Chances of a watch-party at the UC?

esbrechtel

Liked Posts:
[quote name="IceHogsFan"]I do not buy it for a moment.

If the Blackhawks wanted to make it happen I am sure it would be done.

Cue Mr. Marketing Genius McD.[/quote]

I don't know, if $ could be made off of it the grinch would do something...I really do think they have some shitty restrictions from the NHL/VS/Comcast

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
[quote name="esbrechtel"]

I don't know, if $ could be made off of it the grinch would do something...I really do think they have some shitty restrictions from the NHL/VS/Comcast[/quote]

Yep, I would imagine that comcast/versus will charge them an enormous fee that McD just won't pay.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="MassHavoc"]

Yep, I would imagine that comcast/versus will charge them an enormous fee that McD just won't pay.[/quote]

So you are disagreeing while agreeing with me? I stated if they really wanted to they

could make it happen. I still believe this. So what if they lost a small amount of revenue or

even break even. Would be a great thank you for the fans who have brought them to this point.

Maiden

Liked Posts:
I do not believe the network charges for an event like this.

Last year the Penguins showed their home games on a jumbotron............

...........OUTSIDE THE IGLOO. Place was mobbed with people who just wanted to be their for the event. There has to be more to it that McDick isnt having watch events at UC.

Ruhtra

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Maiden"]I do not believe the network charges for an event like this.

Last year the Penguins showed their home games on a jumbotron............

...........OUTSIDE THE IGLOO. Place was mobbed with people who just wanted to be their for the event. There has to be more to it that McDick isnt having watch events at UC.[/quote]

Somehow I remember one of the networks making a big stink about Pittsburgh doing that. I don't remember if it was Versus or NBC, but I remember the being an article. I didn't find that article, but after a quick Google search, I did find this:

"Games 3 and 4 of the Stanley Cup Final will be shown on the outdoor screen in front of Mellon Arena. Those are the two games broadcast nationally by Versus – Game 3 on Tuesday, June 2 and Game 4 on Thursday, June 4.

All other games of the Final will not be shown on the outdoor screen, consistent with NHL national broadcasting policy. Also, in accordance with the policy, road games will not be shown on the Mellon Arena jumbotron."

So it appears we're shit out of luck.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
I wonder why. It's not like pay-per-view, and some company will be out of money.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK... Let's say they are having "official" watch party (ies); isn't it safe to say that the establishments have paid out the ass to be blessed in such a manner.

If this is true, not even McPimp is stupid enough to compete with them.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Numerous emails should be sent to the Blackhawks organization asking how Tampa Bay of all places is having a venue to watch the game yet our OWN TEAM is not doing so! Assuming the format for email is the same for McD as others his email will be jmcdonough@chicagoblackhawks.com

Here is the email that I am sending;

Mr. McDonough,

Could you please explain to me why the Chicago Blackhawks organization is not doing anything for its fans for Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals? I assumed there was same

league regulation prohibiting it until I read the following story on the Tampa Bay Lightning website;

The Tampa Bay Lightning will host a watch party for Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals between the Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers (8 p.m.) for hockey fans in the XO VIP Club at the St. Pete Times Forum on Wednesday night from 6:30 p.m. until the conclusion of the game. The Lightning’s weekly radio show, Lightning Hockey Night, will also broadcast live from the party with hosts Matt Sammon and Chris Dingman.

The home team has had the advantage so far in the series with Chicago taking the first two games at the United Center and the Flyers fighting back with two wins of their own at the Wachovia Center. The Blackhawks returned home last night with a 7-4 victory to move one win within the Stanley Cup.

Fans attending the viewing party will be treated to free hot dogs, nachos, meatballs, popcorn, dry snacks and soda. There will also be $2 beers and $3 well drinks. The Lightning Fan Experience Truck will be on hand on the west plaza while a mobile hockey rink and inflatable games will be set up on the floor of the St. Pete Times Forum. Fans in attendance will also be eligible for special giveaways and contests.

Free parking will be available in the Forum West Lot.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531192

noon

Liked Posts:
Email sent.

It should be a marketing embarassment that the Tampa Bay Lightning are hosting a viewing party in their arena for this historic moment in Blackhawks history while the Blackhawks themselves are not. Seems like old times.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
[quote name="noon"]Email sent.

It should be a marketing embarassment that the Tampa Bay Lightning are hosting a viewing party in their arena for this historic moment in Blackhawks history while the Blackhawks themselves are not. Seems like old times.[/quote]

Wow.... This is a downright ridiculous situation here. Why the hell is Tampa Bay of all places doing one and not us? We get stuck with Joe's Bar? Nothing against them and all, but that kind of bar will not hold over 20,000 fans.

FlaHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="noon"]Email sent.

