Checking in on potential free agents that the Cubs might be interested in

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no way the Mets can let Wright hit the market. While it was very unlikely that the Cubs would make a competitive offer, I think those odds are still higher than the Mets letting him walk.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no way the Mets can let Wright hit the market. While it was very unlikely that the Cubs would make a competitive offer, I think those odds are still higher than the Mets letting him walk.

I think the Mets can technically decline his option and then give him the qualifying offer to at least get the draft pick back but that's stupid considering how much David Wright is worth in a trade.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Mets can technically decline his option and then give him the qualifying offer to at least get the draft pick back but that's stupid considering how much David Wright is worth in a trade.
They aren't letting him walk this year. They would pick up the option and trade him like you said if they can't lock him up long term. But I will have to see it to believe it that Wright is leaving NY.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
They aren't letting him walk this year. They would pick up the option and trade him like you said if they can't lock him up long term. But I will have to see it to believe it that Wright is leaving NY.

It sounds like they'd rather just extend him rather than be forced to just pick up the option. If they did have the intention of trading him though they would do so before the season started to allow the new team to take advantage of compensation. Either way I don't see the Cubs getting a chance.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It sounds like they'd rather just extend him rather than be forced to just pick up the option. If they did have the intention of trading him though they would do so before the season started to allow the new team to take advantage of compensation. Either way I don't see the Cubs getting a chance.
Yeah I am sure long term extension is their first option, but there is no way they are just extending a qualifying offer and letting him hit the open market.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
This would be right around that theoretical 2015 window of opportunity:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/no-new-talks-for-felix-mariners.html

Felix Hernandez would potentially be a free agent in 2015. He may be traded before then and there's a possibility the club he's traded to (or the M's themselves) could try to extend him. But by that point the Cubs may not actually need that extra draft pick. Plus Felix would only be 29 to start that season. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he stays with the M's next year and is not traded. The Cubs do see them as contenders in 2014, I could see Theo/Jed trying to trade for him. Because he will not hit the FA market, he'll be traded at some point and he will sign an extension with the team he traded too .He could always re-up with the M', but I'm not sure if he will... I think it would be wise for both sides to part ways. Felix can try to earn a ring and the M's can stock up their farm system. Felix, his loneself is not ging to help then win anything. Besides that one off-season, the M's won't go out and try to win. They're going to try and win within now.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This would be right around that theoretical 2015 window of opportunity:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/no-new-talks-for-felix-mariners.html

Felix Hernandez would potentially be a free agent in 2015. He may be traded before then and there's a possibility the club he's traded to (or the M's themselves) could try to extend him. But by that point the Cubs may not actually need that extra draft pick. Plus Felix would only be 29 to start that season. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

giggity-giggity.jpg

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will be very interested to see what the final payroll will look like next year. Would love to pluck one of the spare OFs the D'Backs have this offseason, you guys know the one I really want. Hopefully this was the low tide mark, and while I doubt that they will be truly competitive next season I am hoping for progress.

Kleats

Liked Posts:
Pitching pitching pitching - and stay as young as possible with it ( and with any position players they decide to go after ) . There's plenty of outfielders coming up . 3B and an upgrade at C would be nice .

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
As young as possible with pitching pretty much entails Greinke and McCarthy and that's about it. Everyone else is pushing 30 or over.

The Cubs will have to pony up if they want young pitching that isn't acquired via draft, and trying to get it through trade would cause the farm to take a hit in my estimation. Options are limited.

3B and C also limited too according to the free agent list.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs will not go after catching... they seem contempt with Clevenger and Castillo right now. I'm actually fine with that too.

The Cubs do love Headley, he's only 28 so that's not too bad. I bet the Cubs will be linked to him in the off-season, but I'll be surprise if the Cubs acquire him. Due to the steep price that he'll likely comand.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs will not go after catching... they seem contempt with Clevenger and Castillo right now. I'm actually fine with that too.

The Cubs do love Headley, he's only 28 so that's not too bad. I bet the Cubs will be linked to him in the off-season, but I'll be surprise if the Cubs acquire him. Due to the steep price that he'll likely comand.

Yes, I have contempt for both catchers we have too :D :cubstroll:

As for Headley, I believe he has two years of arbitration left so unless you want to trade the farm for him too...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
McCarthy is the only one of the under 30 somethings that the Cubs might get. I think the word to sum the Cubs offseason strategy is going to be value. If enough teams are scared off by the injury history that the Cubs can make a reasonable offer to land McCarthy then he will be a Cub. Otherwise I think the swing guys that want a chance to start, BleacherNation has been pushing Carlos Villanueva as an option, would seem to be the best chance at bringing in starters for value. In that scenario guys in their early 30s that are willing to take one or two year deals would certainly be an option (think DeJesus type).

Headley isn't an option because Padres are rightfully going to ask the moon for one of the few 3B that is both a plus defender and bat. Add on the fact that you have two more years of cost control, and the price would include at least one of the big three prospects to just get the conversation started.

Castillo is going to be the starting catcher. There might be a battle for the backup catcher spot between Clevenger, Recker and maybe some other veteran they bring on a minor league deal, but I don't see any major dollars being committed to this spot.

OF and 3B are the offensive spots that the Cubs will try to bring some help. They will need an OF especially if they manage to find the right deal for Sori. It isn't going to be Hamilton, and it probably isn't going to be the second level guys like Upton. 3B is going to be tough, and bringing Stewart back I don't think is out of the question. Though there have been whispers that the FO hasn't been happy with his effort rehabbing and his dedication to the sport, e.g. his somewhat infamous late night twitter activity. Youkilis I could see being an option if a market doesn't develop for him, but it would seem like the White Sox would be a better fit if he wanted to stay in CHicago.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Padres may also try to sign Headley to an extension. I saw a report that they might. The Padres just sign 2 players to an extension, so that move would not surprise me one bit.

ChicagoDawg1991

I heard something about the Cubs probably making a trade to the Tigers for 23 year old starter Rick Porcello..............that wouldn't be a bad pick up since we are in rebuilt mode, hes young and that scouts are saying that Porcello has #1 and or #2 stuff on the mound. Change of scenery wouldn't hurt him either

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts: