Chicago Cubs 2023-24 OFFSEASON thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Interesting thing that I heard is LAD moved Busch off of 1B in the system after they signed Freeman. So he has been there before.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That article goes into how playing PCA and pushing up others on the top 100 can add early round bonus picks. This would be a smart play for Jed to add picks.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
#Coping

Also, glad people are finally coming around to what I’ve been saying all along…Bellinger isn’t worth the risk that comes with a big contract. A short 1-3 year deal, sure…anything more than that you run away
5 is as far as Jed should go with him. After that the risk of a good bench vet starts to increase.

Boras knows this. That is why he is holding out because going back in 5 he will not take in the same cash over the last 3 years.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
#Coping

Also, glad people are finally coming around to what I’ve been saying all along…Bellinger isn’t worth the risk that comes with a big contract. A short 1-3 year deal, sure…anything more than that you run away
Not at all coping. I have been against the Belly signing day one, as I was more pushing to get Ohtani but not really expecting it. The Cubs aren't in a spot yet to got for a WS run, you can't really buy that in one year. Texas won this year with player development and several years of key FA signings. I like a mix of how Atlanta is signing their good contracts and going for big FA's when it is worth it, like TExas did. And we are developing young pitching like crazy for once, so it allows us to just sign plug in guys there.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Not at all coping. I have been against the Belly signing day one, as I was more pushing to get Ohtani but not really expecting it. The Cubs aren't in a spot yet to got for a WS run, you can't really buy that in one year. Texas won this year with player development and several years of key FA signings. I like a mix of how Atlanta is signing their good contracts and going for big FA's when it is worth it, like TExas did. And we are developing young pitching like crazy for once, so it allows us to just sign plug in guys there.
Lol if you were against it from the start then why the post saying, “the more I think about it…”?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The Score interviewed Busch on Sunday and he reiterated that he has been told he will play first base, but he could play other spots if called onto.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Score interviewed Busch on Sunday and he reiterated that he has been told he will play first base, but he could play other spots if called onto.

3B should be a open competition unless they sign Carpenter.

If they stay in house the guy that I'm rooting for is

At min you are getting a GG level glove and a strong arm. Plus 15-20 HR power.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I know it wouldn't be a popular idea, but I'd like to see the Cubs go big enough to lock up as favorites for the Central in 24 and still be flexible in spots for the top prospects to come up in a year or two.

Offer Bellinger 12Y264M. I can feel you eyes rolling already. Set the pay outs at 28/26/24/24/24/24/24/18/18/18/18/18. That's a 22M CBT hit per season. Give Bellinger player opt outs after years 1, 4 , and 7. The Cubs would have team buy outs for 10M after years 2, 5 , and 8. The Cubs would only be locked into 2Y64M with the buy out. Then it's simply a 3 year option for 72M followed by another 3 year option for 64M. And finally a 4 year option for 72M. No danger of a Heyward albatross ever.

Then offer Chapman 3Y65M set at 25/20/20 with a player opt out after year 1 and a team buy out for 5M after year 2. Then call Miami and see if Morel, Wicks, Alcantara, and Rojas can get them to part with Luzardo. Add in Mervis if needed.

That would put the Cubs at about the 251M mark going into the season for payroll but it gives them arguably the best defensive team in baseball and a strong enough pitching staff to compete without shipping off all of the farm or blocking any long term.

Line up of
Hoerner 2B
Happ LF
Bellinger 1B
Suzuki RF
Busch DH
Swanson SS
Chapman 3B
Gomes C
Tauchman/PCA CF

Rotation of
Steele
Luzardo
Hendricks
Imanaga
Taillion

Whomever the 3B of the future is doesn't have to press to get to the majors nor is he held back should he prove it immediately. There are enough rotation spots coming open in the next years for guys to get in, even if the mean DFAing Taillion.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I know it wouldn't be a popular idea, but I'd like to see the Cubs go big enough to lock up as favorites for the Central in 24 and still be flexible in spots for the top prospects to come up in a year or two.

