Biggs this morning...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone is suggesting that they are doing this well or that it will end up well.
Thats what you get when you keep these guys around another year because management didn't want to eat the coaching staff and Pace's money.
You and I have both made this point numerous times.

It's the core issue for sure.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
They save their jobs by doing what’s best for the team, short AND long term.

Everyone says the McCaskeys are dumb, but to judge a GM based completely on one season’s W-L record is beyond stupid. Many fans seem to be that stupid, it seems...

What about overall record of a team during the tenure of the GM and Head Coach? If judging a GM based on wins and losses over the entirety of his regime is stupid which includes the most recent year, I guess you're a complete genius who totally does not have a cheerleading attitude towards a mediocre franchise and the rest of us have nonworking branes.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Because they restructured a bunch of contracts and kicked the higher cap hits down the road. You only do that in a "win now" mode.

I didn’t ask whether the Bears are trying to win now. I’m questioning whether they need to.

I think Pace’s job is safe, and I think he knows it. I don’t see any reason to believe otherwise. Why would the Bears’ ownership choose this year as their ultimate? They’ve already shown they like the guys and don’t believe in accountability.

Pace is part of the McCaskey family now. He’s not going anywhere, and I legitimately wonder why anyone would believe he is.

I look at this offseason, and I don’t see any “Oh shit, my job is in jeopardy” moves—not that those types of moves are inherently good. Just pointing out that the Bears likely don’t *need* to win in 2021.

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's a lot of ways they could go here.

The OT, WR, CB classes are all deep this year. Depending on who is there, I would think you could see any one of these positions taken in rounds 1-3

We don't know what OT, WR or CB will be available at 20 right now and to just blindly point to one position is jumping the gun just a bit.

I firmly believe these should be the first 3 picks. In whatever order brings the most impact/sure hits. Also the most expensive to get a really good one in FA, so drafting early makes total sense.

How about using some of those late picks to move up in the 3rd...even back into 2nd for a possible starter at any of these 3 positions??

Even if OT isn't taken til 3rd pick it's beyond critical...much to the complete ignorance of Nagy/Pace.

Worse (& I don't hear about this often), I think Nagy's scheme necessitates a very smart and nimble type of OT to do it NAGY's way. He could very well waste a very good OT prospect with bad scheme fit. ?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone is suggesting that they are doing this well or that it will end up well.
Thats what you get when you keep these guys around another year because management didn't want to eat the coaching staff and Pace's money.

Didn’t want to eat the money? They gave Pace an extension to line him up with Nagy. I think the fact that they changed his contract language on their website and wouldn’t answer whether Pace got a new contract are pretty clear indications of that.

The reason Pace is safe isn’t because the McCaskeys are trying to save money. It’s because they like the guy. He’s a made man now. I’d bet almost anything he’s the new Ted Phillips whenever Teddy retires.

Reactions: DC

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have A rob and Mooney. if they get another wide receiver it'll be some really fast guy who they tell just to run go routes most of the season.

Can get a basic raw speed WR later in Rd. 5 (or move up into 4 using the later picks)

What if they go

1. WR
2. CB
3. OT
5. QB
Let's hope not. They have ARob and Mooney. Leno and Mills have been a disaster for two years running.

The OL is critical on every single snap.
WRs might get their hands on the ball 5-10 times a game.

^ Can they not do this, solve 3 huge holes AND still take a swing at R. Wilson this summer if things break down in SEA!???
Further, they still have Jimmy G to recruit FWIW. ?

------------------------------------
+ Ifedi will be the RT. He's been okay at it enough to get that nod. But...

LENO MUST BE REPLACED YESTERDAY. That couldn't be more obvious after seeing what his shit protection did to the non-mobile Foles. D Monty's killing it, but needs some damn blocking as proven by the #s since he got here.
- Most yards after contact,
- higher % of his yards are after contact than any other RB, and
- shit yds/rush #s before Nagy gave up play calling and they faced some cupcakes.
Can't have more of Leno with non-mobile Dalton back there if they want to save their jobs.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Biggs isn't always right, but I could see him being dialed in on the first round pick.

