Biggs this morning...

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Such a loser mindset. I get if you don't trust Pace to make a big move like that now but he shouldn't be here then.

The dumbest thing you can do is get scared post-Trubisky and stop swinging for one as high in the draft as you can until you do. Even dumb, poorly run teams have lucked into franchise guys like the Texans and Chargers.

even though you say that, the head coach and GM are going to try to save their jobs first. Once they do then they probably will take another swing if they can.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then you're missing a hell of a lot of solid NFL news my friend.

No, I see the NFL moves when they actually happen. I don't get off on listening to nonsense gossip, posting on it for 20 pages, it doesn't happen, then moving onto the next nonsense gossip. I only posted in this one as it is just ridiculous to even imagine the Bears taking a WR in the first round. The odds of getting a great WR in a later round are much much much greater than getting a great OL in a later round.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No, I see the NFL moves when they actually happen. I don't get off on listening to nonsense gossip, posting on it for 20 pages, it doesn't happen, then moving onto the next nonsense gossip. I only posted in this one as it is just ridiculous to even imagine the Bears taking a WR in the first round. The odds of getting a great WR in a later round are much much much greater than getting a great OL in a later round.

Why? Because YOU think it's ridiculous?

Hey guys! Just ask DaaBears what's going to happen. He knows it already! ;)

Visionman

Liked Posts:
even though you say that, the head coach and GM are going to try to save their jobs first. Once they do then they probably will take another swing if they can.
They save their jobs by doing what’s best for the team, short AND long term.

Everyone says the McCaskeys are dumb, but to judge a GM based completely on one season’s W-L record is beyond stupid. Many fans seem to be that stupid, it seems...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Nobody mentioning it but we also still need a SS with T.Gipson now a free agent. I don't think that will be our #20 pick and think they'll go the free agency route to fill that need and would like that to be them bringing back Gipson but it's still a big need at this point.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They save their jobs by doing what’s best for the team, short AND long term.

Everyone says the McCaskeys are dumb, but to judge a GM based completely on one season’s W-L record is beyond stupid. Many fans seem to be that stupid, it seems...

the only people who are stupid are those who transpose their own personal beliefs with those of ownership and the GM and head coach.

just because you personally disagree with it doesn't mean that isn't what they're trying to do.

Hell, I disagree with it but even so I'm not going to let my personal bias influence what I actually see and also know of the history of GMs and head coaches in a make or break year.

A lot of you are saying that if the Bears don't do XYZ then they aren't trying to save their jobs, but most of you aren't even looking at it from their perspective; only your own as a fan.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nobody mentioning it but we also still need a SS with T.Gipson now a free agent. I don't think that will be our #20 pick and think they'll go the free agency route to fill that need and would like that to be them bringing back Gipson but it's still a big need at this point.

Seems like one of those positions you can always get a one year rental at. Assuming that's the plan again as well. Can also find a starter there in the later rounds too.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still think the Bears address WR via FA and probably CB too. TY Hilton and Sammy Watkins are still out there and so is K'waun Williams who could fill our nickel CB. Maybe we find some value in FA now that the frenzy is over.

I would be shocked if QB or OT wasn't the pick in the 1st, but they did blow a hole in CB with the release of Fuller and there should be value there too.

I agree that we should wait on WR. There should be a good slot available in the 3rd. ILB and S should be in the mix in the middle rounds too.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
The Ifedi signing gives us flexibility on draft day but it doesn’t preclude taking a tackle at 20. The same could be said about bringing in Trufant.

As far as drafting a QB, why are we visiting all these pro days if we have no interest in bringing a kid in? It’s hard to imagine going into this year without a developmental guy.

We really do need a third WR though. I like that kid Dazz Newsome a lot. He could be used like SF did with Deebo Samuel his rookie year (lots of schemed looks). Dazz is also a nasty return man so lots of immediate impact and value with him.

