1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I really dont want Wright really overrated player IMO
David Wright Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Sabre people correct me if I'm wrong. I believe Wright is a solid player and gets on base at a good clip.

He's had above average production from a position where the quality of play is declining.

Granted he's been bitten by the injury bug. I believe the Cubs should take a good look at him.

He's not a player I would overpay for at this point, I'd still like to have him.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
David Wright Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Sabre people correct me if I'm wrong. I believe Wright is a solid player and gets on base at a good clip.

He's had above average production from a position where the quality of play is declining.

Granted he's been bitten by the injury bug. I believe the Cubs should take a good look at him.

He's not a player I would overpay for at this point, I'd still like to have him.

Yes. :clap:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There really is no "can't miss" prospect in the Cubs system at 3B as well, and that'd be another reason why I'd go after Wright.

They should be contending again next year and signing Wright would help that.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
There really is no "can't miss" prospect in the Cubs system at 3B as well, and that'd be another reason why I'd go after Wright.

They should be contending again next year and signing Wright would help that.

Depends on how the prospects develop. If they have enough cheap young guys that are performing well they make a major run. If not they can at least go after whichever of the top pitchers aren't extended next offseason.

I think Wright probably gets an extension from the Mets, and if he leaves, the Cubs might cough up draft picks to get him. That's one obstacle that will prevent the Cubs from going nuts in free agency, even if they can still keep their protected first rounders. Doesn't mean they won't throw money around, though.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only guys that really interest me might not hit the open market in Greinke and Hamels. I would gladly take either to develop a real 1-2 punch at the top of the roto. I am actually warming up to Vitters watching him play in AAA. Far from a lock, but he actually looks like he might be able to field the position which is a huge step forward.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In the end, I'm going to trust Theo in whatever he does.

Can't say I believed the same for Hendry.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I'd hold off on Wright next year and try to go after Chase Headley the following free agency period.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
We should see we have in vitters first.

I know he's a 3B now, but does he project to play defense well enough to play the position in the majors? I've read in some places that he could move out to Left at some point.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
And by 2014 we should know what Vitters is, and if the Cubs should make a play for Headley or not.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know he's a 3B now, but does he project to play defense well enough to play the position in the majors? I've read in some places that he could move out to Left at some point.

I think if he wants to be playing every day, he either has to improve one of his defense (3B) or hitting for power (LF) or else he's just a bench guy.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And by 2014 we should know what Vitters is, and if the Cubs should make a play for Headley or not.

I agree. I thought it was next for Headley so my bad on that one.

With 3b the way it is I think even if vitters can play Aramis level defense we should be alright. Or he should at least be able to hold the fort down until Baez is ideally ready. Which is probably 2015-16.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vitters defense has been pretty good so far this year. You can look at his fielding percentage and error total to get an idea of how brutal he has been in his career. I don't know if this change is just a couple good weeks or if he really is getting better, but Vitters looks like he could play better than Mark Reynolds right now and might be able to provide average defense at the hot corner.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
i wouldnt mind Napoli & Edwin Jackson.

Guys that will be 30 that year aren't exactly the best targets. They certainly would be improvements over what we have now, but we need to build a core of guys under 30 that gives us a window for success.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guys that will be 30 that year aren't exactly the best targets. They certainly would be improvements over what we have now, but we need to build a core of guys under 30 that gives us a window for success.

that's true...

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
interesting take and nice summary. seems like most of those guys are the opposite of the epstein ways.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
My assessment of the situation suggests that the Cubs can't be easily fixed through free agency. The players just aren't available.