Checking in on potential free agents that the Cubs might be interested in

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/13434/rotation-key-in-2013-for-positive-cubs

Samardzija and (a hopefully healthy) Matt Garza will headline the rotation next season. I assume Travis Wood will have one of the remaining spots. That leaves two to fill, so I hope they at least look at a few of the free agents on the list.
And yet TWood was not one of the nine guys Sveum said that has a roster spot locked up next season. He probably will get a spot when it is all said and done, but the Cubs might be able to upgrade enough of the rotation to make him unneccessary.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
And yet TWood was not one of the nine guys Sveum said that has a roster spot locked up next season. He probably will get a spot when it is all said and done, but the Cubs might be able to upgrade enough of the rotation to make him unneccessary.

It might be an oversight on his part or it might actually mean something, who knows. But he's shown enough positive to at least make him the #5 starter (over Volstad at least) and he's not even arb eligible until 2014. Unless they plan on turning him into a trade chip, I think he's in the rotation. But that might depend on how he pitches for the rest of this season.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Get Grienke, Edwin Jackson, Garza, and Samardzija under contract for the next 5 years.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Get Grienke, Edwin Jackson, Garza, and Samardzija under contract for the next 5 years.

I actually think Edwin Jackson should be a shorter contract as he's solid but not elite. Greinke might need at least five with an option for six. Samardzija is going to be arb eligible soon so his extension may come in the next year or two assuming he can repeat this year's success. Garza...who knows with him, shut down for the season and I guess they're letting the elbow rest before they try a rehab.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just at least get some starting pitching!!

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Cubs Ace Next Season: Jake Peavy?

Peavy's pitched well for the south side this season. He has an 11-11 record and a 3.26 ERA. MLBTR says the Sox are likely to buy him out after this season (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/09/white-sox-expected-to-decline-peavys-option.html) which would make him a FA.

My Question, do the Cubs consider him? How much would you/they be willing to go on him? Peavy/Shark/Garza sounds better than Shark/Garza/Scrubs, but we're not likely to contend next season, so if we were to go the FA route, it'd make more sense to sign the pitcher to a 4-year deal instead of a 2-year deal.

Problem is, Peavy's gonna have interest, imo. I think both the Yankees and Redsox will be after him, significantly upping his price. I'd think the White Sox would be in on him too, despite exercising their option.

Here's a list of other 2013 FAs: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/2013-mlb-free-agents.html

What say you, CCS? Would you like to see him on the North Side?

Personally, I believe it's a pipe-dream, but for the right price would love to see him on the North Side. I was down on him @ the beginning of the season, but he's pitched really well for the Sox this season. I just don't think we can get him for the "right price".

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's gonna be expensive. It would be a long shot at best. I actually don't think it'd be worth it.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Jake is either going to get over paid somewhere, or returns to the Sox on a reasonable deal.

I'm guessing the former.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We hear this every year. I understand more than anybody the importance of remaining optimistic, but do any Sox fans actually expect Peavy to win 10 games? Let alone be anywhere close to worth the contract?

The dude is seriously Brandon Webb w/ more innings on that arm. I'm hopeful for you guys (and moreso his career) that I'm wrong about him and he pitches great for an entire season -- I just don't see it.

goes from above to below. :rolleyes:

Peavy's pitched well for the south side this season. He has an 11-11 record and a 3.26 ERA. MLBTR says the Sox are likely to buy him out after this season (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/09/white-sox-expected-to-decline-peavys-option.html) which would make him a FA.

My Question, do the Cubs consider him? How much would you/they be willing to go on him? Peavy/Shark/Garza sounds better than Shark/Garza/Scrubs, but we're not likely to contend next season, so if we were to go the FA route, it'd make more sense to sign the pitcher to a 4-year deal instead of a 2-year deal.

Problem is, Peavy's gonna have interest, imo. I think both the Yankees and Redsox will be after him, significantly upping his price. I'd think the White Sox would be in on him too, despite exercising their option.

Here's a list of other 2013 FAs: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/2013-mlb-free-agents.html

What say you, CCS? Would you like to see him on the North Side?

Personally, I believe it's a pipe-dream, but for the right price would love to see him on the North Side. I was down on him @ the beginning of the season, but he's pitched really well for the Sox this season. I just don't think we can get him for the "right price".

ChicagoDawg1991

He'll retire on the South Side or probably San Diego again :troll:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would also like to know how this makes any sense for the cubs. they wont be contending until after his 3 year projected deal would be over. it makes zero sense. and a side note*** people need to stop using Ws and Ls with pitchers.

Sent from my Brett05s Josh Fields rookie card using Tapatalk

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If we did sign him, we'd likely be trading him a few months later barring a NTC he won't waive

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Greinke/Peavy/Jackson/Garza/Shark

start winning with pitching immediately

But seriously...realistically...honestly...the Cubs won't sign anyone worth a shit

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Greinke/Peavy/Jackson/Garza/Shark

start winning with pitching immediately

But seriously...realistically...honestly...the Cubs won't sign anyone worth a shit

I merged X's thread with the free agent speculation thread because I feel like there's no reason to blow money on Peavy unless the Cubs decide they want to win now as opposed to later. They would need to sign Greinke, Edwin Jackson, and possibly Peavy. Greinke makes sense because he's still young-ish and he won't cost a draft pick. The others, not so sure. It sort of makes sense for the Sox to decline Peavy's option and then give him the qualifying offer as a paycut.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That said, if Edwin Jackson doesn't get the qualifying offer, he's a perfect candidate for a Paul Maholm contract (probably gets more in base salary though since he should be a better pitcher).