BREAKING: Browns Release Josh Gordon - Pace, PICK UP THE FONE!

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
Unless it was a conditional 7th rounder, I would not trade for this guy.

I would sign him to an one-year, veteran minimum contract. Don't need to give up draft captial.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
All the talent in the world......and the guy can't help himself pulling defeat out of the jaws of victory. A Head Case. Cleveland finally had enough and will try and trade him outside of the division. Might be more trouble than he's worth?! I could go either way here. Kick the tires......due diligence. But.....the caution flag is out....

Makes sense for the Browns to trade him to Denver?! (CA, MA, and WA are also options?!)

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just read that Gordon injured his hammy on a promotional "shoot". Don't know whether it was for the Browns or him personally. If true, and at this point it is a rumor, if he got hurt doing a commercial, and he was late to practice this week, they may have finally said, "enough is enough". They gave him every opportunity. I am sure that they had their medical staff try to help him.

I didn't know the Bears were so weak at WR they needed to pick up a guy who didn't play for a year and is one "strike" away from another year out of football~at least. So, in my mind, pass.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Depends but if one of the underlying issues is anxiety then you aren't going to solve that by treating the person as a criminal. Doesn't matter what the rehab facility says when Gordon can turn on the TV and see people labeling him an asshole drug addict based largely off of the fact the NFL suspended him for several years for substance abuse rather than framing it as him getting help for his mental illness.

Like do you think a guy who just smokes weed recreationally should be treated the same as a guy who has legit anxiety issues and smokes weed to calm himself down? Those are two completely different issues. The NFL needs a policy for mental illness instead of just punishing everyone as part of substance abuse.

His first suspension was 2 games...
At that point nobody was calling him a bust.
He went on to be named an all-pro that same year. The following spring he got busted again... after an off season as the NFL leading all pro receiver.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Yeah, bring in a head case to ruin the locker room. That should help. Worked wonders when Marshall came to town.

I'm super glad Pace is running the team, not the idiots on this forum. :)

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
When this guy is right and has his head right he's a top 5 WR talent in the NFL but i don't see any way the Bears even try to get him and if they did try then i don't see him choosing the Bears over teams like the Pats, Packers, Seattle, Oak and others that have all been mentioned as teams that have already shown interest in trading for him. Lets just hope the Packers don't get him. I have him in 4 money leagues in fantasy so i hope he goes somewhere that he'll get a ton of use.....just not the packers.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I've never heard of anyone calling him an asshole or a cancer. Everything I've heard indicated he's a real nice guy with problems.

I think you made that shit up.

I think the correct way to put it is that he could end up being a distraction for a team but wouldn't say he's an asshole but when he's showing up late to meetings and all the media attention he's gonna receive for whichever team gets him could absolutely become a distraction for a team.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Schefter says Gordon wants to go to San Fran or Dallas.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
Those who want him here. Who do they cut to make room for him?
Even if they were to cut say Bellamy (which hurts your special teams) he’s still going to take playing time away from Miller and Gabriel. Miller in particular needs the reps. Trubisky needs to learn to work with these guys adding Gordon into the mix would be dumb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His first suspension was 2 games...
At that point nobody was calling him a bust.
He went on to be named an all-pro that same year. The following spring he got busted again... after an off season as the NFL leading all pro receiver.

Didn't say anything about him being a bust.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Astute observation, but it doesn't change the fact that Josh Gordon has played in about 4 games in 3+ years.
I'm not disputing that, I was just pointing out that your statement was apples and oranges. One has nothing to do with the other.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
From the article- the guy was suspended for 56 of a possible 97 games.... and I would imagine the next suspension will be a lot longer. Missed a full year because of it. what is the next level?

If there was a useless guy to cut and bring him in for a tiny price...would be worth a try.
I doubt it will work out for him though- sounds like his mental health needs would be a little too demanding to allow for a NFL career and the time it eats up.
If he couldnt get back on track after 2015, he needs one hell of a lot more support than he would be able to get during a season.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The weed is top shelf there.

Everyone keeps bringing up weed but Gordon himself said Alcohol, Xanax and Cocaine were his main issues, i know he smoked weed as well but his drug issues are much more then just weed and i actually think his number issue has always been the drink. I really don't think the Bears will show any interest in trying to get him and think it's a good choice not to cause there's just way too many issues with him even after the drug and alcohol issues.

Liked Posts:
I heard on the radio today that he realizes he can't choose where he gets traded to but his choices are the Nines and Cowboys, he wants to go to a place where he can get the help he requires for his issues.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I heard on the radio today that he realizes he can't choose where he gets traded to but his choices are the Nines and Cowboys, he wants to go to a place where he can get the help he requires for his issues.

Yeah i just posted on the last page that Schefter said San Fran and Dallas are his top two choices. If they can't trade him then they'll cut him and he can choose but you gotta think a team will at least give up a 7th rounder for him.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Someone is going to sign him to close near vet minimum I'd imagine. I dont know how he could justify demanding much more.

If he gets his head on straight, (i know it's a big IF at this point..) the salary cap ramifications of having a player of his caliber signed for so little could be glorious. This is how good teams win championships - expert use of cap resources, usually via players on their rookie deals still, but outperform the overpriced vets. This would be an outlier that could make a GM look genius.

Again, could... big if, obviously..