Can the Hawks win the Cup?

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
but history has proven they HAVE NOT! jesus fucking christ.

History hasn't proven that. Low seed teams have won before and have made it to the Cup Finals. If you make it that far, clearly you CAN win.

Also, like I said...looking at history is useless here because you should be focusing on the Post-Cap era. In 2006 the Oilers/Ducks (seeds 8 and 6) faced off in the Western Conference Finals, the Oilers won and then went on to lose in the Finals. In 2007 the #4 seeded Senators lost to the Ducks in the finals. In 2008 the #6 Flyers and #5 Stars both lost in the Conference finals. In 2009 their were really no low teams except for a #6 team making it to the Conference Finals. In 2010 the Flyers and Habs (seeds 8/7) faced off in the conference finals and then the Flyers lost to the Blackhawks in the finals. In 2011 the Lightning made it to the Conference finals.

Your reply will be "and none of them won" but that doesn't matter and isn't the point. The point is that if you make the playoffs you can win the Stanley Cup. Just about every team in the playoffs is relevant and has a chance. End of story.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
History hasn't proven that. Low seed teams have won before and have made it to the Cup Finals. If you make it that far, clearly you CAN win.

Also, like I said...looking at history is useless here because you should be focusing on the Post-Cap era. In 2006 the Oilers/Ducks (seeds 8 and 6) faced off in the Western Conference Finals, the Oilers won and then went on to lose in the Finals. In 2007 the #4 seeded Senators lost to the Ducks in the finals. In 2008 the #6 Flyers and #5 Stars both lost in the Conference finals. In 2009 their were really no low teams except for a #6 team making it to the Conference Finals. In 2010 the Flyers and Habs (seeds 8/7) faced off in the conference finals and then the Flyers lost to the Blackhawks in the finals. In 2011 the Lightning made it to the Conference finals.

Your reply will be "and none of them won" but that doesn't matter and isn't the point. The point is that if you make the playoffs you can win the Stanley Cup. Just about every team in the playoffs is relevant and has a chance. End of story.

bold 1- exactly, making noise. your paragraph means nothing. yay! a team went to the CFN finals, yay! a team went to the stanley cup finals and lost. so what you are stating is making noise, but does not prove that if you make it you can win, not in hockey or basketball....period, end of story. this isnt baseball, maybe you are confused on the two sports. :dunno:

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Looking at the "history" here does you no good.

Look at the post-lockout era. There are a lot of lower seeds that have made some noise.

Post-Lockout era = a smaller gap between 1st and 8th seeded teams. Parity is the name of the game in the cap era.

Or even the post expansion frenzy of the 90's even. A lower seed in some eras (as I am sure some know -but not so sure about others), meant a lot lower than in others -- case in point:

the 21 team era where 16 teams made the playoffs. 76% (actually a little more to get technical).

Now you have 14 teams missing the cut -in other words the teams missing the cut now are a higher grade than previously - meaning that those that make it are the same.

---Don't think it is right using baseball as a comparison as -well, how many teams are in the AL and NL? And through this season 4 teams make the playoffs - not just apple and oranges ... no wait ... apples and ... well plastic blobs really.... not even remotely the same thing - and proportionally not even close - so no not everyone can win in baseball - in fact more teams miss the playoffs and have sero chance -not sure why that example was used - it clearly doesn't come close to applying.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
bold 1- exactly, making noise. your paragraph means nothing. yay! a team went to the CFN finals, yay! a team went to the stanley cup finals and lost. so what you are stating is making noise, but does not prove that if you make it you can win, not in hockey or basketball....period, end of story. this isnt baseball, maybe you are confused on the two sports. :dunno:

You can win no matter what seed you are in hockey. 8/1 upsets happen all the time. HW's point is that you CAN win by being a lower seed. All you have to do is take that extra step past what other teams have done. It is possible.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can win no matter what seed you are in hockey. 8/1 upsets happen all the time. HW's point is that you CAN win by being a lower seed. All you have to do is take that extra step past what other teams have done. It is possible.

im not arguing that at all, sure the 8th can beat a 1. im talking about the difference between upsets ( making noise ) and actually winning the cup.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
im not arguing that at all, sure the 8th can beat a 1. im talking about the difference between upsets ( making noise ) and actually winning the cup.

i dont wanna speak for others, but i think the point boom is trying to make is that IF it's possible for upsets to happen (which you have agreed with) then its easy to say that anybody can win the cup

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i dont wanna speak for others, but i think the point boom is trying to make is that IF it's possible for upsets to happen (which you have agreed with) then its easy to say that anybody can win the cup

in theory yes, but history has shown otherwise.

basketball and hockey are the two sports where usually the most talented team goes to the finals and or wins the championship, unlike baseball the best team a lot of the times does not win the championship.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
But I've always been a good poster. Maybe you're just a bad critic. And just weird.
:bro:
You're a
hammer-meatball.gif

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I mean, just look at the playoffs in the western conference last year. If the Blackhawks beat the Canucks, they have a good chance of going to the finals and I think we could've done just as good if not better than the Canucks did. That's saying something, because the Blackhawks weren't that good last year and were number one seeds.

When you have a player like Toews, anything is possible. My favorite Toews goal is this one because it just shows how his character really affects the game. He'll do ANYTHING to win.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYM-4aqJnm8]Jonathan Toews ties game late in 3rd 4/26/11 - YouTube[/ame]

B18

Fresh Legs
Liked Posts:
They got a shot, its early though.

ZDemp34

That One Guy
Liked Posts:
The Hawks are legit this year. They have a definite chance.