Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
And this is why you stick to insults and downvotes non of that has anything to do with what I said about the OL..
Ok chief, whatever you say. Think I've been pretty fair to you but if that's what you think, okay then.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
No you havent. What are the WRs separation numbers compared to the rest of the NFL? You example is anecdotal not statisitical. We have seen him miss guys open underneath but also seen exampkes where guys are not open. You have provided zero data to determine how frequent one us over the other. You want us to just take your word for it.

The problem is Trevor's 7.2 air yards led to only 10 points. Fields air yards of 9.8 led to 30 points the last few weeks so part of holding the ball longer is bigger rewards. Whether that reward is throwing or scrambling.

No the big plays also come from the fact he has the 2nd highest air yards per pass in the NFL. So it is his legs plus attacking down field. He doesnt have a lot of passing yards because he doesnt throw a lot but when he does throw he is attacking further downfield than all but 1 QB.
Take my word for what? I made my case and backed it up with statistical data, you on the other hand have provided nothing to back up your counter argument. Other that talking air yards and 10 points. The problem with this analysis is that if my memory is correct his air yards have been high all year, even when he also was averaging 10 points a game. The difference was his running.

I'm at a gymnastics meet so can't look it up, but if I'm correct about his air yards then your theory does not hold up

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
@remydat yep just like I thought, first 6 games his average IAY was 9.63 yards, The next 5 games was when we started putting up around 30 points. his average IAY DROPPED down to 9.16. Statistically its not much of a drop, but its still a drop and what this stat shows is that the difference in production was because of his legs like I said and not his arm like you said. Your hypothesis does not hold up to scrutiny when looking at the data.

The ONLY 2 conclusions to the increase in the OL is either because Fields is causing most of the issues OR the Jets D just had a bad game causing an artificial increase in the OL production. This is a possibility and another game with Trevor behind center will give us more data.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
@remydat yep just like I thought, first 6 games his average IAY was 9.63 yards, The next 5 games was when we started putting up around 30 points. his average IAY DROPPED down to 9.16. Statistically its not much of a drop, but its still a drop and what this stat shows is that the difference in production was because of his legs like I said and not his arm like you said. Your hypothesis does not hold up to scrutiny when looking at the data.

The ONLY 2 conclusions to the increase in the OL is either because Fields is causing most of the issues OR the Jets D just had a bad game causing an artificial increase in the OL production. This is a possibility and another game with Trevor behind center will give us more data.

I think we need more data. But I think you are on to something. Impressive work!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Take my word for what? I made my case and backed it up with statistical data, you on the other hand have provided nothing to back up your counter argument. Other that talking air yards and 10 points. The problem with this analysis is that if my memory is correct his air yards have been high all year, even when he also was averaging 10 points a game. The difference was his running.

I'm at a gymnastics meet so can't look it up, but if I'm correct about his air yards then your theory does not hold up

You did? Where did you show WR separation numbers compared to the rest of the league? Please link.

Sorry you are confused. I said the big plays come from both not just one exclusively. Early in the season it was just largely passing but later in the season it was passing and running ie both. So the above analysis does not address my argument as I never claimed it was solely the result of his passing.

The other conclusion is Trevor threw a lot of safe passes that dont generate points hence why we only scored 10. By contrast Fields holds the ball looking for longer developing routes or opportunities to scramble as he hunts for big plays. Hence why a lot of mobile QBs tend to take more sacks. That includes a guy like Joe Burrow who is adamanat he will take sacks while looking to make a play.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He completed 50% because he is a back up QB that isnt very good that was playing hurt. I could understand this argument if I said he was a good QB, he is not, he is aback up for a reason.

And yes Fields makes the OL look much worse.. here are the facts for 2022..

Fields gets pressured 28.9% of the time
Trevor got pressured 20.7% of the time
The Jets average pressures are 24.7%

So not only did Trevor improve over what Fields did, Our OL held one of the best pressure D to under what they average.

What about sacks this year?
Fields gets sacked 14.9% of his drop backs
Trevor got sacked 7.1% of his drop backs
The Jets average a sack 10% of the pass attempts

So not only did Trevor cut the sacks in half over Fields our OL also held a great D to under what they average as well.

I'm sorry that one of your rexcuses got ruined.. But the facts are the facts.. The OL is not as bad as Fields is making them look.

It's almost like our starting RG was playing again. At RT, Reiff looked good for a bit but was shit the previous week. Borom will miss assignments but seems better when he's doesn't space out. Reiff doesn't miss assignments but...

