Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Stole this off of WSD's website. Questions, questions, questions… | World Series Dreaming

Brenly won't miss Ramirez - Chicago Cubs Blog - ESPN Chicago

Bob Brenly has never been a big fan of Aramis Ramirez. And with the third baseman on the verge of free agency, Brenly said it might be time to let Ramirez go.

"He's a numbers gatherer," Brenly, the Cubs television analyst, said Wednesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "He gets his stats at the end of the year every year but defensively he's just fallen off the face of the earth. As a baserunner he kills you, he's a log jammer on the bases, and I'm not buying any of this leadership for Starlin Castro stuff at all.

"That combined with the fact that he did statistically have a good year, he needs to maximize this. If this is going to be his last big contract, I think it behooves him and his agent to go out there and see what they can get in the free market. It should be a pretty sizable contract."

Ramirez played eight and a half seasons with the Cubs, and led them with 93 RBIs to go along with 26 home runs and a .306 batting average this season. He decided he would opt out of the $16 million option year, if it was picked up by the Cubs, and test free agency. He is in the final year of a five-year, $75 million contract.

Brenly said Ramirez has been a productive hitter during his time in Chicago but Brenly said Ramirez struggled in the clutch and defensively at third base.

It's hard to think back recently, especially last year, and remember any big RBIs that he had or any period of time where they won a lot of games because of the way Aramis was swinging the bat," Brenly said. "There's no question about it, you look at the stats and he's the best third baseman they've had since Ron Santo, maybe the only third baseman the Cubs have had since Ron Santo.

"A lot of pitchers would never go public with this information ... double-play balls that aren't turned because Aramis takes so long to get rid of the ball to get it to second base. He's gotten a number of second baseman just clobbered out there on double-play attempts. In the grand scheme of things it may seem like a small thing but over 162 games, the double plays that you don't turn that lead to more pitches for your pitcher, that lead to more opportunities for the opposition.

"Everything has to be tightened up. And at this stage of his career he's not going to get better defensively. For me I think maybe it's time for him to move on and go somewhere else. I'm sure he still has a number of good years left as an offensive player, but if you're looking to re-tool the team in a different image it might be time for him to go."

ping

At least someone else is seeing the same Ramirez I'm seeing....

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand his DEF not been the best but what he does makes up for it +. Scary to think that next 3B hit .250 5 HR but it be ok cause he plays good DEF. BULLCRAP. 3B is a offensive position. Losing 25 HR 90+ RBI will make the Cubs offense horrible

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand his DEF not been the best but what he does makes up for it +. Scary to think that next 3B hit .250 5 HR but it be ok cause he plays good DEF. BULLCRAP. 3B is a offensive position. Losing 25 HR 90+ RBI will make the Cubs offense horrible

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Cubs offense was already horrible this season :lol:

People don't know what they had until they're gone...it's a way of life.

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
You know why he's a numbers gatherer, because he's GOOD! The man can't win, I swear. If he does something bad, people expected him to do bad. When he succeeds, he's a numbers gatherer. Who is going to do better for the Cubs at 3rd?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any time someone asks why I don't want Brenly to be the manager of the Cubs I am going to point to this article.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bob Brenly knows what he's talking about.

A-Ram isn't god like some make him sound like.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bob Brenly knows what he's talking about.

A-Ram isn't god like some make him sound like.

The truth is in the middle abou this talent. He isn't the greatest player of all time, but even with his flaws he was one of the best offensive 3B in baseball this past season. The idea that the Cubs are getting better without Ramirez at this point is silly. And this is exactly the type of thinking (idea that it is bad that guys get on base if that can't run/baseclogger) that would make me very nervous to have Brenly running the team I like.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The truth is in the middle abou this talent. He isn't the greatest player of all time, but even with his flaws he was one of the best offensive 3B in baseball this past season. The idea that the Cubs are getting better without Ramirez at this point is silly. And this is exactly the type of thinking (idea that it is bad that guys get on base if that can't run/baseclogger) that would make me very nervous to have Brenly running the team I like.

But look at the draft pick standings now :crazydance:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Cubs offense was already horrible this season :lol:

People don't know what they had until they're gone...it's a way of life.

So lets make the offense even worse rather then trying to improve it. Letting go of 25 HR 90+ RBI is not a good way to make offense better. You add hitters around him. like FIELDER

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think you have to look at the total stats for a team, and replace the runs he scored. :isee: where I'm going with this?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you have to look at the total stats for a team, and replace the runs he scored. :isee: where I'm going with this?

That's just stupid. By your logic, only the runs he scores matter. What about the runs he creates? They don't matter now?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's just stupid. By your logic, only the runs he scores matter. What about the runs he creates? They don't matter now?
Obviously you have to replace the runs he creates in the order somewhere. Density :shot:

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If A-Ram lands with a playoff contender..

This is what he'll be at the plate for people watching.

tv-062.gif

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
2003 :tiptoe:

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who needs A-Ram when Kevin Kouzmanoff just became available??????

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Damn, his last name is as long as mine.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously you have to replace the runs he creates in the order somewhere. Density :shot:

But you fail to understand is that the Cubs can not just give up that production. We already have 2B that is below average offensively and LF, CF, RF, and C were about average to below average. The Cubs have to have Ramirez's bat back to have any chance.
If A-Ram lands with a playoff contender..

This is what he'll be at the plate for people watching.

tv-062.gif

You have trouble understand the difference between a good player and a bad player don't you? Damn Ramirez and his NL leading .373 wOBA! Damn him!