CCS Weather Thread (STORMS?)

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Probably the strongest storm to hit the US in recorded history,the son of a bitch still resembled a hurricane as it tore the east coast to shreds last night........FOUR days after making landfall. It fed off of gulf waters that were 86 degrees at a depth of 100 feet!.....

Climate Change Fueled Hurricane Ida With Warm, Deep Seawater

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Utilities is my game and storm recovery is an occasional need- but I dont operate in new orleans. The call has already come out for some of the stuff east of that.

I dont think I am going this time around. Michael was the last one I was on, and it was a killer. I am thinking others should take advantage of the opportunity this go 'round...lmao
Had a good friend that worked for a power company. He would volunteer for the bad stuff for about 15 years and said never again.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Had a good friend that worked for a power company. He would volunteer for the bad stuff for about 15 years and said never again.

Good adventure/income in your 20s, maybe 30s, but I'm sure it gets old real quick.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good adventure/income in your 20s, maybe 30s, but I'm sure it gets old real quick.

It does. Michael was my last for quite some time. Profitable but exhausting.

There is one regret with not going. I tried to make a difference in ways that matter to me.
I always haul the fiber trailer down.
Inside said trailer, I carry the absolute maximum amount of dog and cat food I can fit.

I am active at a rescue society near me, another volunteer has the hookup with Purina, and they are unbelievable at giving to a good cause.

I disperse as needed to shelters and animal control in impacted areas, and it makes me feel good.

Good thing is, I do have a proxy that will continue it for me.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

This sucks- if workers cannot fuel, power won't be back any time soon.

It might come down to pulling in tanker trucks for the people trying to restore things.

Unfortunately, it is a common obstacle in recovery efforts.
When shortages start, people horde and it gets exponentially worse.

The good part is, fema provides recovery vehicles with line skipping passes.
The bad part is that doesn't help if all the gas is gone.

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

This sucks- if workers cannot fuel, power won't be back any time soon.

It might come down to pulling in tanker trucks for the people trying to restore things.

Unfortunately, it is a common obstacle in recovery efforts.
When shortages start, people horde and it gets exponentially worse.

The good part is, fema provides recovery vehicles with line skipping passes.
The bad part is that doesn't help if all the gas is gone.
In my experience if it looks like it's gonna be bad, the hoarding starts with gas a few days before anything actually hits. Also RIP the water and bread aisles at Publix.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I love that the trains are like "f it we keep going"

You should see a Metra train blast thru snow 2 feet deep and then disgorge a passenger load into said snow.

Happened one Winter back a few years.

Snow storm hit hard in the early afternoon, so everyone crammed that 2:40PM train home early, including myself.

I wanted to get home early enough to snow blow this long driveway at my Mom's house before it became too much for the dinky snowblower she had.

First and only time I've stood at the bottom step of a Metra train and had a snow drift up to the door.

And those fucking trains are so heavy, the snow is no problem, but when they hit drifts, or they are the first thru after prolonged snowfall, they just punt snow into the air like crazy.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You should see a Metra train blast thru snow 2 feet deep and then disgorge a passenger load into said snow.

Happened one Winter back a few years.

Snow storm hit hard in the early afternoon, so everyone crammed that 2:40PM train home early, including myself.

I wanted to get home early enough to snow blow this long driveway at my Mom's house before it became too much for the dinky snowblower she had.

First and only time I've stood at the bottom step of a Metra train and had a snow drift up to the door.

And those fucking trains are so heavy, the snow is no problem, but when they hit drifts, or they are the first thru after prolonged snowfall, they just punt snow into the air like crazy.

I had the pleasure of seeing that last year, and I really wish I had it on video.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I had the pleasure of seeing that last year, and I really wish I had it on video.

Its kinda tremendous to see such a violent collision that has almost no chance to really harm anyone lol.

I always imagine the Engineer at the front talkin to the train like

"OOOOH DOGGY WE GOTS US A MOUNTAIN O' SNOW IN FRONT OF US, GORGEOUS."

pets train

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We alive and rebuilding. Can’t hold us down. We the south. Can’t kill bad grass ya northern fuckos

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nice little wind and hail storm just blew through. 83 before, 67 now.
Look out mchenry and lake county.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
The radars gone from purple to white.. don't think I've ever seen white before.

Next will be plaid

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I had some fun sitting through the remnants of Ida in Maryland for roughly 40 hours the other week. Was a good excuse for day drinking (what else is there to do?).

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What is rain?

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Weather channel said dry for the next 6 hrs. That was at 10 and raining hard since 10:30. So happy we believed them and went to the store. LOL

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Weather channel said dry for the next 6 hrs. That was at 10 and raining hard since 10:30. So happy we believed them and went to the store. LOL
Hey, we got some rain today... and Friday. Thanks for sharing.