Biggs this morning...

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You could make the lack of trust/they aren't going to be good argument for any position. For WR, you actually have a #1 and probably #2 already. For OT you have two guys who are fringe starters at best.

They could draft a T to play Right Tackle and potentially take over LT next year when Leno is likely gone.

Surrounding Dalton with talent includes OL talent.

but the problem here is that you are approaching it from the standpoint of a fan and not the standpoint of a coach.

They just see things differently and if you want to get an accurate assessment then you need to try to get into their mindset rather than wish casting.

Not saying you're wrong in your assessment mind you. I'm just saying that coaches tend to be stubborn and want to go with known quantities especially when their job is on the line.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
kinda; yes but no.. it's gonna get these clowns shit canned ultimately but yes, for the team this is another bad move.

EDIT: Was Massie worse than Ifedi?? Really? honestly don't remember.

A tie, really.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
When has ownership ever given an indication they know or care what most Bears fans want?

To be honest if I owned a team I wouldn't care either.

If I left it up to the fans, I'd end up trading half my team for a punter.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I doubt Biggs is right, but if he is, the big winner is Trubisky, actually maybe the only winner. For Fuller probably a push.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
but the problem here is that you are approaching it from the standpoint of a fan and not the standpoint of a coach.

They just see things differently and if you want to get an accurate assessment then you need to try to get into their mindset rather than wish casting.

Not saying you're wrong in your assessment mind you. I'm just saying that coaches tend to be stubborn and want to go with known quantities especially when their job is on the line.

So then how does a coach see it, and why?

WTF is a known quantity when it comes the draft?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To be honest if I owned a team I wouldn't care either.

If I left it up to the fans, I'd end up trading half my team for a punter.

There's a way to ackowledge the fans and still do your own thing. I'm certainly not saying "leave it up to the fans." That'd be a fucking disaster. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The more I think about it, not going OL in Round 1 or 2 might end up being the 2nd biggest Pace mistake he has ever made after Trubisky. This team is not winning with Andy Dalton slinging the ball all over the field. The way the team is currently structured, they need to run first with Monty, control the clock and limit turnovers. The Bears need maulers up front.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think Biggs took the Golladay aquisition attempt as pretty telling.

I just looked at last years draft and there were 5 WR's taken between 20 and 52 who made significant impacts on their teams.
Mooney was the only one after that.

As far as OT's go, any OT who projects to be an eventual starting LT will probably be gone by 20 and they most likely would be selecting a RT.

As far as outside CB's, the sooner you grab one the better unless you are Mayock.
The team could definitely use a stud RT.

This draft is very strong at OT so I'm not sure I would agree.

The sooner you grab a player at any position the better off you are.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I doubt Biggs is right, but if he is, the big winner is Trubisky, actually maybe the only winner. For Fuller probably a push.

Why doubt Biggs? Not saying he's perfect but he's proven time and again to be as plugged in as anyone.

It makes perfect sense when you look at what the Bears have done too. If this is a rebuild then why is Jimmy Graham here?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So then how does a coach see it, and why?

WTF is a known quantity when it comes the draft?

Whatever I have seen an NFL coach on the hot seat, they almost always go for veterans as much as possible. It's all risk management.

Yes, you could draft someone better, but how long before you figure out whether they can play or not? How much of your time and resources will go into trying to make them better? How many games do you lose while waiting for them to catch on?

A coach on the hot seat wants veterans whom he can say "do this" and they say "yes coach" and then know what to do.

The only real exception to this are edge pass rushers and WRs. A route tree is a route tree. Edge Pass rusher is "see man with ball, get man with ball."

Coaches know that, which is why I think Biggs is onto something...

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The more I think about it, not going OL in Round 1 or 2 might end up being the 2nd biggest Pace mistake he has ever made after Trubisky. This team is not winning with Andy Dalton slinging the ball all over the field. The way the team is currently structured, they need to run first with Monty, control the clock and limit turnovers. The Bears need maulers up front.

