Chicago Cubs 2023-24 OFFSEASON thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On other speculation. I could see DH as a platoon for Mervis and Canario. Getting Morel out of there and at 3B will open opportunity.

So this is what I expect going into the off season. This should free up enough overhead to make a legit offer to Cody.

Now on the pen. He did say that injury was the main factor of it's regression. The whole back end fell through the floor and Merryweather was the last man standing.

But going into next year the depth should be:

Alzolay CL
Merryweather SU
Leiter Jr SU

MR guys (ie can go 2 innings)

Assad
Little
Smyly

Guys fighting for a job in MR

Kilian
Wesneski
Thompson
Brown
Palencia
Rucker

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It might not be a bad idea. Hitters who lack knowledge of the strike zone tend to blow hot and cold. Baez is a good example of that. And Morel doesn't have the great glove to fall back on like Javy had. At the very least, I'd investigate as to what they could get for him. The only thing is that if he ever learns the strike zone, he could be a monster.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It might not be a bad idea. Hitters who lack knowledge of the strike zone tend to blow hot and cold. Baez is a good example of that. And Morel doesn't have the great glove to fall back on like Javy had. At the very least, I'd investigate as to what they could get for him. The only thing is that if he ever learns the strike zone, he could be a monster.

It should be a part of the off season evaluation. Jed has used the term athletic good hands and strong arm. He has thrown a 90+ MPH strike from CF in 2022 so the arm is real. So the tools are there. To me it sounds like foot work, reaction time and reading the ball off the bat. Which are trainable skills.

I think for him is sticking to his swing path and keeping off of pitches that he can not drive. As he advances then he can adjust a 2 strike approach for contact. Cody has mastered that part of hitting so it is a process.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'll be honest, I really don't want the cubs paying big for a 1B. There's just not enough value there for me unless it's something like Bellinger who obviously has other benefits defensively.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I feel like the Cubs are going to pivot away from Bellinger. It is hard to trust that he won't regress, and so I see them targeting someone more reliable than him in a trade. The likes of Jose Ramirez or Juan Soto come to mind.

Let PCA do his thing in CF and try to give him good matchup opportunities through out the year, to build his confidence at the plate.

I'd lean more towards Ramirez because at 30 he would cost a lot less in a trade, and wouldn't risk luxury tax issues in 2024 and beyond with a long term deal....

First base can then be solved with Pete Alonzo. ANd I like the addition of both because ALonzo and Ramirez balance each other out behind the plate as Ramirez rarely strikes out and Alonzo strikes out a lot, so it helps balance the lineup that way. And we get like 70 homers between the two players at minimum.

Get two studs on one year deals like that, don't cost the farm too much and allows us to pivot in either way for 2025. And what I mean by pivot is either resign them on deals or go with a prospect that might replace them (Shaw, Canario, Cassie, etc...)

Hoerner
Suzuki
Ramirez
Alonzo
Happ
Swanson
Morel
Gomes
PCA

Bench:
Madrigal
Tauchman
Canario
Mervis
Amaya

Last edited:

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I feel like the Cubs are going to pivot away from Bellinger. It is hard to trust that he won't regress, and so I see them targeting someone more reliable than him in a trade. The likes of Jose Ramirez or Juan Soto come to mind.

Let PCA do his thing in CF and try to give him good matchup opportunities through out the year, to build his confidence at the plate.

I'd lean more towards Ramirez because at 30 he would cost a lot less in a trade, and wouldn't risk luxury tax issues in 2024 and beyond with a long term deal....

First base can then be solved with Pete Alonzo. ANd I like the addition of both because ALonzo and Ramirez balance each other out behind the plate as Ramirez rarely strikes out and Alonzo strikes out a lot, so it helps balance the lineup that way. And we get like 70 homers between the two players at minimum.

Get two studs on one year deals like that, don't cost the farm too much and allows us to pivot in either way for 2025. And what I mean by pivot is either resign them on deals or go with a prospect that might replace them (Shaw, Canario, Cassie, etc...)

Hoerner
Suzuki
Ramirez
Alonzo
Happ
Swanson
Morel
Gomes
PCA

Bench:
Madrigal
Tauchman
Canario
Mervis
Amaya
Good post. BTW, I watch nearly zero baseball other than Cubs, but HOLY FUCK did anyone alive out there - credit to Bruce - see what the lesser Bruce did tonight (Harper)? Daaaaaaaaaaayyyyyuuuuuuuum he badass, fucking incredible (watch highlights of PHI-ATL game tonight).

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Baseball trade value sites are what they are but for the sake of argument they have Soto being worth 21.8 and Happ being worth 14.3 and it's not totally crazy to see that being a trade SD might be interested in because while Happ is a downgrade he's saving them money and is still a productive player that they could make a run with. So, trading say Happ and a couple of guys outside the cubs top 5 or so guys seems relatively fair given you are going to then have to break the bank to pay Soto.

And the thing is if you're going after Soto i think you have to trade Happ or Suzuki and i don't see Suzuki having the same value. PCA and Tauchman are clearly their CF plans. And Suzuki would be their plan in RF. Soto you probably wanna DH. And the cubs have so many young outfielders on the way who will be cheap.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Hoerner
Suzuki
Ramirez
Alonzo
Happ
Swanson
Morel
Gomes
PCA

Bench:
Madrigal
Tauchman
Canario
Mervis
Amaya

I think you have to go position by position in depth first

LF Happ
CF PCA
RF Suzuki

Depth:
Canario
Morel
Tauchman

3B Madrigal
SS Swanson
2B Hoerner
1B open

IF
Morel

Catcher Gomes and Amaya. Should be closer to 50:50 this year

So the main issue is 3B and 1B. Madrigal's highest value is as a UI as he covers 3 positions. That leaves a opening to a corner bat that can play 1B and 3B. Cubs still have Wisdom in that role and it might be a cheap alt vs overspending on a role player.

