Bryan Bickell Thread

Do you think the Blackhawks keep Bickell?

• Total voters

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think that is entirely right - Secord scored 44 goals the year before Larmer even came up -plus Secord was a fighter as well.

I see Bickell as more of a guy like Tim Kerr (not saying he is going to be scoring 50 goals or anything - just a big guy that doesn't drop the gloves...). I think that you should probably now see Bickell as a regular on the left side with Kane and Toews -as he adds something that those other two don't have -and has the wheels to keep up with those guys.

Now as to what that means for the rest of the team -you got Sharp and Hossa on a second lone -and if they do get a 2nd line center; Handzus is ok -but I see him as more of a transitional guy who can fill in on a variety of lines (if they resign him). I think this is going to be an interesting season - mainly due to the restructuring of the conferences/divisions. . .

Does he not drop the gloves or do teams avoid agitating Bickell? If anything, that will only continue as he seems to beat down the best fighters in NHL....I love this guy.

You can see me throughout this thread saying lets wait until playoffs.

Clearly Bickell hits more in the playoffs and it seems to get him going, he started that about 6 weeks ago and after the fight turned things around. Became the enforcer, or rather, had already made the effort to be that guy. Probably ate a bit much or something in the off-season and played himself into shape. Big guy with big guy problems.

As long as he is a playoff warrior I don't care if he sits out the regular season considering the players we have stuck in rockford that could develop.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
and about playing himself into shape, I'll chime in as a high metabolism big guy. Its disgusting kinda, but I have to eat 4400 calories to maintain my weight, its so much food that the quality of it, or the diversity can really vary from week to week, its hard to eat that much and make it healthy food. Healthy food requires extra food, and extra chewing. Its so easy to just eat a whole pizza, or two fast food value meals if you fall behind at all and are craving calories. Its a big job to keep your weight in place particularly when your activity goes down in the off-season.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I'm way too lazy to go back in this thread and look it up but in case it wasn't mentioned before ... Bickell was coming off of knee surgery in the offseason. It may have taken him this long just to get back to (or at least close to) full strength

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I'm way too lazy to go back in this thread and look it up but in case it wasn't mentioned before ... Bickell was coming off of knee surgery in the offseason. It may have taken him this long just to get back to (or at least close to) full strength

I don't believe Bickell ever had surgery on his injured knee. If I remember correctly, he had surgery on one of his wrists but avoided knee surgery. Obviously sustaining another knee injury early on this season didn't help things.

In the salary cap era, it is nice to have a player like Bickell who is making a nice chunk of cash, contribute in the regular season - which he failed to do for the amount of money he is making. He is turning it on now which is great, just have to hope it isn't a case of "too little too late".

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I don't believe Bickell ever had surgery on his injured knee. If I remember correctly, he had surgery on one of his wrists but avoided knee surgery. Obviously sustaining another knee injury early on this season didn't help things.

In the salary cap era, it is nice to have a player like Bickell who is making a nice chunk of cash, contribute in the regular season - which he failed to do for the amount of money he is making. He is turning it on now which is great, just have to hope it isn't a case of "too little too late".

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...20140105_1_bryan-bickell-braces-knee-injuries

Good call.
The Blackhawks winger is adjusting to life as a player who must wear the braces while recovering from knee injuries. The latest, to his left knee, occurred Nov. 19 against the Avalanche and resulted in Bickell missing 14 games. Since returning Dec. 17, he has one goal, an assist and is a minus-3 in eight games and hasn't matched the level of the dominating player of the Hawks' run to the 2013 Stanley Cup.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it MCL's?

I hated the MCL brace, severely limited my movement and ability to actively protect myself. Also made my knee hurt more, when I took it off I felt great, wonder if he still uses them or if that is the answer.