Overall, I think 20 is pretty wide open, but after that we’ll see Pace doing his targeted thing.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
-Asked about Mac Jones at 20 and he doesn't think the Bears will take a QB there. Said how will a QB help this team win in 2021

In summary...

no QB drafted high up as they need contributors for 2021

This somewhat concerns me. The 2022 QB group isn't supposed to be that good. Granted, we are a year away and haven't had full college seasons to evaluate, so it's hard to tell.

Eitherway, if 2021 flops you could have a high pick, but no viable QB solution for a while.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
the only people who are stupid are those who transpose their own personal beliefs with those of ownership and the GM and head coach.

just because you personally disagree with it doesn't mean that isn't what they're trying to do.

Hell, I disagree with it but even so I'm not going to let my personal bias influence what I actually see and also know of the history of GMs and head coaches in a make or break year.

A lot of you are saying that if the Bears don't do XYZ then they aren't trying to save their jobs, but most of you aren't even looking at it from their perspective; only your own as a fan.
FA is to sign top players (if you have the cap), to add vets at lower cost to fill in for a year or two, and to maybe pick up a guy who busted somewhere else but you hope he can turn it around for you. In other words, FA is mostly for NOW, with some benefit down the road as well.

The draft, no matter if the GM is on the hot seat or not, is for the FUTURE. Sure, you might get lucky and draft someone who plays well from the start. But that is not the goal, nor is it be expected.

Again...FA is mostly to benefit NOW, and the draft is mostly for the FUTURE. Comprende?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I didn't think of WR as that big of a need, but with A-Rob likely gone next year one way or another, makes sense to grab someone this year to develop.

Same can also be said for the OT position as well, with Leno definitely a casualty next season. So you have to see OT as a bigger need than WR, because at least we are competent this year at WR with what we have, and perhaps not so much at OT.

Which leaves CB, which sadly is the biggest need right now, and they have to draft a starter. So don't be surprised to see a CB go at 20.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
wait until they have to confront the enormous albatross of the Khalil Mack contract as he ages and declines

i think it's outrageous to continue to ignore the single most important position on the team because they missed on Trubisky...the Cardinals went back to the well and found their guy and moved on

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
I will be highly disappointed if they draft a CB at 20. You had Kyle Fuller there. Highly unlikely a rookie makes you a better football team on that side of the ball. I think Pace needs to invest some high round picks into the offense, specifically the OL. I wouldn't be upset if Etienne fell in their laps at 20.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
They also need an edge rusher who is not expensive, old or bad.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will be highly disappointed if they draft a CB at 20. You had Kyle Fuller there. Highly unlikely a rookie makes you a better football team on that side of the ball. I think Pace needs to invest some high round picks into the offense, specifically the OL. I wouldn't be upset if Etienne fell in their laps at 20.

I would like him on a Bears roster too. Just don't see it happening.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Wr-cb-ot....those should be the top 3 picks.....and they could go in a number of directions depending on who they fall in love with and we should jump the gun at who they pick in round one....say they are in love with a wr (prob the position they can fill the easiest in round 3 but)

R1) Bateman

R2) lots of possible projected LT are in this range....cosmi, radunz, eichenberg

R3) outside corner

Vs

R1) OT

Only LT possible here are Darrisaw (if he drops) with Jenkins looking like RT and Tucker looking like guard

R2) cb

r3) wr

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I don't think they'll go cornerback with the first two picks. Kyle Fuller was let go because Jaylon Johnson and Kindle Vildor both showed big promise in 2020, he may add a later round pick but I wouldn't expect an early corner.

Still think the most likely path is quarterback, and that the Bears are trying to put teams off the scent. There are a lot of trade-up candidates clustered around tenth overall and my guess is that is what they have ambitions to try and do. Ryan Pace's failure to find a quarterback has become pathological, and his strategy to this point has been gross overpays for middling talent. There's no reason not to expect that trend to continue.

Meanwhile if even half the resources that have been poured into quarterback longshots had been put towards offensive tackle the Bears probably could make it work with Nick Foles or Andy Dalton next year.