Breaking Down Cole Kmet

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He is a good blocker. He can obviously get better, but the tape is there.

I have not watched Georgia, Virginia Tech, Virginia, and Boston College. In all of them you are getting more good than bad when it comes to his blocking.

He also blocks a ton.

Not according to scouting reports that list it as a weakness.

Look you are free to believe what you want but the official scouting report is that he needs a lot of work as a blocker. The tape shows a very inconsistent blocker who had a great game against Georgia that he never replicated for the rest of the season.

You are saying keep in mind Georgia was 6 weeks after a collarbone injury but the reality is he had 9 other games after Georgia for us to seem him get healthier and better and frankly he just flatlined. Granted that flatline was still good enough for him to get drafted in the 2nd but there really was no significant progression in season.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Who were the other 4. I assume they were left out because they sucked.

I know our beloved Kellen Davis was 6-6, 259 and ran a 4.6 40 but not sure if he is included since he was just under 260

In any event stat doesn't really mean a thing if the other 4 guys sucked as that would be a less than 50% success rate if only 3 out of 7 were good.
Just saying speed is in 20th percentile for large TEs. Not unworldly first round elite speed, but still elite.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just saying speed is in 20th percentile for large TEs. Not unworldly first round elite speed, but still elite.

Yeah dont think speed is a problem. I was just commenting on the fact the tweet didnt bother to list all 7. Just cherry pick the best of the 7.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Look you are free to believe what you want but the official scouting report is that he needs a lot of work as a blocker. The tape shows a very inconsistent blocker who had a great game against Georgia that he never replicated for the rest of the season.

You are saying keep in mind Georgia was 6 weeks after a collarbone injury but the reality is he had 9 other games after Georgia for us to seem him get healthier and better and frankly he just flatlined. Granted that flatline was still good enough for him to get drafted in the 2nd but there really was no significant progression in season.

Nor is pretty much any top receiving te prospect coming into the NFL. Finding a good blocker out of the bunch is far and few in between.

Go watch some tape of Ertz blocking at stanford. Enjoy the laugh. You don't see Kmet having "those" type of blocks.

For a prospect that was drafted due to his potential receiving skills, he's actually a decent blocker. Most of them are very underdeveloped in that portion of their game.

Kmet was taken on potential, and potential alone. If you watch his tape you can see a lot of potential in the blocking game as well. I think I'll trust Windy on this one.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nor is pretty much any top receiving te prospect coming into the NFL. Finding a good blocker out of the bunch is far and few in between.

Go watch some tape of Ertz blocking at stanford. Enjoy the laugh. You don't see Kmet having "those" type of blocks.

For a prospect that was drafted due to his potential receiving skills, he's actually a decent blocker. Most of them are very underdeveloped in that portion of their game.

Kmet was taken on potential, and potential alone. If you watch his tape you can see a lot of potential in the blocking game as well. I think I'll trust Windy on this one.

No one is disputing his potential. I am saying the narrative he is a good blocker right now is incorrect. So you just spent your whole post agreeing with me not Windy. I agree he was drafter on potential. I disagree with Windy that he is a good blocker right now. He isnt and few scouting reports claim he is. They claim he has the tools and potential to be one.

Kmet was not drafted to be like Ertz who is just a big WR playing TE. He was drafted to be a more traditional inline TE who can block and receive. Teams dont draft Ertz or Kelce hoping they become good blockers. Their value is exclusively in their receiving and anything they do blocking is gravy. Kmet was drafted on the basis he can hopefully block and receive as he needs to be good at both to really provide the value the Bears were looking for. You can be a shitty blocker when you are a 1k TE. Kmet is likely to be in the 600 yard range where you also want a good blocker.

msadows

Liked Posts:
No one is disputing his potential. I am saying the narrative he is a good blocker right now is incorrect. So you just spent your whole post agreeing with me not Windy. I agree he was drafter on potential and potential alone. I disagree he is a good blocker right now.

Kmet was not drafted to be like Ertz who is just a big WR playing TE. He was drafted to be a more traditional inline TE who can block and receive. Teams dont draft Ertz or Kelce hoping they become good blockers. Their value is exclusively in their receiving and anything they do blocking is gravy. Kmet was drafted on the basis he can hopefully block and receive as he needs to be good at both to really provide the value the Bears were looking for. You can be a shitty blocker when you are a 1k TE. Kmet is likely to be in the 600 yard range where you also want a good blocker.

Baldy disagrees with you

For a receiving prospect, I think he's an okay college blocker.

It's unfair to compare him to a strictly inline Y TE who blocks 90% of downs.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

This is the one negative comment you are locking on to?

"but his run blocking is too scattered and needs better focus and efficiency as a pro. "

The exact same scouting report

• "Will come across formation and land a blow on wham blocks
  • Adequate hand placement and runs feet through the block
  • Nice job of staying connected to base blocks with lateral slides"

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Daniel Jeremiah

"In the run game, he can effectively shield and wall off at the point of attack, and he takes good angles working up to the second level. "

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dane Brugler

enough upper body power to create movement as a blocker when he stays square and runs his legs…efficient job on pin action to help clear a path to the corner…is rarely moved when his technique is right…

Still an entry-level blocker from a consistency standpoint…upright in his pass-sets and late with his punch…must improve his set-up quickness and blocking angles to survive in pass pro…put some disappointing reps on tape as a lead blocker,

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I already linked his scouting report. Pundits are just that pundits.

Weaknesses
1. Body control and strength as a blocker need work

2.Below-average instincts and angles as move blocker

3.Inefficient and slow getting into block fits

4. Needs to play with earlier inside hands and rolled hips at point of attack

5. Too tall coming off the ball and into his routes

6. Has issues playing through contact within the first five yards

7. Upright into brakes, allowing defenders to read and jump routes

8. Questionable hand strength to secure contested catches

All of these speak to a guy that is not a good blocker right now and needs to add strength. Again if he was as good as the pundits claim then how was Georgia his best game? How do we answer the question of why he was not more dominant as the season progressed? Georgia should have been a jumping pff point for a dominant season. Instead he just coasted the rest of the way.

The best thing he has going for him is his size, athleticism and age not his actual tape which is very inconsistent especially when again no signs of significant improvement for the whole year. A young guy like that with his athleticism should be getting better and dominating as the season progresses not staying stagnant.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I already linked his scouting report. Pundits are just that pundits.

Weaknesses
1. Body control and strength as a blocker need work

2.Below-average instincts and angles as move blocker

3.Inefficient and slow getting into block fits

4. Needs to play with earlier inside hands and rolled hips at point of attack

5. Too tall coming off the ball and into his routes

6. Has issues playing through contact within the first five yards

7. Upright into brakes, allowing defenders to read and jump routes

8. Questionable hand strength to secure contested catches

All of these speak to a guy that is not a good blocker right now and needs to add strength. Again if he was as good as the pundits claim then how was Georgia his best game? How do we answer the question of why he was not more dominant as the season progressed? Georgia should have been a jumping pff point for a dominant season. Instead he just coasted the rest of the way.

The best thing he has going for him is his size, athleticism and age not his actual tape which is very inconsistent especially when again no signs of significant improvement for the whole year. A young guy like that with his athleticism should be getting better and dominating as the season progresses not staying stagnant.

Simple answer?

Ian Book and he blocks a ton.