Chicago Cubs 2023-24 OFFSEASON thread

Castor76

Liked Posts:

You said you want Mervis to have the same success as Schwarber. That's what Schwaber has become, a barely playable guy who is a bat only and a severe hinderance to his team should he be put in the field. "Wut" part of that was too much for you to understand?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You said you want Mervis to have the same success as Schwarber. That's what Schwaber has become, a barely playable guy who is a bat only and a severe hinderance to his team should he be put in the field. "Wut" part of that was too much for you to understand?

Probs the part where he has been a positive WAR player every year and finished 19th in MVP voting last season and 16th the year before while winning a silver slugger.

Imagine thinking that somehow equals a barely playable player

If Mervis lives up to half of what Schwarber has been since leaving the cubs, he will carve out a decent career for himself

Like, do you even baseball bruh?!

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Also, I didn’t realize barely playable players get over 1,150 at bats over the last 2 years 🤔

Not to mention, mashing 93 homers total the last two years

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Also, I didn’t realize barely playable players get over 1,150 at bats over the last 2 years 🤔

Not to mention, mashing 93 homers total the last two years

He's one dimensional to the point his team won't play him in the field unless they absolutely have to. I already covered that his bat is good to great but his defense is so bad it takes away half of that value unless you only let him hit. I was clear on that, you just refused to acknowledge it.

But keep stroking yourself to his HR highlight reel. The Cubs already have a one dimensional bad defense power hitter named Patrick Wisdom. Over the past 2 seasons Schwarber has had a slightly better PA/HR compared to Wisdom of 14.9 to 17.4. I guess the Cubs should lock up Wisdom for about 15M per.

If Schwarber didn't hit 40+ bombs a year, he'd be a bench bat and you know it.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He's one dimensional to the point his team won't play him in the field unless they absolutely have to. I already covered that his bat is good to great but his defense is so bad it takes away half of that value unless you only let him hit. I was clear on that, you just refused to acknowledge it.

But keep stroking yourself to his HR highlight reel. The Cubs already have a one dimensional bad defense power hitter named Patrick Wisdom. Over the past 2 seasons Schwarber has had a slightly better PA/HR compared to Wisdom of 14.9 to 17.4. I guess the Cubs should lock up Wisdom for about 15M per.

If Schwarber didn't hit 40+ bombs a year, he'd be a bench bat and you know it.
1st bolded - they don’t have to. They DH him, you are aware the NL has the DH now, yeah?! There’s no need to acknowledge something that is a moot/dumb point since there’s the DH

2nd bolded - if wisdom starts finishing in the top 20 for MVP votes, then sure I’d be fine giving him 15 mil, but he isn’t the same player/bat as Schwarber as evidenced by the fact Schwarber is a top 20 MVP candidate and all star and Wisdom is none of those things. You know this(or at least should), so not sure why you want to die on the hill of Schwarber = Wisdom. You are just going to look dumb

3rd bolded - but he DOES hit 40+ bombs per year and has led the league in HR in a season before. So while you claim I am ignoring his lack of fielding ability(which he doesn’t need to field when he is a DH), you’re actually the one ignoring the HR’s, RBI, Runs, Silver Sluggers, top 20 MVP finishes, and all star appearance

So congrats

Castor76

Liked Posts:
1st bolded - they don’t have to. They DH him, you are aware the NL has the DH now, yeah?! There’s no need to acknowledge something that is a moot/dumb point since there’s the DH

2nd bolded - if wisdom starts finishing in the top 20 for MVP votes, then sure I’d be fine giving him 15 mil, but he isn’t the same player/bat as Schwarber as evidenced by the fact Schwarber is a top 20 MVP candidate and all star and Wisdom is none of those things. You know this(or at least should), so not sure why you want to die on the hill of Schwarber = Wisdom. You are just going to look dumb

3rd bolded - but he DOES hit 40+ bombs per year and has led the league in HR in a season before. So while you claim I am ignoring his lack of fielding ability(which he doesn’t need to field when he is a DH), you’re actually the one ignoring the HR’s, RBI, Runs, Silver Sluggers, top 20 MVP finishes, and all star appearance

So congrats

I aware the NL has a DH. I pointed it out when I said his team doesn't let him play the field unless they have to play him in the field. You can't score a point using information I gave you.