It should be a marketing embarassment that the Tampa Bay Lightning are hosting a viewing party in their arena for this historic moment in Blackhawks history while the Blackhawks themselves are not. Seems like old times.[/quote]

I dunno. I'm sort of willing to give the Hawks a pass on this one. I'm sure the thinking is that crowd control after the game could be a pain if the Hawks win, and that could be costly to the City. Hell, they had mounted police outside of the UC after Game 5 (Lord only knows why) so I'm sure they're contemplating that it would have to be even stronger if a bunch of folks showed up at the UC and the Hawks win. Why do that if you don't have to (as they would absolutely have to with a Game 7)?

I would love it if they would open up the UC but I can understand why they wouldn't want to do it under the circumstances.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
[quote name="FlaHawkFan"]

I dunno. I'm sort of willing to give the Hawks a pass on this one. I'm sure the thinking is that crowd control after the game could be a pain if the Hawks win, and that could be costly to the City. Hell, they had mounted police outside of the UC after Game 5 (Lord only knows why) so I'm sure they're contemplating that it would have to be even stronger if a bunch of folks showed up at the UC and the Hawks win. Why do that if you don't have to (as they would absolutely have to with a Game 7)?

I would love it if they would open up the UC but I can understand why they wouldn't want to do it under the circumstances.[/quote]

At least its in one spot and not sporadic at a bunch of other bars. One spot means its easier to tame the fans.

More bars hosting means more police usage. Cause trust me, people will not be home that night. I know I sure as hell won't be.

Bhawks35

Liked Posts:
Also, I would think that given the amount of negative press the Flyers fans are getting, that the organization would rather have hawks fans in our building rather than in their building. I am going to Philly, but I would re-think it to see them win surrounded by 10,000 hawks fans rather than get pelted by beer by flyers fans.

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I would love it if they would open up the UC but I can understand why they wouldn't want to do it under the circumstances.[/quote]

You're a more understanding woman than I am FHF, lol lol. I probably wouldn't ever be able to give them a pass on this seeing as we are talking about an O6 team that hasn't had a cup in 49 years and a city that MAD ADORES them BUT I can admit that I could be a smidgen more understanding in my indignation if there wasn't already a history of watch parties being held at the UC for Bulls games during the glory reign or say when the White Sox had one there for the WS. Thusly the situation with the Hawks is making me pissy---I mean, not even just outdoor screens? Something? Throw some bitches a bone for crissakes! Tampafreakin' Bay?

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="bookjones"] Throw some bitches a bone for crissakes! [/quote]

I wouldn't call you a beeyotch, but I've got a bone you can have.

FlaHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="bookjones"]

You're a more understanding woman than I am FHF, lol lol. I probably wouldn't ever be able to give them a pass on this seeing as we are talking about an O6 team that hasn't had a cup in 49 years and a city that MAD ADORES them BUT I can admit that I could be a smidgen more understanding in my indignation if there wasn't already a history of watch parties being held at the UC for Bulls games during the glory reign or say when the White Sox had one there for the WS. Thusly the situation with the Hawks is making me pissy---I mean, not even just outdoor screens? Something? Throw some bitches a bone for crissakes! Tampafreakin' Bay?[/quote]

LOL. Yeah, I'm generally pretty empathetic. Up to a point.

As for Tampa Bay . . . They're doing everything they can right now to generate fan interest in their team so why not offer fans a bunch of free hot dogs and such? I'd like to do an over/under of how many free hot dogs they'll be giving out. I doubt it'll be many, Stevie Y and a new coach notwithstanding. No crowd control problems there!

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

As for Tampa Bay . . . They're doing everything they can right now to generate fan interest in their team so why not offer fans a bunch of free hot dogs and such? I'd like to do an over/under of how many free hot dogs they'll be giving out. I doubt it'll be many, Stevie Y and a new coach notwithstanding. No crowd control problems there![/quote]

Still, there best promotion was "free beer for the playoffs if you put down the deposit for season tix" of a few years back.... I believe it was the year they won the Cup!

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="klemmer"]

I wouldn't call you a beeyotch, but I've got a bone you can have.[/quote]

Yeah, I just bet you do you nasty little freak. :p

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

As for Tampa Bay . . . They're doing everything they can right now to generate fan interest in their team so why not offer fans a bunch of free hot dogs and such? I'd like to do an over/under of how many free hot dogs they'll be giving out. I doubt it'll be many, Stevie Y and a new coach notwithstanding. No crowd control problems there![/quote]

There could be massive crowds if they promised the ladies that Stevie himself was gonna be there bringing his SMOKIN' HOT good looks and mojo for general ogling and objectification purposes! If I lived there, I'd show up for some of THAT! :lol:

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you ready for this???!!!!! Response to my email sent earlier regarding Tampa Bay having their event for the Cup and we are not.

Chris,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We weren’t aware of this and have notified the NHL about this illegal event. The NHL’s broadcast agreement prohibits these types of viewing parties during the last two rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Tampa Bay is in violation of this and the event will be shut down. Thanks again for your loyalty to the Blackhawks!

Best,

Dave Knickerbocker

Sr. Executive Director of Marketing & Business Development

Chicago Blackhawks