cleared the room last week in an effort to make a major signing this week or in the future because the goal in putting the automatic conversion clause in the contracts was to create a “use as you go” system for managing the salary cap.

Emery and contract negotiator Cliff Stein don’t want to “borrow” cap space if it isn’t going to be used. Theoretically, if the team was going to pursue a major free agent like defensive end Jared Allen, it could wait to create cap space needed to potentially sign him if and when that deal came together. In other words, Emery wouldn’t go creating cap space last week for a deal that wasn’t imminent.

Therefore, it is likely the cap maneuver was done to create space the Bears view as necessary for normal roster building and maintenance throughout the 2014 season. It’s possible “name” free agents could be in play for the team moving forward but Emery was pretty clear after the Houston signing that players will have to fit the salary structure the Bears have in mind. As the market settles, it will be interesting to see what takes shape as the team has 67 players listed on the roster, a ways off from the maximum of 90...."

"...it will be interesting to see what takes shape as the team has 67 players listed on the roster, a ways off from the maximum of 90...."

That's a little misleading. That quote makes it seem like they need to sign 23 guys with the remaining $10.5M. Like a few people have pointed out, it's only the top-51 salaries that count against the cap.

The 51st-highest salary is currently $495,000. Most of the guys they bring in to fill out the roster will be undrafted rookies and vets on minimal deals, so they'll have a $420K or $495K cap number. Since those contracts will be equal to or less than $495K, they'll add nothing to the cap.

Even the rookies won't count their full amount. Khaseem Greene counted $513K against the cap last season. If our 4th-round pick counts $513K this year, he'll add $18K to the cap number ($513K-$495K). In that instance, you're not adding $513K, you're replacing $495K with $513K.

With $10.5M in cap space, they can sign their rookies, set back some emergency money and still make a mid-level move or two.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
Don't think this means anything really. We still need 5 for the rooks and then need some extra space to maneuver during the season. Don't get your hopes up with this.

You just regurgitated what Briggs said. Cite your sources! ;) That said, I don't buy for one minute that, in March, the Bears decided to free up some cap space to "maneuver during the season".

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
I was touting Jared Allen early on around here when many others where saying he is too old. It appears the Bears are going to outbid whoever else is in on the Jared Allen sweepstakes.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Somewhere, Rory Sparrow's head just exploded.

Reactions: WCL

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
By the way, I don't really care for the Jared Allen move, but there's enough room to do it.

Let's say that Jared Allen wants $10M a year with $20M guaranteed (Demarcus Ware money). You can sign him for 5 years/50M. The cash payout would look like this:

2014: $1M guaranteed salary + $18M signing bonus
2015: $1M guaranteed salary
2016: $10M non-guaranteed salary
2017: $10M non-guaranteed salary
2018: $10M non-guaranteed salary

Here's the cap hit each year:

2014: $4.6M ($1M salary + $3.6M prorated bonus)
2015: $4.6M ($1M salary + $3.6M prorated bonus)
2016: $13.6M ($10M salary + $3.6M prorated bonus)
2017: $13.6M ($10M salary + $3.6M prorated bonus)
2018: $13.6M ($10M salary + $3.6M prorated bonus)

So, you could get him for a $4.6M cap hit the first two years. The problem is when it jumps up in that third season. Also, his dead money would be $10.8M if you cut him after two seasons and $7.2M after three seasons.

It doesn't seem like an Emery move, but it's possible.