Breaking Down Cole Kmet

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Shaheen vs Kmet

Both physically gifted.....drafted in the second...

Big difference was the competition they played against.

Kmet is a very physical player. In his routes, after the catch, when he blocks. Shaheen just is not.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He looks slower than his 40 time in game speed but then again most tight end plays are finding gaps vs truly beating someone with their speed. He’s smart and tough as nails so he’ll be good but a second rounder? I hope so

When you see him open up in a straight line down the seam or when he gets the ball you see the 4.7.

He isn't super fluid.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Thanks for the breakdown. As an ND person, I'm not mad that we drafted him but I think Claypool had a lot more growth as a prospect than Kmet does. Kmet popped up quietly last season and then was reliable in 2019. Claypool was a dominant part of the offense for longer, IMO.

I'd be happy with another Dez Clark as someone else comped him, that guy was reliable.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Is someone giving a thumbs up or thumbs down?

Plenty are here and you very well know that.

I must have missed that in the OP.

Don't be obtuse. I am talking generally across the board, and yes that will include you once you eventually do give your thumbs up or down as you do that too. Is what it is.

This time I am going to do a thorough breakdown.

I must have missed that in the OP. There was no breakdown, only a play-by-play summary of one game in college. Can't wait to see this breakdown when it happens and to also watch in astonishment if you actually do NOT give a thumbs up or down but wait to see what he has / what he does /. what he fails to do.

When you DO give your eventual thumbs up or down, I will still find it as irrational as I do the rest of those who do that here.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kmet is a very physical player. In his routes, after the catch, when he blocks. Shaheen just is not.

I think they are both physical...but Shaheen could not make the transition

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think they are both physical...but Shaheen could not make the transition

Shaheen was struggling to block guys at the division II level when he was 6" taller and 30lbs heavier than guys.

That should have been a red flag.

Shaheen just gets tossed around at the NFL level.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Shaheen was struggling to block guys at the division II level when he was 6" taller and 30lbs heavier than guys.

That should have been a red flag.

Shaheen just gets tossed around at the NFL level.

I see the CFL draft is tonight.
Whats your big board look like, wheres the mocks?
Are you on the CCS of the north?

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Per pro football focus:
TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame (43)

Kmet has very few reps on his tape that show him getting open one-on-one rather than a result of being schemed space. That’s concerning for a top-50 pick.

I agree, I may end up being wrong but I just don’t see the value in the pick! Granted, the draft didn’t have many wr’s left when we drafted but I don’t like this pick and am afraid pace’s luck will rub off and endup being another bust on o

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
When you see him open up in a straight line down the seam or when he gets the ball you see the 4.7.

He isn't super fluid.

He’s a couple happy meals away from being our next LT.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Per pro football focus:
TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame (43)

Kmet has very few reps on his tape that show him getting open one-on-one rather than a result of being schemed space. That’s concerning for a top-50 pick.

I agree, I may end up being wrong but I just don’t see the value in the pick! Granted, the draft didn’t have many wr’s left when we drafted but I don’t like this pick and am afraid pace’s luck will rub off and endup being another bust on o

There are not many reps where he is covered 1 on 1.

Part of me wonders if this is just a lack of opportunity. He is so damn big that against Georgia anyway they were not really putting him 1 on 1.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I understand this pick.

Kmet shows up tomorrow and has a role in the offense and is an upgrade. What he is right now does not seem like it is worth a 2nd round pick.

He needs to develop to be worth the pick. The tools and the one season of flashes need to become more of a consistent reality.

This is why I think Johnson was a better pick. Johnson skills and tape are starting NFL CB level,

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dez Clark was a converted WR

Dez was also 6'2" 240lbs.

Kmet is enormous, he is never going to look like a fluid route runner. But the guys you would compare him to, Gronk on the high end, Rudolph on the realistic end do not look like smooth route runners.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The more I watch Kmet the less I worry that he is going to be a Shaheen like bust.

I worry that he is going to be a blocking TE who only catches 25 passes a season and isn't really a threat in the passing game.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Maybe the best comparison is Rudolph from the Vikings. Just a big TE who doesn’t have much wiggle to his game but is kinda fast and can catch