Other than that I've read some that Morel might end up traded. Mostly due to David liking the DH as a fluid spot for off days vs a permanent spot for a D lack luster Morel.

As of right now Morel's best D is at 2B. Anywhere else he pushes dislike value.

So that is why Jed might sell now to a team that has needs at 2B or a corner OF spot.

Now Morel could get better and become a legit 3B option but being realistic that is being hopeful vs a reasonable option.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Potential target. I would put him high on Jed's target list. Fills a need and is a 3B by trade.
HARD pass...hes not any good. might as well just keep wisdom if this is the best they can get

CSF77

Liked Posts:
HARD pass...hes not any good. might as well just keep wisdom if this is the best they can get

I agree that he would be filler. He is not that bad. Lacks huge power but is better than Madrigal.

Last year he was a injury replacement for Rendon. Not a solid year to find true value from.

But this is a question of will Jed make a splash or does he believe Shaw is a legit option at 3B.

From what has been said to date. Shaw's arm is on the soft side and could limit him to 2B. Which kills his future value in Chicago

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But Chapman has to be the top F/A target IMO

Internal they have crap.

Trade market is questionable at best. San Diego is looking to shed but the guys that you want are in no trade status

So it is a hard question going into 2024. At this point you have to look at other options like Candy as the market is dry at 3B and 2nd tier guys start looking sexy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But a thought to toss around

1. Trade for Alonzo
2. Resign Candy
3. Sign Chapman

Utilize the DH to keep all 3 rested and maxed out PA's

Trade Morel and Mad and other players not needed but have some trade value for future trade chips and bull pen depth

Let PCA bat #9 and adjust to the high fastball. He has a natural uppercut and pitchers have been going 4 up in the zone and busting him there

Alcantara should be doing 1/2 tenn and 1/2 Iowa next year. So a back up plan forCF is in place

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Urshela makes no sense. You may as well keep Madrigal at 3B if that's the way you want to go. Additionally cubs don't have much power. Bellinger was a big source of it and with him being a FA it leaves a lot of questions. If you're getting rid of Wisdom too that's 52 HRs from the team you're losing. For my money, if you're gonna get rid of Wisdom which i'm sort of ok doing, you plant Morel at 3B with him potentially moving around should need arise and Madrigal as a semi-regular guy with the two of them kinda filling in various spots depending on the day(2b/3b for madrigal and morel 3b/of)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I agree that he would be filler. He is not that bad. Lacks huge power but is better than Madrigal.

Last year he was a injury replacement for Rendon. Not a solid year to find true value from.

But this is a question of will Jed make a splash or does he believe Shaw is a legit option at 3B.

From what has been said to date. Shaw's arm is on the soft side and could limit him to 2B. Which kills his future value in Chicago
NO to “filler”!!!

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I could go into a very long and detailed post about what I'd hope the Cubs do from signings, trades, and contract options that if done would put the Cubs in CBT Hell for 2 years and have them on the cusp for for probably the 4 after that but also be the best they could do to make themselves WS contenders during that time provided players don't implode.

Reality is this, short of a repeat of what 2015 and 2016 were which was some good but not earth shattering signings and guys clicking at the exact right time, the Cubs probably won't be serious contenders without going over the CBT.

Short and sweet are: Trade for Soto, sign to deal so big people here heads might explode, re-sign Bellinger, offer more years than most would be comfortable with, structure both with player opt outs designed to entice player to opt out early after their respective Year 34 seasons, Bring in a TOR starter. Trade away Happ and Stroman (MN is a playoff contender who could use them and will have openings for them), and then some other smaller deals.

Just get that and you have a CBT overage of about 15.5M with the numbers I have in mind. Want a closer? Add 20M. Want to shore up 3B better? Add another 12.5M.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I could go into a very long and detailed post about what I'd hope the Cubs do from signings, trades, and contract options that if done would put the Cubs in CBT Hell for 2 years and have them on the cusp for for probably the 4 after that but also be the best they could do to make themselves WS contenders during that time provided players don't implode.

Reality is this, short of a repeat of what 2015 and 2016 were which was some good but not earth shattering signings and guys clicking at the exact right time, the Cubs probably won't be serious contenders without going over the CBT.

Short and sweet are: Trade for Soto, sign to deal so big people here heads might explode, re-sign Bellinger, offer more years than most would be comfortable with, structure both with player opt outs designed to entice player to opt out early after their respective Year 34 seasons, Bring in a TOR starter. Trade away Happ and Stroman (MN is a playoff contender who could use them and will have openings for them), and then some other smaller deals.

Just get that and you have a CBT overage of about 15.5M with the numbers I have in mind. Want a closer? Add 20M. Want to shore up 3B better? Add another 12.5M.
I don’t hate the idea.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

That is a hole in one year. So rare it never happens.

Try getting on the green.

Signing Chapman, trading for Alonzo and resigning Candy would be a strong off-season.

Gives around 70+ HR and a solid rest program.

Cubs have a plus D SS at Iowa last year and had a gold glove upside. They would lose nothing D wise by resting Swanson or Horner.

So this would free up some trade chips to get Alonzo and deepen the pen.

All you really need right now

Let other teams deal with the final growing pains. Cubs are a major market. Act like it.

PCA I get. 80 rated D pays for itself.