Building through the Draft

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I'm just not going to argue the point with you.

The bulk of arguably the best NFL team of all time was drafted in 5 years...6 years if you want to add The Fridge in '85.

You could absolutely do that today and keep that team together because most of them would still be on rookie contracts

I'm just not going to argue the point with you.

The bulk of arguably the best NFL team of all time was drafted in 5 years...6 years if you want to add The Fridge in '85.

You could absolutely do that today and keep that team together because most of them would still be on rookie contracts.
Dent was drafted in round 8. In 1985 there were 12 rounds to the draft. Technology has greatly enhanced scouting and you can't expect to get as many quality players later as in the past.
Obviously there are tons of exceptions bc we are talking about people but the draft process has changed considerably.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Why would you talk

Lucked out sounds like Fields fell to 20. I agree Pace was fortunate that Fields fell but he played the draft perfectly given the situation. If he traded up any higher than where he did it would have cost a lot more, and any later we likely miss out. He deserves his credit for that.
I agree.

For whatever people think of Pace's past GM decisions, people cannot complain about his 2021 draft. I believe that Pace took a big step away from the hot seat with his draft. Maybe, he has just shown that he can get it right as a GM? I don't know about that, but he has shown that he deserves at least some time to show if it was real or a blip in time.

Now it is Nagy's turn to show some of that offensive genius or burn out in 2021.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree.

For whatever people think of Pace's past GM decisions, people cannot complain about his 2021 draft. I believe that Pace took a big step away from the hot seat with his draft. Maybe, he has just shown that he can get it right as a GM? I don't know about that, but he has shown that he deserves at least some time to show if it was real or a blip in time.

Now it is Nagy's turn to show some of that offensive genius or burn out in 2021.
The same people are going to criticize the 2021 draft because of the traded picks. Pace had 7 selections, just pushed his value later to recoup what he gave up. I like the value he found, but we'll still be without a 1st & 4th next year, only 5 pick currently.

Time will tell if those late picks (Borom, Herbert, and Graham particularly) turn into anything, but Fields and Jenkins were outstanding value, quality production versus top competition. Potentially landing a franchise QB and LT in any draft is a windfall.

I'm still on the fence about Pace moving up aggressively so often. It's obviously built into his DNA as a GM, but I hope this year shows how he's learning to mitigate risk. His evaluations need to depend less on projection (Trubisky) and more on production that shows up on tape (Fields).

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree except you are leaving out Roquan who might be the most talented player in the team this year. Robinson and Mack are obviously in that conversation.
That has yet to be determined. He is talented but I'd like to see him put it all together for a couple years running

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The same people are going to criticize the 2021 draft because of the traded picks. Pace had 7 selections, just pushed his value later to recoup what he gave up. I like the value he found, but we'll still be without a 1st & 4th next year, only 5 pick currently.

Time will tell if those late picks (Borom, Herbert, and Graham particularly) turn into anything, but Fields and Jenkins were outstanding value, quality production versus top competition. Potentially landing a franchise QB and LT in any draft is a windfall.

I'm still on the fence about Pace moving up aggressively so often. It's obviously built into his DNA as a GM, but I hope this year shows how he's learning to mitigate risk. His evaluations need to depend less on projection (Trubisky) and more on production that shows up on tape (Fields).
Even Borom had production ... and then he lost between 20 and 30 pounds