Biggs this morning...

Speed

Liked Posts:
It honestly is a bad year to draft a qb though

Maybe, but I'm tired of kicking the can. It doesn't even have to be a Round 1 QB, just get someone with some starter upside. We were promised a QB would be drafted every year until he found the guy. So far, it's not looking good.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Maybe, but I'm tired of kicking the can. It doesn't even have to be a Round 1 QB, just get someone with some starter upside. We were promised a QB would be drafted every year until he found the guy. So far, it's not looking good.

Look at the year Grossman was drafted. #1 qb overall ended up being an average quarterback and the rest bombed out of the league, setting those franchises back 4-5 years.

Sometimes it's good to kick the can.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
This somewhat concerns me. The 2022 QB group isn't supposed to be that good. Granted, we are a year away and haven't had full college seasons to evaluate, so it's hard to tell.

Eitherway, if 2021 flops you could have a high pick, but no viable QB solution for a while.
The trubisky draft was suppose to be one of the historically worst qb drafts. We know how that turned out lol. They should put an asterisk on every draft with a disclaimer every draft is a bad qb draft if you’re the bears

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The trubisky draft was suppose to be one of the historically worst qb drafts. We know how that turned out lol. They should put an asterisk on every draft with a disclaimer every draft is a bad qb draft if you’re the bears

I do remember that, but consensus changed after the combine.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Why do people think the Bears need to win in 2021?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Lines up with what I'm thinking. You're not signing Dalton at $10mil to join Foles at $7 mil just to draft a QB to play over both those guys.

Going WR is fine in Rd. 1 but we need to address the tackle spot in a meaningful way. If not the 1st then definitely the second. Considering how strong the WR field is, it makes sense to grab a tackle in Rd. 1 and then maybe a WR in the 2nd or beyond. Might make more sense to trade down a little bit even.
You would be drafting a QB to take over for both those guys in a year, when neither are here any longer.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Lol, they are totally going to go another year without drafting a quarterback. I fucking hate this team.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Because they restructured a bunch of contracts and kicked the higher cap hits down the road. You only do that in a "win now" mode.
It happens every single year to many, many teams.

You read WAY too much into it...lol

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It happens every single year to many, many teams.

You read WAY too much into it...lol

Yes, to teams that need to win. (much of the league)

You think they did it for the hell of it? So they can sign more free agents in a rebuilding year? You only do that if the goal is to win.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Look at the year Grossman was drafted. #1 qb overall ended up being an average quarterback and the rest bombed out of the league, setting those franchises back 4-5 years.

Sometimes it's good to kick the can.

They should've still been working at it even when they had Mitch. After Year 2 I guess there was some optimism there, but after he came out for that lethargic Year 3 all the signs were pointing to him not being the guy.

I mean I get it, don't just choose a guy for the sake of it, but conversely not picking anyone is a 100% chance at missing out. They're in a trap of their own design at this point.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yes, to teams that need to win. (much of the league)

You think they did it for the hell of it? So they can sign more free agents in a rebuilding year? You only do that if the goal is to win.
I don't dispute this to some extent, but really they would have had to do most of this no matter what. When the cap drops $30mil from where you anticipated it was going to be, you have to take measures.

Dalton and a bunch of second and third tier signings is what they've actually done, plus cut one of their best players. So it's likely they are trying to win, but what they've added isn't really much - not one person who you'd pencil in as a starter on a good team.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
It honestly is a bad year to draft a qb though

Not sure where you are getting that info. 5 QBs could be taken in the first half of the 1st round. Historically, that is amazing.

1st round QB selections:
2009: 2
2010: 2
2011: 4
2012: 4
2013: 1
2014: 3
2015: 2
2016: 3
2017: 3
2018: 5
2019: 3
2020: 4

So its tied for the best NFL QB draft in the last 11 seasons, and that's bad. WOW.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't dispute this to some extent, but really they would have had to do most of this no matter what. When the cap drops $30mil from where you anticipated it was going to be, you have to take measures.

Dalton and a bunch of second and third tier signings is what they've actually done, plus cut one of their best players. So it's likely they are trying to win, but what they've added isn't really much - not one person who you'd pencil in as a starter on a good team.

If you're rebuilding then you could have cut your way down to the cap just as easily. They chose to restructure their way out of things. Outside of Fuller of course.

Luke

Liked Posts:
If you're rebuilding then you could have cut your way down to the cap just as easily. They chose to restructure their way out of things. Outside of Fuller of course.

they wouldn't tag a player for 18mil for one thing which would have kept them from kicking the can down the road on Mack AGAIN leaving 30, 28 and 26 mil cap hits in 2022-204. This not a QB we are talking about here nor is his name Aaron Donald.

There is no question they are in win now mode.
anyone suggesting otherwise is simply not paying enough attention.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Of course they are trying to win now, it just isn't going to go well because no matter what they did they weren't going to be able to improve the team very much given their cap situation.

Maybe that's a clearer version of what I was trying to say.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Of course they are trying to win now, it just isn't going to go well because no matter what they did they weren't going to be able to improve the team very much given their cap situation.

Maybe that's a clearer version of what I was trying to say.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they are doing this well or that it will end up well.
Thats what you get when you keep these guys around another year because management didn't want to eat the coaching staff and Pace's money.