Offer Bellinger 12Y264M. I can feel you eyes rolling already. Set the pay outs at 28/26/24/24/24/24/24/18/18/18/18/18. That's a 22M CBT hit per season. Give Bellinger player opt outs after years 1, 4 , and 7. The Cubs would have team buy outs for 10M after years 2, 5 , and 8. The Cubs would only be locked into 2Y64M with the buy out. Then it's simply a 3 year option for 72M followed by another 3 year option for 64M. And finally a 4 year option for 72M. No danger of a Heyward albatross ever.

Then offer Chapman 3Y65M set at 25/20/20 with a player opt out after year 1 and a team buy out for 5M after year 2. Then call Miami and see if Morel, Wicks, Alcantara, and Rojas can get them to part with Luzardo. Add in Mervis if needed.

That would put the Cubs at about the 251M mark going into the season for payroll but it gives them arguably the best defensive team in baseball and a strong enough pitching staff to compete without shipping off all of the farm or blocking any long term.

Line up of
Hoerner 2B
Happ LF
Bellinger 1B
Suzuki RF
Busch DH
Swanson SS
Chapman 3B
Gomes C
Tauchman/PCA CF

Rotation of
Steele
Luzardo
Hendricks
Imanaga
Taillion

Whomever the 3B of the future is doesn't have to press to get to the majors nor is he held back should he prove it immediately. There are enough rotation spots coming open in the next years for guys to get in, even if the mean DFAing Taillion.

Taillon had a solid 2nd half that was inline with his career line. He said he was into the analytics early and scrapped it and went feel for the game. His next start was vs the Yankees.

Post all star he had a 3.70 ERA Steele 3.62. Hendricks 4.20.

So I feel that he will have a rebound year and we will see what Jed paid for

Hendricks I expect regression. He will be a back of the rotation arm.

I would pass on Luzardo. I have seen the talk but it feels out of place. I can see depth arms for injury.

I see the 5 being Wicks and they will limit his innings but they have Horton and Ben Brown near

3B is a bigger issue right now.

Shaw not enough time in the majors and will need more live action at 3B.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Taillon had a solid 2nd half that was inline with his career line. He said he was into the analytics early and scrapped it and went feel for the game. His next start was vs the Yankees.

Post all star he had a 3.70 ERA Steele 3.62. Hendricks 4.20.

So I feel that he will have a rebound year and we will see what Jed paid for

Hendricks I expect regression. He will be a back of the rotation arm.

I would pass on Luzardo. I have seen the talk but it feels out of place. I can see depth arms for injury.

I see the 5 being Wicks and they will limit his innings but they have Horton and Ben Brown near

3B is a bigger issue right now.

Shaw not enough time in the majors and will need more live action at 3B.

My main thing with the trade is Morel and Mervis become very redundant on the 24 team if Bellinger and Chapman are signed. While trading Wisdom makes Morel more valuable as the RH power bench bat, I was looking for a trade that would bring back more value to the Cubs. With the potential signings of Bellinger and Chapman, the Bench is essentially Busch, Amaya, Wisdom or Morel, Madrigal or Mastro, and Canario unless PCA is up or they trade Tacuhmann. 3 or 4 of those guys would need to be elsewhere.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Is he talking about Matt Carpenter? Good Lord, he's gotta be pushing 40....either that or it's his typical jibberish post featuring the spelling of a 6 year old.....or maybe he thinks Chapman and Carpenter are the same guy.
Matt Carpenter ?

He’s old. He sucks. And the best part….he signed with the Cardinals.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My main thing with the trade is Morel and Mervis become very redundant on the 24 team if Bellinger and Chapman are signed. While trading Wisdom makes Morel more valuable as the RH power bench bat, I was looking for a trade that would bring back more value to the Cubs. With the potential signings of Bellinger and Chapman, the Bench is essentially Busch, Amaya, Wisdom or Morel, Madrigal or Mastro, and Canario unless PCA is up or they trade Tacuhmann. 3 or 4 of those guys would need to be elsewhere.

Until Jed signs any of Boras's guys I won't include them in this discussion.

