Checking in on potential free agents that the Cubs might be interested in

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saw LAA going to decline options on Haren and Santana. I could see Santana a guy Cubs could try. He younger with some good history.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
He'll be overpaid like every player is now adays.

But I would totally be down for a Santrana signing.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hoyer comments:

The Cubs do have a significant amount of money coming off the books and it could be a busy offseason.

“We will have financial flexibility,” Hoyer said. “We’ve been diligent to make sure we do have flexibility and we’re efficient going forward. We’ll obviously be active in the free agent market. That’s a big part of our research and work now is evaluating free agents. We have some money to spend and we’ll focus on it heavily.”

Nothing concrete, probably just the usual smoke and mirrors stuff until they actually do something.

BearsMod1

Liked Posts:
don't think they would get anyone big.

it doesn't make sense, they are re-building and which will take 3-4 yrs, so why give a big contract for like a 6 yr deal?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
don't think they would get anyone big.

it doesn't make sense, they are re-building and which will take 3-4 yrs, so why give a big contract for like a 6 yr deal?

Revenue. The off-chance that this team can win enough 1-run games to matter. That sort of thing. But for the most part I agree with you.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hoyer comments:

Nothing concrete, probably just the usual smoke and mirrors stuff until they actually do something.

I agree. Seems to be nothing more than blowing smoke up the fans' rears.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs should go after my guy David Wright. 3B is a huge hole that Wright could fill for the next 5-6 years. I know I'm dreaming. :D

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Wright leaving the Mets is the pipedream.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I kinda think they sign an SP to move him mid-season.

The only pitchers that intrigue me on any level are Greinke and McCarthy (who is amazing on twitter).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
McCarthy makes some sense as he might be a buy low candidate with his health issues this season. That would be the type of arm I expect them to go after this offseason. Marcum would be another injury buy low candidate. The other side would be guys like Liriano and Carlos Villanueva who have interesting peripherals and upside but haven't put it together.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
McCarthy makes some sense as he might be a buy low candidate with his health issues this season. That would be the type of arm I expect them to go after this offseason. Marcum would be another injury buy low candidate. The other side would be guys like Liriano and Carlos Villanueva who have interesting peripherals and upside but haven't put it together.

Even without trying to break the bank on Greinke, if enough of these guys pan out the Cubs might actually not suck next year :shifty:

Does the CBA have a restriction on how many free agents can be signed? The old one had a limit of two or three Type A/B guys...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doubt there is a limit since they don't have ratings of free agents.