In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Do you have any stats suggesting the field position was vastly better for the Texans?

The bears lead the nfl in interceptions, and were 5th in total takeaways. Did that not help the offense?
I'm not a stats only guy and don't care to research stats for field position... What I will give you is defensive ranking in which Houston was #11 in points vs the Bears at #20

I will also give you the amount of passing attempts per game: Houston was #12 and Chicago was #27

You see the amount of opportunities a QB has to inflate his numbers (attempts) are absolutely affected by the defense stopping the other team (points). Stats are ok but you must also be able to interpret what they mean and what they don't.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I'm not a stats only guy and don't care to research stats for field position... What I will give you is defensive ranking in which Houston was #11 in points vs the Bears at #20

I will also give you the amount of passing attempts per game: Houston was #12 and Chicago was #27

You see the amount of opportunities a QB has to inflate his numbers (attempts) are absolutely affected by the defense stopping the other team (points). Stats are ok but you must also be able to interpret what they mean and what they don't.
Are you open to the possibility that CJ stroud is a better passer and thereby the offense calls more passing plays? Also if the offense has longer possession then they have more opportunities to throw. You can interpret them how you will but unless there are other stats to back up your claims it just sounds biased 1 way or another. You are simply using your bias to interpret the stats to paint your narrative.

Back to the point of defense since you said it was Houston’s talented young defense contributing to stroud:

the bears were 12th allowing 5511 total yards, Houston was 14th allowing 5622 total yards.

Chicago was 20th allowing 379 total points, Houston 11th allowed 353.

That’s a difference of 26 which averages out to 1.5 points per game.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Are you open to the possibility that CJ stroud is a better passer and thereby the offense calls more passing plays? Also if the offense has longer possession then they have more opportunities to throw. You can interpret them how you will but unless there are other stats to back up your claims it just sounds biased 1 way or another. You are simply using your bias to interpret the stats to paint your narrative.

Back to the point of defense since you said it was Houston’s talented young defense contributing to stroud:

the bears were 12th allowing 5511 total yards, Houston was 14th allowing 5622 total yards.

Chicago was 20th allowing 379 total points, Houston 11th allowed 353.

That’s a difference of 26 which averages out to 1.5 points per game.
If the OC calls more passing plays the QB has more opportunities. In three seasons and 38 starts Justin has had +30 passing attempts NINE times. Houston gave Stroud +30 attempts TEN times this season alone. This shows clearly that Justin's passing stats have been suppressed by the play calling.

I'm not sure why I have to explain that the Bears Defense got dramatically better late in the season, but 1.5 ppg is obviously the difference between #11 and #20 so it's not the trivial amount that is being implied.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
We're not even supposed to have this pick. It's really a bonus for sucking and tanking last year, and sure it sucks passing on Stroud, but Caleb looks like an even better prospect, plus the haul was generational. The Bears improved by 4 games (should have been 7 if we could finish games) and the roster should get even better this offseason. With the improved offensive staff, this should be the best situation a number 1 pick QB could step into.

Take the generational QB prospect and don't think twice. Fields is 10-28 in 3 seasons, wildly inconsistent and injury prone, and that will get worse as he ages with his play style. If you're still wondering if he's the guy, chances are he is definitely not the guy. Do the smart thing and take the QB prospect that fell in your lap.

Canth

Liked Posts:
If the OC calls more passing plays the QB has more opportunities. In three seasons and 38 starts Justin has had +30 passing attempts NINE times. Houston gave Stroud +30 attempts TEN times this season alone. This shows clearly that Justin's passing stats have been suppressed by the play calling.

I'm not sure why I have to explain that the Bears Defense got dramatically better late in the season, but 1.5 ppg is obviously the difference between #11 and #20 so it's not the trivial amount that is being implied.

And within those attempts, Stroud and the Texans did more.

The Texans were 4th in yds/att at 7.7

Chicago was 24th at 6.7 yds/att.

If you want to break it down even further as both Stroud and Fields missed games, then we have this:

Stroud was 8.2 yds/att in his passing as a rookie

Fields was 6.9 yds/att in his 3rd year. For his career he has average 7.0 yds/att.

Fields Passing stats from Pro-Football-Reference:
1706904666374.png

Stroud Passing stats from Pro-Football-Reference:
1706904649729.png

And a bonus for Stroud Playoff passing stats, unfortunately I cannot do the same for Fields
1706904711516.png

Attachments

• 1706904604907.png
    1706904604907.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 0

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
And within those attempts, Stroud and the Texans did more.

The Texans were 4th in yds/att at 7.7

Chicago was 24th at 6.7 yds/att.
Sounds like Bobby Slowik did a great job, and it's an excellent reason to fire Getsy and offensive staff, improve the OLine (Joe Alt/Fashanu), and add more playmakers (MHJ/Bowers).

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
Sounds like Bobby Slowik did a great job, and it's an excellent reason to fire Getsy and offensive staff, improve the OLine (Joe Alt/Fashanu), and add more playmakers (MHJ/Bowers).
vast majority of pressure this year came from straight up the middle dip shit. youre just adding a rookie in hopes of replacing a guy who is league average at best on the left side of the line. why on earth WOULD WE WANT TO TAKE A LEAGUE AVERAGE PLAYER AND REPLACE HIM WITH A PLAYER OF POSSIBLY GREATER POTENTIAL? TRADE BACK FOR A HAUL AT 9 INSTEAD OF TAKING A TACKLE!