Since Schwarber is getting about 20M, me saying Wisdom should then get 15M, using yours and Philly's basis, means I'm saying he's 75% the player Schwarber is. Math must not have been a good subject for you. I never said they are equal. Thanks for playing and proving how dumb you are.

Silver Slugger, AS games, and MVP are arbitrary awards from outside sources. Runs and RBI are products of team success as much as individual player success. And I already proved that if they had the same PAs his HR total would be around what Schwarber did, about 25 fewer, not great, but not bad. Not to scare you too bad, but Wisdom was actually better last year in the PA/HR ratio than Schwarber in 2024. Wisdom hit a HR once every 13.13 PA while TOP 20 MVP VOTE GETTER KYLE SCHWARBER hit a HR every 15.32 PA.

Your words were about Mervis having the success of Schwarber post Cubs. If you truly mean that, you must hate Mervis because you want to reduce him to a footnote with a nice highlight reel. That's who he has been since leaving the Cubs. He's a great bat. He's a liability in every other capacity, so much to the point that until the NL adopted the DH, half the teams in baseball had next to no use for him. He had so little value no one was calling up the Cubs to even offer a bag of balls for him just to keep another team from snatching him up first. And that WAR that you love so much went down about 75% despite Schwarber scoring more runs, hitting more HR, driving in more runs, and having a better OBP. Can you explain that?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I aware the NL has a DH. I pointed it out when I said his team doesn't let him play the field unless they have to play him in the field. You can't score a point using information I gave you.

Since Schwarber is getting about 20M, me saying Wisdom should then get 15M, using yours and Philly's basis, means I'm saying he's 75% the player Schwarber is. Math must not have been a good subject for you. I never said they are equal. Thanks for playing and proving how dumb you are.

Silver Slugger, AS games, and MVP are arbitrary awards from outside sources. Runs and RBI are products of team success as much as individual player success. And I already proved that if they had the same PAs his HR total would be around what Schwarber did, about 25 fewer, not great, but not bad. Not to scare you too bad, but Wisdom was actually better last year in the PA/HR ratio than Schwarber in 2024. Wisdom hit a HR once every 13.13 PA while TOP 20 MVP VOTE GETTER KYLE SCHWARBER hit a HR every 15.32 PA.

Your words were about Mervis having the success of Schwarber post Cubs. If you truly mean that, you must hate Mervis because you want to reduce him to a footnote with a nice highlight reel. That's who he has been since leaving the Cubs. He's a great bat. He's a liability in every other capacity, so much to the point that until the NL adopted the DH, half the teams in baseball had next to no use for him. He had so little value no one was calling up the Cubs to even offer a bag of balls for him just to keep another team from snatching him up first. And that WAR that you love so much went down about 75% despite Schwarber scoring more runs, hitting more HR, driving in more runs, and having a better OBP. Can you explain that?
I’m really happy that happened for you or really sorry to hear that…whichever applies best for what you wrote

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Apparently today I learned that the only thing holding Patrick wisdom back from leading the league in homeruns and being a top MVP getter, winning a silver slugger, and being an all star is at bats!!

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Apparently today I learned that the only thing holding Patrick wisdom back from leading the league in homeruns and being a top MVP getter, winning a silver slugger, and being an all star is at bats!!
He's an idiot who thinks he's smart....more boring than anything else. Nobody pays any attention to him here or maybe most everyone did like me and put him on ignore. He's a thread killer. Regardless, he's of no interest to me.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
i remember you predicting this same result for Schwarber when he left the Cubs. We can only hope Mervis ends up with the same level of results as Schwarber did post your prediction

Well I was watching a YouTube and Mervis was brought up. Turns out he pitched and played 3B in college. Threw 94MPH. Never know.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On Mervis or Schwarbwr comps. To be honest Schwarbwr was a first round pick. The Cubs miss handled him. He found himself after.

Mervis was not drafted. He put himself on the map vs minor league pitching.

It is more likely that he hits Japan like LaHair did after Rizzo took off I see that as a comp to Mervis. Now if he can move off 1B and become a corner IF and OF I could see him forcing reps. He has improved his glove work and the arm plays up.

