Chelios and Roenick

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have to chuckle as to what is certain to be said by starting this thread.........

Like others here I grew up in the era of Chelios and Roenick and although I did not follow the team as closely

as I do know, when I think of past Blackhawks players they are two that definitely come to mind.

I have never faulted Chris for leaving the Hawks to further his career and his three rings confirm that. His weak

link in that story is him stating at a young age of how he would never be a part of the Wings and yet that is where

his career ended. Hockey is still is still a career for some and we all know that at that point in his career the

Hawks were not a team destined for long term success.

My feelings for Jeremy were solidified when I saw his heartfelt comments after the Hawks won it all. It spoke

volumes to me and showed where his heart has been firmly rooted for most of his life. I had an opportunity

to say that to him two weeks ago at the UC. He seemed very appreciative that others took it for it was.

With all this being said I am still not excited about the Chelios Heritage night tonight. It is too soon after

his retirement from the Wings and his still current involvement with them. I would have much more enjoyed

a night like tonight several years into the future.

R K

I have to chuckle as to what is certain to be said by starting this thread.........

Like others here I grew up in the era of Chelios and Roenick and although I did not follow the team as closely

as I do know, when I think of Blackhawks players they are two that definitely come to mind.

I have never faulted Chris for leaving the Hawks to further his career and his three rings confirm that. His weak

link in that story is him stating at a young age of how he would never be a part of the Wings and yet that is where

his career ended. Hockey is still is still a career for some and we all know that at that point in his career the

Hawks were not a team destined for long term success.

My feelings for Jeremy were solidified when I saw his heartfelt comments after the Hawks won it all. It spoke

volumes to me and showed where his heart has been firmly rooted for most of his life. I had an opportunity

to say that to him two weeks ago at the UC. He seemed very appreciative that others took it for it was.

With all this being said I am still not excited about the Chelios Heritage night tonight. It is too soon after

his retirement from the Wings and his still current involvement with them. I would have much more enjoyed

a night like tonight several years into the future.

Two Rings? First was with the Habs in his rookie year.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Two Rings? First was with the Habs in his rookie year.

Yes, yes... if you are spitting hairs. I just meant three outside of the Hawks.

<

Your comment to my question opening the thread?

R K

Just pointing out the fact he already won one before he left.

I don't have venom, just don't think he should be honored by the Hawks. Especially not while still working for the Wings.

Tactless, tasteless and all the Asshole in charge.

And I'm commentless. I was too busy reading the major asskissing on the front page of BH.com. Wow has that guy doing that changed.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
NO FUCKING WAY!!!!!!!!!

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get why the The Annointed One would want Chris honored.

I mean serioiusly, he was not a Chicago Cub...............

E Runs

Liked Posts:
JR and Cheli both bled and sweat, and played with a passion unrivaled for this club.

For that reason alone I will always consider them part of the Blackhawks' family.

EspoForever

Liked Posts:

as I do know, when I think of past Blackhawks players they are two that definitely come to mind.

I have never faulted Chris for leaving ...

Heheh...I just aired my feelings on this on another thread:

http://www.indianheadnation.com/boa...angestupid-question/page__p__50307#entry50307

R K

JR and Cheli both bled and sweat, and played with a passion unrivaled for this club.

For that reason alone I will always consider them part of the Blackhawks' family.

Sorry I'll add other factors in. Things they both could have avoided and CHOSE not too.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Will your feelings for Buff, Ladd, Niemi, etc be treated in the same way even though they were integral to us

winning the Cup and depending on what they may or may not do in the future?

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Will your feelings for Buff, Ladd, Niemi, etc be treated in the same way even though they were integral to us

Every individual situation is different.

No one yaps like JR. All names combined can't hold a candle.

Other than that, it's a business, and we're all the suckers for being involved in the WWF soap opera.

I think you have a better case selling hate mail on Wiz than any of the cup winners that left due to cap issues.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I'm sure most will feel differently about the subject but this is my take:

Roenick, forever in my mind is considered a Blackhawk first. Same as Belfour, Larmer, etc.. etc..

Chelios on the other hand... hes a Wang. I'm sure if you asked him, not even he would consider himself part of the "Blackhawks" family. Ask JR that question, bet he says he wishes his career ended here. There's a difference IMO, when I think of Chelios, I don't really picture him with a Hawks jersey anymore. Obviously I was also pretty young when he played, but even for JR I picture him in a Hawks uni. Nothing else.

Ladd, Buff, Niemi, and the bunch will always be remembered as Blackhawks because they accomplished something JR and Chelios never could. I have no hard feelings towards any of them.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think what Roy did to the Habs can be worse than what Cheli "did" to the Hawks.

Kerfuffle

Liked Posts:
I think what Roy did to the Habs can be worse than what Cheli "did" to the Hawks.

What did Roy do to the Habs that was so bad? I don't recall him having a contract falling out with them that made for his departure but it's been a long time so refresh the memory please.