Now talking about today and players coming into camp.

LF Happ has it on lock.

CF this should be on PCA to prove that he can deal with the high heat. If he can then he starts opening day. If not should be a platoon of Tauchman and Canario.

RF Suzuki should have this on lock and I have him as the team MVP this year. I see a full season of his last year run. We will miss Bellinger less due to him.

3B this will be Madgril. Injury is the main factor here. I see some stability factored in and it allows Luis Vazquez to be the UI. Now injury could change this abd it opens up possibly but I see Luis getting opportunity to get reps at all 3 spots and if his bat out plays Madgral or Mad goes down it is a easy switch. Out of the gate I would expect one less rookie to worry about in April to make the engine go

SS this is a lock and getting him off for a day at DH should be easier with Vazquez.

2B. Same with SS. Vazquez brings you no loss on D. The only change is if Vazquez plays himself into full time 3B.

1B I see a strait platoon of Busch and Wisdom.
Mervis IMO ends up in Japan.

C It could end up as a strait 50/50 split. Both are pretty much equal in talent and you want to start the transition.

DH. I do see this as a rotational spot. Jed should trade Morel. But if Vazquez ends up taking over 3B then Morel becomes the main off day guy and this becomes a rotational spot for hitting days.

Now pitching the top 4 are set. 5 I see most going to Wicks. His change up is already the best one coming out of the minors and we will end up seeing it as one of the best in MLB. That pitch will propel him this year. Yes there will be a pitch count and a innings issue over the season to contend with. But I see the right move being to deepen middle relief to keep the innings down in season.

Getting 5 out of the starter not not giving up the game in the 6th is the best investment that Jed can make this year

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Until Jed signs any of Boras's guys I won't include them in this discussion.

Now talking about today and players coming into camp.

LF Happ has it on lock.

CF this should be on PCA to prove that he can deal with the high heat. If he can then he starts opening day. If not should be a platoon of Tauchman and Canario.

RF Suzuki should have this on lock and I have him as the team MVP this year. I see a full season of his last year run. We will miss Bellinger less due to him.

3B this will be Madgril. Injury is the main factor here. I see some stability factored in and it allows Luis Vazquez to be the UI. Now injury could change this abd it opens up possibly but I see Luis getting opportunity to get reps at all 3 spots and if his bat out plays Madgral or Mad goes down it is a easy switch. Out of the gate I would expect one less rookie to worry about in April to make the engine go

SS this is a lock and getting him off for a day at DH should be easier with Vazquez.

2B. Same with SS. Vazquez brings you no loss on D. The only change is if Vazquez plays himself into full time 3B.

1B I see a strait platoon of Busch and Wisdom.
Mervis IMO ends up in Japan.

C It could end up as a strait 50/50 split. Both are pretty much equal in talent and you want to start the transition.

DH. I do see this as a rotational spot. Jed should trade Morel. But if Vazquez ends up taking over 3B then Morel becomes the main off day guy and this becomes a rotational spot for hitting days.

Now pitching the top 4 are set. 5 I see most going to Wicks. His change up is already the best one coming out of the minors and we will end up seeing it as one of the best in MLB. That pitch will propel him this year. Yes there will be a pitch count and a innings issue over the season to contend with. But I see the right move being to deepen middle relief to keep the innings down in season.

Getting 5 out of the starter not not giving up the game in the 6th is the best investment that Jed can make this year
i remember you predicting this same result for Schwarber when he left the Cubs. We can only hope Mervis ends up with the same level of results as Schwarber did post your prediction

Castor76

Liked Posts:
i remember you predicting this same result for Schwarber when he left the Cubs. We can only hope Mervis ends up with the same level of results as Schwarber did post your prediction

You want Mervis to become a barely playable guy who only has value as a bat that's kept off the field because he's so bad he'll cost you half the games his bat would win for you? What did he ever do to you?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You want Mervis to become a barely playable guy who only has value as a bat that's kept off the field because he's so bad he'll cost you half the games his bat would win for you? What did he ever do to you?
wut???