1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Another example, the 1906 White Sox. Pitching and Defense do win games. Team A has average offense which is all they need given the dominance in starting pitching and defense. The only thing you have with AJ is his leadership over Soto. And talk about overvaluing. Suddenly Byrd is an All Star. He's not in the same league as Soto with the bat. In limited time, Sale was dominant as a closer. I'd still take Marmol, but probably not another reliever over Team A

Never remind us of the 1906 World Series ever again, I beg you.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Another example, the 1906 White Sox. Pitching and Defense do win games. Team A has average offense which is all they need given the dominance in starting pitching and defense. The only thing you have with AJ is his leadership over Soto. And talk about overvaluing. Suddenly Byrd is an All Star. He's not in the same league as Soto with the bat. In limited time, Sale was dominant as a closer. I'd still take Marmol, but probably not another reliever over Team A

Byrd was an All-Star last season, he made a bid for all-Star Game MVP with his play in the 9th, a diving catch earlier, and extending the inning for McCann's bases loaded hit that scored all 3 runs for the NL.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Playoff Voting: #8 Phoenix Coyotes vs #1 Chicago Blackhwks

#8 Phoenix Coyotes
vs.
#1 Chicago Blackhawks

Vote on who you thinks wins the best of 7 series. The Chicago Blackhawks have home ice advantge.
Make sure you view each teams clubhouses listed above, GM's please post why you feel your team should win. Voters make sure to give an explantion of why you are voting for the tam you are voting for, if there is no explanation your vote wont count. Good Luck to all

Last edited by a moderator:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Defense
LF Pierre=Soriano (Pierre gets to more balls, Soriano throws the ball in)
CF Rios>Byrd (Rios has been slightly above average, Byrd slightly below)
RF Colvin=Perez (Pretty much a wash)
1b Pena>>>Konerko (Pena has won the GG)
2b Becham>Blake (Blake is below average)
SS Ramirez>>>Castro (Castro was the clubhouse leader in bad fielding last year)
3b Morel=Ramirez (And really at this point it’s probably Morel is better Defensively, but he hasn’t been a major leaguer, so I call this a tie)
C Soto=Castro (It’s only close because of the short series)
Team A 3-2-4 (super close)

Offense by position
1b Konerko>>>Pena (No confidence Pena turns it around)
2b Beckham >> Blake (No Explanation needed)
SS Ramirez >>> Castro (Silver slugger winner last season in Ramirez)
3b Ramirez>>>Morel (Even with Ramirez slumping massively last season)
LF Soriano>>Pierre (Soriano’s power gives the edge over Pierre’s speed)
CF Rios>>>Byrd (Rios only 5 tool player on either roster)
RF Perez=Colvin (Really a toss up)
C Soto>>> Castro (Castro is just too inexperienced to know what he would bring)
DH Dunn>>Quentin (Never know when Carlos will get hurt)

Team A 5-3-1

Starting Pitching
Garza>Buerhle
Dempster>Peavy (He may never pitch again)
Zambrano>>>Gorzelanny
Danks>>>Wells

Relief Pitching
Slight Edge to Team B with Marmol, Sale, Marshall, though this is close.

Clearly Team A wins

Byrd below average defensively, umad, lol.

Perez is no where near Colvin either.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Playoff Voting: #5 Anaheim Ducks vs #4 Columbus Blue Jackets

#5 Anaheim Ducks
vs
#4 Columbus Blue Jackets

Vote on who you thinks wins the best of 7 series. The Columbus Blue Jackts have home ice advantge.
Make sure you view each teams clubhouses listed above, GM's please post why you feel your team should win. Voters make sure to give an explantion of why you are voting for the tam you are voting for, if there is no explanation your vote wont count. Good Luck to all

Last edited:

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Playoff Voting: #6 Dallas Stars vs. #3 Los Angeles Kings

#6 Dallas Stars
vs.
#3 Los Angeles Kings

Vote on who you thinks wins the best of 7 series. The Los Angeles Kings have home ice advantge.

Last edited:

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Playoff Voting: #7 Colorado Avalanche vs #2 Minnesota Wild

#7 Colorado Avalanche
vs
#2 Minnesota Wild

Vote on who you thinks wins the best of 7 series. The Minnesota Wild have home ice advantge.

Last edited:

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Los Angeles Kings's head coach Randy Carlyle has shuffled his defensive corpse for this match-up (expecting a huge playoff performance from Gorges as we all saw last year shutting down both OV and Crosby). The pairings are now:

Lidstrom - Gorges
Kronwall - E.Johnson
Corvo - Michael Sauer

Ovechkin, now a teammate of Gorges, when asked about the move, stated:

I'm thrilled to not have to play against Josh the boss Gorges.