That and if you think Getsy called a similar game for the backup, you're crazy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You did. Where did you show WR separation numbers compared to the rest of the league? Please link.

Sorry you are confused. I said the big plays come from both not just one exclusively. Early in the season it was just largely passing but later in the season it was passing and running ie both. So the above analysis does not address my argument as I never claimed it was solely the result of his passing.
This and when he runs, it's often a situation where a non running QB may have made a 'big play' with his arm instead... or thrown a pick etc but it easily explains a minor % change in that passing stat. Fields will take the 1st easy read which is a run instead of forcing a downfield throw. That's a good thing. So many called runs is not IMO but it also replaces some downfield throws.

His data point is statistically irrelevant with so many variables of competition, situational calls which includes roster changes, conditions and injuries.

Also, Jets rush may have simply been stifled by horrendous field conditions. One fucking game with too many variables and a D that couldn't even scheme and dbldrew has a revelation.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This and when he runs, it's often a situation where a non running QB may have made a 'big play' with his arm instead... or thrown a pick etc but it easily explains a minor % change in that passing stat. Fields will take the 1st easy read which is a run instead of forcing a downfield throw. That's a good thing. So many called runs is not IMO but it also replaces some downfield throws.

His data point is statistically irrelevant with so many variables of competition, situational calls which includes roster changes, conditions and injuries.

Also, Jets rush may have simply been stifled by horrendous field conditions. One fucking game with too many variables and a D couldn't even scheme and dbldrew has a revelation.

Yeah it is really just lazy analysis that really doesnt address all the variables that go into this.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah it is really just lazy analysis that really doesnt address all the variables that go into this.
It's not really analysis at all. It's rationalization with so little oversight and data.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
9412EF13-BDC2-432B-8F4E-705259605747.jpeg
Fields 2TD pass 1 rushing td

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
You did? Where did you show WR separation numbers compared to the rest of the league? Please link.

The other conclusion is Trevor threw a lot of safe passes that dont generate points hence why we only scored 10. By contrast Fields holds the ball looking for longer developing routes or opportunities to scramble as he hunts for big plays. Hence why a lot of mobile QBs tend to take more sacks. That includes a guy like Joe Burrow who is adamanat he will take sacks while looking to make a play.
I didnt show WR separation, I didnt make a WR argument, you did. Its up to you to back up your argument not me. If you think thats a good argument then back it up with stats. BUT comparing WR separation vs the rest of the league is meaningless information for the debate we are having now. We are talking OL and why they improved when a QB change was made so you would have to show that the WR separation was terrible with Fields and improved with Trevor for that argument to be valid.

And lets recap on the "big play" argument

3. It seems claim that the reward of Fields holding the ball longer is bigger players hence why we were scoring 30 points with him and only 10 points with Trevor.
then I replied with..
The bigger plays are coming because of his legs not his arm, he was averaging 144ypg before the "change" into running, and he is averaging 154ypg after. The big change with him is he ran more, something that he is great at, but something that does nothing to help him turn into a dual threat QB. To be a dual threat QB he needs to be good as a passer as well.
then you came back with..
The problem is Trevor's 7.2 air yards led to only 10 points. Fields air yards of 9.8 led to 30 points the last few weeks so part of holding the ball longer is bigger rewards. Whether that reward is throwing or scrambling.

No the big plays also come from the fact he has the 2nd highest air yards per pass in the NFL. So it is his legs plus attacking down field. He doesnt have a lot of passing yards because he doesnt throw a lot but when he does throw he is attacking further downfield than all but 1 QB.
So again I said the change was because of his legs, the stats and data backs that up. His ypg is about the same, his air yards is about the same, his comp% is about the same. Statistically his passing attack didnt change much, but his running stats sure did. Which is why I said the bigger plays are because of his legs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@dbldrew

No you made an argument that he is holding the ball too long. I pointed out you haven't done enough to prove that argument as you haven't assessed other variables such as WR separation. If he is holding the ball because at the end of his drop back the WRs are not open then the fault lies with the WR. All you have done is claimed that you have seen guys open but you have provided no data to prove that is the main reason. First you claimed you had and now you are claim it is not your obligation but that is false. It is your obligation because you are trying to argue the holding the ball too long is entirely Field's fault but again you have not ruled out other variables. That is what makes your analysis lazy.

Umm the point was the increased scoring was because of both ie his arm and his legs. It is both. Not just one or the other. Early in the season he was throwing down field but there was no short game so drives were stalling. Now he is throwing down field and supplementing that by also running so that is sustaining drives and allowing them to put up points. He has effectively used his legs to substitute for a short passing game.