Kevin White
Adam Shaheen
Mike Glennon
Robert Quinn

Do I need to continue?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Whatever I have seen an NFL coach on the hot seat, they almost always go for veterans as much as possible. It's all risk management.

Yes, you could draft someone better, but how long before you figure out whether they can play or not? How much of your time and resources will go into trying to make them better? How many games do you lose while waiting for them to catch on?

A coach on the hot seat wants veterans whom he can say "do this" and they say "yes coach" and then know what to do.

The only real exception to this are edge pass rushers and WRs. A route tree is a route tree. Edge Pass rusher is "see man with ball, get man with ball."

Coaches know that, which is why I think Biggs is onto something...
Alright, I don't agree but fair enough. They are going to have to play rookies at a few different spots this year no matter what though. I'd rather they be a positions where the Bears need more help.

WR is absolutely no guarantee. And one of the biggest issue young WRs have in the NFL is they can't run the whole route tree, or even close to it.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ifedi might be the answer at RT, but if darrisaw or slater or even cosmi was at 20 you could upgrade lt and save money for any interesting cuts after the draft

If Slater is there then i can't see how he wouldn't be BPA on the board at pick #20 and if Pace sticks with his BPA drafting then can't pass in Slater but i can see him drafting WR, T, QB, CB, OLB and maybe even C.Barmore (DT Bama) at pick #20.

2Deep

Liked Posts:
I will wait until after the draft to make judgments. As dumb as our GM may seem to be, no front office in the league is going to leak what their intentions are in regards to the draft what and whom they are targeting. In fact it's going to be misinformation that gets leaked.

Let's see what happens Draft weekend. We have needs at the following positions........

OT
QB
WR
CB

Other needs but those are most glaring.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If one of the top 5 QB’s is still on the board at 20 and Pace picks a WR, it will be time to finally check out of being a Bears fan until there is new ownership and management.

If all those QB needy teams picking above us pass on any of the 5 then don't you think they'd all have good reason for that though cause there's quite a few teams even after the teams that get the other 4 that have big QB needs?

BigTom

Liked Posts:
If Pace does one thing well its keeping his intentions a secret. Paces history should tell you if it appears he's not interested in QB or OT in the 1st because they are filled already with veteran free agents then I fully expect a QB or OT in the first.

After Pace and Nagy not going to Alabamas pro day to appear they aren't really interested in Mac Jones I expect a trade up for him in the 10 to 15 pick range.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
- He talked to a league exec who said Trufant is a depth signing at minimal value
-expects Houston-Carson back
-this team needs to win next year
-Asked about Mac Jones at 20 and he doesn't think the Bears will take a QB there. Said how will a QB help this team win in 2021
-asked about a big trade up for QB's after Trevor. He said It would make sense for George to OK a massive trade for RW but seriously doubts that George would allow similar for a rookie who could be the next Trubisky.
-When asked about the draft he said...
-Bears need to help Dalton out as they tried to get Golladay.
-He thinks they could go WR at 20 and cited Justin Jefferson as an example from last year
-They are tight up against the cap and doesn't think they paid Ifedi 4.25mil to be a super sub so no OT at 20
-expects CB in round 2 like last year, Trufant isn't an answer

In summary...

no QB drafted high up as they need contributors for 2021
expects them to bring in an impact WR and starting caliber CB
That’s a pretty stupid league exec if those are his real thoughts...

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Why doubt Biggs? Not saying he's perfect but he's proven time and again to be as plugged in as anyone.

It makes perfect sense when you look at what the Bears have done too. If this is a rebuild then why is Jimmy Graham here?

Yup.

They are going to try to save their jobs playing it safe with vets

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
kinda; yes but no.. it's gonna get these clowns shit canned ultimately but yes, for the team this is another bad move.

EDIT: Was Massie worse than Ifedi?? Really? honestly don't remember.

Yes, Massie was also worse than Cornelius Lucas the year before.

Ifedi is not good, but he was a visible improvement over Massie.