As much as I would love to see Leno replaced, aside from the penalties he's an average offensive lineman and I don't think the Bears would be able to guarantee better.
He is not an average lineman. Watch the Tape never lies and you will see how BAD he is

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
He is not an average lineman. Watch the Tape never lies and you will see how BAD he is
Leno’s mom probably has to use more laundry detergent then any other football mom in the NFL. That’s how often he’s on the ground not doing anything.

ErinAndrewsPeephole

Liked Posts:
I would love for Chicago to trade back to the early second round, pick up a third-round pick and then go something like 2 (OT - Eichenberg), 3 (WR Rodgers), 3 (QB Davis Mills). Maybe pick up another developmental OT/G (Cole Van Lanen -Wisconsin) late and some 5-6 round receivers (Fehko, the Iowa kid or Illinois kid can't remember their names) or developmental CB (Ambry Thomas-Michigan)

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
- He talked to a league exec who said Trufant is a depth signing at minimal value
-expects Houston-Carson back
-this team needs to win next year
-Asked about Mac Jones at 20 and he doesn't think the Bears will take a QB there. Said how will a QB help this team win in 2021
-asked about a big trade up for QB's after Trevor. He said It would make sense for George to OK a massive trade for RW but seriously doubts that George would allow similar for a rookie who could be the next Trubisky.
-When asked about the draft he said...
-Bears need to help Dalton out as they tried to get Golladay.
-He thinks they could go WR at 20 and cited Justin Jefferson as an example from last year
-They are tight up against the cap and doesn't think they paid Ifedi 4.25mil to be a super sub so no OT at 20
-expects CB in round 2 like last year, Trufant isn't an answer

In summary...

no QB drafted high up as they need contributors for 2021
expects them to bring in an impact WR and starting caliber CB

His analysis fits my analysis as well. I see Pace picking up an immediate starter in the first and second. He will probably pick up two skill positions, a WR and CB, the value is what will determine which goes first or second. I think they pick a QB in the third, probably Mond or that kid from Stanton.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
What about overall record of a team during the tenure of the GM and Head Coach? If judging a GM based on wins and losses over the entirety of his regime is stupid which includes the most recent year, I guess you're a complete genius who totally does not have a cheerleading attitude towards a mediocre franchise and the rest of us have nonworking branes.
Nagy and Pace haven’t had a losing season together yet. 2 playoff births, with 1 divisional title. I mean, if you’re going off of what they’ve done.

They were not fired. Get over it. We all have to.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Nagy and Pace haven’t had a losing season together yet. 2 playoff births, with 1 divisional title. I mean, if you’re going off of what they’ve done.

They were not fired. Get over it. We all have to.
You're content with mediocrity and being stuck in quicksand. That's your prerogative. I have no interest in this gradually sinking ship and this organization bores the hell out of me. When the McCaskeys are gone or when the team gets a HOF QB then they will pique my interest again.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
So no rookie QB to get in the pipeline, no O-Line help for two bad, immobile QBs they do have, and using one of the first two picks to replace the Pro Bowler you just let walk?

Bears are pure shit.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
You're content with mediocrity and being stuck in quicksand. That's your prerogative. I have no interest in this gradually sinking ship and this organization bores the hell out of me. When the McCaskeys are gone or when the team gets a HOF QB then they will pique my interest again.
I never said I’m content. I wanted them fired too. But they weren’t.

So since they aren’t going anywhere, I choose to try to see the plan on what they are doing. And yes, there is a plan. Whether it works or not is debatable, and will be proven in time. But short of a 4-12 season or something like it, Pace and Nagy are going nowhere. Enjoy it, or do something other than whine on a message board for the next 8-9 months...

greg23

Liked Posts:
Walterfootball Mock has QB Jones, WR Waddle and OT Darrisaw available at 20 and Bears taking OT Leatherwood. Don't know how you pass on WR Waddle at 20. Him and Mooney would make a great tandem going forward.

So we take the worst of the 4 prospects and a questionable 2nd round pick who probably isn't a LT at #20

#soundslikeryanpace

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So they need to win but won’t address the most important positions to do so? Sounds Bears.

Perspective

Liked Posts:
Because they restructured a bunch of contracts and kicked the higher cap hits down the road. You only do that in a "win now" mode.
Bears and tons of other teams restructure contracts a the time .... it’s a testament to how the Mccaskeys r cool with cash flow .... a team like the packers cannot do that