Wisdom sucks. Plain and simple. Bad choice to make him a deal. Bad D and strokes out at record numbers. Fill time he could push 300 K and 40 errors not exaggerating

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
On Mervis or Schwarbwr comps. To be honest Schwarbwr was a first round pick. The Cubs miss handled him. He found himself after.

Mervis was not drafted. He put himself on the map vs minor league pitching.

It is more likely that he hits Japan like LaHair did after Rizzo took off I see that as a comp to Mervis. Now if he can move off 1B and become a corner IF and OF I could see him forcing reps. He has improved his glove work and the arm plays up.

Wisdom sucks. Plain and simple. Bad choice to make him a deal. Bad D and strokes out at record numbers. Fill time he could push 300 K and 40 errors not exaggerating
It wasn't you....but somebody on here thought Wisdom had GG potential. LOL While it's always been my contention that a great glove at 3B is not a necessity but a mediocre glove with a gazillion K's just isn't gonna work.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
His first year his D was good but it was a small sample size. Most reports have hard as rock hands and foot work is better at dancing

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Because third base is so open you hope that Jed opens The door to Mervis and other players. If mervous could actually man third base that would be highly interesting going into the year

Also locked on cubs did a podcast. They brought up if they don't go big they should go after DJ Martinez for DH and then trade morel

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As a what if.

Hoerner 2B
Happ LF
Suzuki RF
Martinez DH
Busch 1B
Swanson SS
Mervis 3B (Madgril late inning replacement)
Gomes C
PCA CF

Then trade Morel and cut Wisdom. Make Vazquez the main UI and Tauchman as the 4th OF.

The guy that may have a break out spring is Brennon Davis. He is finally 100% and crushing it. So we could end up seeing him pushing PCA in CF.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I think Morel is gonna be slated for third. If Belly is signed (I'd say 95% chance of it) this allows Belly to play CF/1b again and allows the Cubs to float the DH around to whoever is not in the field.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Morel is gonna be slated for third. If Belly is signed (I'd say 95% chance of it) this allows Belly to play CF/1b again and allows the Cubs to float the DH around to whoever is not in the field.
I want Morel in there somewhere and he probably will be....I think he'll play a little bit of everywhere. Weighing in factors like injuries, resting starters and the type of pitchers he can hit well against. Counsell will have a ton of manueverability available to him particularly if they get Bellinger back. My biggest worry remains the pen....it's the biggest thing Counsell had going for him in Milwaukee. You can quickly go from being a great manager to a bad one if that part of the team fails.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
You're the one slobbing over a one tool player. Schwarber literally only hits for power. It is nice that you learned the concept of math, better late than never. Speaking of never, never once did you actually refute any statement I made. I said Schwarber is barely playable, you jerked it to his home runs, I verified that's the only thing making him playable, you continued jerking it to his home runs. I'm sorry you don't care for facts, but your not caring doesn't change them. Maybe Diehard with come in for you and take over jerking you to Schwarber's home runs. Because for a guy who claims to not care about what I post, he sure was up to speed on my posts. Maybe one day the two of you can manage to read something longer than a limerick.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You're the one slobbing over a one tool player. Schwarber literally only hits for power. It is nice that you learned the concept of math, better late than never. Speaking of never, never once did you actually refute any statement I made. I said Schwarber is barely playable, you jerked it to his home runs, I verified that's the only thing making him playable, you continued jerking it to his home runs. I'm sorry you don't care for facts, but your not caring doesn't change them. Maybe Diehard with come in for you and take over jerking you to Schwarber's home runs. Because for a guy who claims to not care about what I post, he sure was up to speed on my posts. Maybe one day the two of you can manage to read something longer than a limerick.
Someone is madddddd

First off,I did refute what you said regarding him barely being playable by pointing out the massive number of at bats he’s had the last two years. Which makes him extremely playable

You’re just too stupid to realize it apparently.

I never jerked it to anything. All I said was if Mervis becomes half the player Schwarber is, he will make a decent career for himself.

You’re the one losing your damn mind over it. Seriously, take a break from CCS before you snap(more than you already have)