Ton

Liked Posts:
What did Roy do to the Habs that was so bad? I don't recall him having a contract falling out with them that made for his departure but it's been a long time so refresh the memory please.

Roy demanded a trade, flipped out on management after playing like complete shit so they gave him exactly what he asked for.

Nothing to do with a contract, he simply didn't want to be in Montreal.

supraman

Liked Posts:

I love Ladd. One of my vendors is in NC and is a Canes fan, when the trade happened I called him immediately to inquire about Ladd. Now he isn't into hockey as deep as I am but he said just some 3rd-4th line guy so initially I wasn't a fan and he wasn't noticable. Then I started noticing him more and more and I loved his work ethic. I am a fan of hardworking hockey players. I sorta fell in love with Ladd during the cup season. I wanted to cry when he was traded. I am still and always be a huge fan of Ladd and I might one day get his jersey

Buff - The first thing I liked about buff was that howitzer from the point. His slap shot back there is just fucking sexy. I was screaming like a mad man when he got his hat trick against LA two seasons ago. I hated that he didnt hit enough but when he did hit that season...jesus christ, he never hit anyone he just skated into them and massacred them. I wanted him to fight so much more and it was awesome when he beat down Tkackuk (I respect the guy, great player but buff beat his ass). Then the playoffs came along and just realized he's a big mother fucker and started wrecking everyone. Then last year the O face in vancouver.....EPIC. He loved the hate he received in vancouver he fed off of it. So yeah I still love Buff

JR - The crying after the cup confirmed what my brother had told me for years, JR bleeds blackhawk red. So yeah he's a hawk.

Cheli - I love the guy, he was a hawk when I learned about hockey from my brother who was a big hawks fan in the 90s and just gave up after the team just fell apart and kept being a cellar dweller. He was tired of the front office. Hell when I told him the hawks were coming back he didn't believe me for two seasons and then he seen them and started believing again. But yeah in my heart Cheli is a hawk but in reality Cheli is a wing. I know but I just don't accept it.

Ya know what as much as I absolutely bitched about Sopel the cup year he was a fucking rockstar and I kinda miss him. And I do not deny I said to trade him so many times but man when he became a PK god for us I liked him a whole lot.

ericthered

Liked Posts:
Interesting thread.

Are Eddie O, Bob Probert, Scotty Bowman part of the Blackhawk family? How about the Sutter family? Bob Murray?

I don't doubt if the Hawks had a place for Chelios a few years back he gladly would've come back here.

I think there's a sufficient argument to be made for/against a lot of former players.

If the fans can welcome Bobby Hull back after his mea culpa about leaving, and JR seemed to get more cheers than boos when he essentially left over money....I suppose Chelios is in a similar boat.

People sometimes forget about the business side/personality conflicts...etc that can affect player loyalty. Remember how Mike Smith basically ran Tony Amonte out of town, long before he was a UFA. How about Mike Keenan with Doug Wilson, or Denis Savard, and numerous others..I seem to recall Doug asking to be traded just to get away from Keenan; as did Trent Yawney and Wayne Presley.

How about the time Steve Larmer, after clashing with his once close friend and head coach Darryl Sutter couldn't bare playing for him anymore and taking the blame when things went bad. He asked to be traded too. It happens a lot in sports.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Interesting thread.

Are Eddie O, Bob Probert, Scotty Bowman part of the Blackhawk family? How about the Sutter family? Bob Murray?

I don't doubt if the Hawks had a place for Chelios a few years back he gladly would've come back here.

I think there's a sufficient argument to be made for/against a lot of former players.

If the fans can welcome Bobby Hull back after his mea culpa about leaving, and JR seemed to get more cheers than boos when he essentially left over money....I suppose Chelios is in a similar boat.

People sometimes forget about the business side/personality conflicts...etc that can affect player loyalty. Remember how Mike Smith basically ran Tony Amonte out of town, long before he was a UFA. How about Mike Keenan with Doug Wilson, or Denis Savard, and numerous others..I seem to recall Doug asking to be traded just to get away from Keenan; as did Trent Yawney and Wayne Presley.

How about the time Steve Larmer, after clashing with his once close friend and head coach Darryl Sutter couldn't bare playing for him anymore and taking the blame when things went bad. He asked to be traded too. It happens a lot in sports.

Eddie gets a pass because he's a Chicagoan. Probie is a hawk to me. Scotty....Scotty never coached here, he isn't a hawk, he came here to work with his kid. If his kid was working for <insert any team> he would have went there. Scotty is the greatest coach of all time but he isn't a hawk.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Alot of players leave teams for whatever personal reasons they have, and no one should feel bad if they like/cheer for Chelios, Roenick, etc.

IMO....Roenick and Belfour's leaving was WAY more selfish at the time (for anyone that knows the behind the scenes on those)would agree. Cheli pisses alot of people off (not that he cares), but was an exceptional Blackhawk when he wore the jersey. he bled whatever color uniform he was wearing at the time, and his teammates/fans always respected that.