Last edited:

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gonna go with the hawks 4-2 in the series. The first line on both teams are pretty equal the dominance of the second line for the blackhawks i think will get it done i give the blackhawks a slight edge in goaltending too. Every other line or pairing i thought was somewhat equal.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Minnesota Write-up:
The Wild are a very skilled offensive minded forward group, with many of them solid in their own defensive end. The top 2 lines have 2 very strong playmakers centering their lines, along side wingers who can score and use their size as an advantge.
The defensive core I was told that was weak, but each one of those defenders are top 4 defenders on their teams. Most are defensive minded D-men who shut down top guys every night. The Wild also have a very solid goaltender in nt who has 30+ wins in each of is NHL seasons. The Wild have the depth and skill to overtake Crosby and his line which will be shut down by Ladd, Malhotra, and Callahan.

IvyPickin87

Donator
Liked Posts:
I like both teams and think the series would go 4-2, I have to give the advantage to the wild i think the xp gets them though the series and on to the next round. Col is very talented but also very young could be a team for the future.

IvyPickin87

Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a very tough decison, i say the series goes 4-3 and i have to go with the stars in a very entertaining series. The first lines going at each other would be epic. I just like the overall depth on dallas and i think the Defense for the stars wins them the series very very close.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dallas Stars Write-up:
First off the 1st lins are very talented, however I have 2 of the 3 with Rin, and the other has Stanley Cup Final Appearence. The Kings have 2 big no shows in playoffs, and proved they cannot step up and lead their team. I have the more depth as their offense takes a big drop after that 1st line.
My D is very physical and would shut down their forwards.

IvyPickin87

Donator
Liked Posts:
Ducks write up: I believe my team has a good mix of young talent and experinced Vets. I think my first two lines will overwelm the top two lines of the jackets. And my 3rd and 4th lines will get the job done and control the pace of the game, along with my shutdown goalie i think the ducks have to take the series. While im a bit young on defense all the young guys can play and H4 knows what it takes come playoff time. While the blue jackets defense is pretty solid they are also old and having to cover the talented forwards for 60 mins will eventually wear the older d out. His goalie has no playoff xp either.

Last edited:

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dallas Stars Write-up:
First off the 1st lins are very talented, however I have 2 of the 3 with Rin, and the other has Stanley Cup Final Appearence. The Kings have 2 big no shows in playoffs, and proved they cannot step up and lead their team. I have the more depth as their offense takes a big drop after that 1st line.
My D is very physical and would shut down their forwards.

Specifics please, since you're calling players out.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ovechkin and Thornton. Sure they put up points, but when it comes to their leadership in the playoffs it not quite there. Ovi wasshut down in Montreal and wasn't allowed to step up in those key situations. San Jose Finally got past a round with a much ore deeper squad with Thornton having to rely on Marleau, Heatly, Pavelski

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Defense
LF Pierre=Soriano (Pierre gets to more balls, Soriano throws the ball in)
CF Rios>Byrd (Rios has been slightly above average, Byrd slightly below)
RF Colvin=Perez (Pretty much a wash)
1b Pena>>>Konerko (Pena has won the GG)
2b Becham>Blake (Blake is below average)
SS Ramirez>>>Castro (Castro was the clubhouse leader in bad fielding last year)
3b Morel=Ramirez (And really at this point it’s probably Morel is better Defensively, but he hasn’t been a major leaguer, so I call this a tie)
C Soto=Castro (It’s only close because of the short series)
Team A 3-2-4 (super close)

Offense by position
1b Konerko>>>Pena (No confidence Pena turns it around)
2b Beckham >> Blake (No Explanation needed)
SS Ramirez >>> Castro (Silver slugger winner last season in Ramirez)
3b Ramirez>>>Morel (Even with Ramirez slumping massively last season)
LF Soriano>>Pierre (Soriano’s power gives the edge over Pierre’s speed)
CF Rios>>>Byrd (Rios only 5 tool player on either roster)
RF Perez=Colvin (Really a toss up)
C Soto>>> Castro (Castro is just too inexperienced to know what he would bring)
DH Dunn>>Quentin (Never know when Carlos will get hurt)

Team A 5-3-1

Starting Pitching
Garza>Buerhle
Dempster>Peavy (He may never pitch again)
Zambrano>>>Gorzelanny
Danks>>>Wells

Relief Pitching
Slight Edge to Team B with Marmol, Sale, Marshall, though this is close.

Clearly Team A wins

you are quite a homer arent you? lol

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ovechkin and Thornton. Sure they put up points, but when it comes to their leadership in the playoffs it not quite there. Ovi wasshut down in Montreal and wasn't allowed to step up in those key situations. San Jose Finally got past a round with a much ore deeper squad with Thornton having to rely on Marleau, Heatly, Pavelski

Ovechkin - in 28 playoff games played, he has 40 points. In the post season, players are expected to have a drop off in production. OV has actually over-performed in the playoffs (1.29 ppg in regular season including this year vs 1.42 ppg in playoffs). Now that's a much better sample size than a single series against Montreal. Is that a choker? Now, if you want to look at that one series, who was it who shut OV down? Oh yeah, it's that guy Josh Gorges, who is a Los Angeles King. Thanks for making my argument for moving Gorges to the top defense pairing with Lidstrom, already an epic regular season and playoff defenseman who will shut down any line in front of them.

Thornton - Is he really a playoff choker? That the perception..but could the perception be wrong? I mean, as a Shark, that team was expected for deep playoff runs. When a team doesn't reach those (possibly false) expectations, someone has to be a scapegoat...might as well be the captain, right? How often do President Trophy winning teams win the Cup since the lockout, 1. Thornton is a .71 ppg player in the playoff, which is down from his regular season production. In the playoffs, however, a drop off in production is generally expected.

As for your ring argument (which you brought up, by the way), here's the count:

Malkin 1, Hossa 1, Seabrook 1, Orpik 1, = 4 different players, 4 rings

Homstrom 4, Brouwer 1, Cooke 1, Madden 3, Lidstrom 4, Kronwall 1 = 6 different players, 14 rings.

Any "loss" in leadership in you might perceive in Oveckin and Thornton is more than made up by the leadership and hockey IQ by other players our team possesses.

Last edited:

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:

Last playoff, Heatley, Marleau, and Thornton had pretty much identical numbers. The playoff numbers Pavelski put up last playoff was due to opponents keying on SJ's top line of Heatley, Marleau, and Thornton.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ovechkin - in 28 playoff games played, he has 40 points. In the post season, players are expected to have a drop off in production. OV has actually over-performed in the playoffs (1.29 ppg in regular season including this year vs 1.42 ppg in playoffs). Now that's a much better sample size than a single series against Montreal. Is that a choker? Now, if you want to look at that one series, who was it who shut OV down? Oh yeah, it's that guy Josh Gorges, who is a Los Angeles King. Thanks for making my argument for moving Gorges to the top defense pairing with Lidstrom, already an epic regular season and playoff defenseman who will shut down any line in front of them.

Thornton - Is he really a playoff choker? That the perception..but could the perception be wrong? I mean, as a Shark, that team was expected for deep playoff runs. When a team doesn't reach those (possibly false) expectations, someone has to be a scapegoat...might as well be the captain, right? How often do President Trophy winning teams win the Cup since the lockout, 1. Thornton is a .71 ppg player in the playoff, which is down from his regular season production. In the playoffs, however, a drop off in production is generally expected.

As for your ring argument (which you brought up, by the way), here's the count:

Malkin 1, Hossa 1, Seabrook 1, Orpik 1, = 4 different players, 4 rings

Homstrom 4, Brouwer 1, Cooke 1, Madden 3, Lidstrom 4, Kronwall 1 = 6 different players, 14 rings.

Any "loss" in leadership in you might perceive in Oveckin and Thornton is more than made up by the leadership and hockey IQ by other players our team possesses.

Like I said yeah they put up points., thats what they are supose to do. Holmstrom, an Madden are aging players and are losing steps in their skating, and game. Lidstrom however is still strong, but him and Gorges cant play every other shift and shut down each one of these lines.

You have 1 solid line after that its a steep loss, and my lines are have more dept than yours, as my guys can put up 25+ points. Your D-men are alot smaller compared to my physical forward lines, and could spell trouble.
My Defense is also very physical and each pairing is capable of shutting down Ovie, and Thornton.

Last playoff, Heatley, Marleau, and Thornton had pretty much identical numbers. The playoff numbers Pavelski put up last playoff was due to opponents keying on SJ's top line of Heatley, Marleau, and Thornton.
Exactly. Thornton needed the help of 2 top line wingers. He only has 1 in Ovie. Suter, Seabrook, Yandle, Orpik all can shut down that ovie line and lt myoffesedo the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.