Chiefs game shows why Bears should have drafted Tunsil not Floyd

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Slauson would be nice to have back, I didn't agree with the cut.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
It should have been started last year, and FWIW, I am on record last year as stating so. Instead we got K-rod. This year we released Slauson. I'm not a big fan of addition by subtraction, are you?

Slauson isnt a zone-blocker, and thus didnt fit the system.

I dont mind drafting White, Pace gambled on raw talent in the first, and beefed up the lines with his next two picks. Sounds like a pretty good strategy to me.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:

A high round OL pick was filled
do you want them to use their first 3 picks on the OL. Sure they need more help but how many high picks in one draft do you want them to use on OL ?

My preference before the draft was an LT in the first round and a corner in the second. Given how things have unfolded I do believe that might have worked out better at least for this season. Maybe Floyd goes nuts as a pass rusher at some point and in the long run it all works out but for the moment ...

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Slauson isnt a zone-blocker, and thus didnt fit the system.

I dont mind drafting White, Pace gambled on raw talent in the first, and beefed up the lines with his next two picks. Sounds like a pretty good strategy to me.

How is it working out so far? How about that zone blocking scheme ? Have you seen our anemic rushing totals? Ever here of pass blocking?

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
LMAO Filled? Really? They bought one brand new tire on a vehicle that needed 4, hardly a fill (addressing depth and starter here).

Could have? I hope so, verdict still out. Point is with a team like the Bears, I prefer a little less risk in my first round picks.

Didn't Ryan pace come into the position saying that he goes by a BPA mentality?

Plus, all o-line in the 1st round was taken except for one who leaked a video of him smoking pot, seeing the disaster of a situation josh Gordon became, I understand an overreaction.

Who did you expect them to sign at guard, omisele for what 11/12 mil a year? Who was worth signing as a swing tackle?

They had a plan. A nice young o-line. Leno white hair Grasu long and massie. They planned on their draft pick to continue to develop. They signed veteran depth who were graded as bad starters, but they are depth for a reason. You don't get to sign quality starters as depth in the NFL.

Before you criticize, tell me what you would have done differently. Drafting tunsil would have had minimal positivite impact on the offensive line.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
How is it working out so far? How about that zone blocking scheme ? Have you seen our anemic rushing totals? Ever here of pass blocking?

You are stressing out way too much based on the production in the preseason. Our blocking will look far better when Long gets back, and we will be opening up the playbook instead of calling all the basic plays we have seen so far.

Sit back, relax, and crack open a beer. It is only the preseason. The point of the preseason isnt to win, it is glorified practice where you get your players back into game-speed.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My preference before the draft was an LT in the first round and a corner in the second. Given how things have unfolded I do believe that might have worked out better at least for this season. Maybe Floyd goes nuts as a pass rusher at some point and in the long run it all works out but for the moment ...

Leno will be fine as the left tackle, he hit the weight room hard in the off season and is stronger and has a year under his belt now, he is not a weak link in the OL.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are stressing out way too much based on the production in the preseason. Our blocking will look far better when Long gets back, and we will be opening up the playbook instead of calling all the basic plays we have seen so far.

Sit back, relax, and crack open a beer. It is only the preseason. The point of the preseason isnt to win, it is glorified practice where you get your players back into game-speed.

^^^^:beer: Everybody freaking out about pre season. This is a rebuild, if the season starts and there is total suckage let the crying begin. Don't judge where this team is at from pre season games.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Leno will be fine as the left tackle, he hit the weight room hard in the off season and is stronger and has a year under his belt now, he is not a weak link in the OL.

Does anyone know how good or bad Leno did in the Chiefs game.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
We will never know how good this team can be until the Bears build a top notch oline. Cutler is a total Dr Jekyl vs Mr Hyde QB based on the play of his oline. The best year he had with Martz when he got hurt and his first season with Trestman the oline was very good and he excelled. He also did well in Denver when his oline was good. When his oline is shaky his mechanics stink and he has in the past though not too recently forces shit into traffic often for INT's. Put Jay in a relative comfort zone and he does some great things. Put him in jumpy feet mode and all sorts of shit can and will happen.The good news IMO is that he at least has the capacity to make many great plays when given the opportunity which cannot be said about a lot of starting QB's in the NFL.

Perhaps I am naive but I believe Cutler can win our guys a Super Bowl or at least take us into the NFC Championship game if his oline is playing really well. However to me the Chiefs game showed us why Elway fired Fox and hired an offensive HC because defensive HC's like Lovie and Fox dont know when to prioritize offensive needs over defensive needs.

Click-bait? You didn't even talk about Smokin' Larry's play.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Just for giggles here is a scouting report on Tunsil

Laremy Tunsil Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
Great athlete
Elite blind-side protector
Rare quickness on the edge
Quick in his kick slide and drop
Explosion off the snap
Excellent knee bend
Mirrors speed rushers
Anchors against bull rushers
Phenomenal feet; fast footwork
Good arm length (34.5 inches)
Effective run blocker
Can get movement in the ground game
Lightning fast to the second level
Good pad level as a run blocker
Perfect for a zone-blocking scheme
Scheme flexibility
Blocks with authority
Has the ability to shut down elite pass-rushers for four quarters
Experienced and successful against good college rushers
Recoverability
Flashes some aggression
Huge upside

Weaknesses:
Accepted improper benefits causing a suspension
How will he handle losing to a good NFL pass-rusher?
Could have issues with strong, elite rushers like J.J. Watt (who doesn't?)
Should fill out frame for NFL

Summary: In my first Big Board for the 2016 NFL Draft, Tunsil was my No. 1-rated player and I haven't moved him from the top spot once. He is far and away the best player in the 2016 NFL Draft. In any draft class, even a top-heavy class like 2014 or 2011, Tunsil is worthy of going in the top five, and he is the only prospect who teams feel that way about this year.

Tunsil broke into the starting lineup as a freshman. He was superb as a sophomore and was the best offensive lineman in the nation. As a junior, Tunsil was suspended seven games to start the season over accepting improper benefits from an agent. His stepfather made the allegations after he and Tunsil had an altercation over the summer. Tunsil said he was protecting his mother, and the stepfather denies that side of the story.

After coming back to the field, Tunsil was superb for Ole Miss. His return to action was against Texas A&M, and he impressed with how he blocked Aggies superstar defensive end Myles Garrett. Tunsil showed why he is held in such high regard by performing well in his snaps with Garrett. A week later, Tunsil had some issues with Auburn speed rusher Carl Lawson, but overall, had a solid game. After that, Tunsil dominated against the likes of Arkansas, Mississippi State and Oklahoma State.

Tunsil is a true franchise left tackle who is ready to start in the NFL immediately. He has phenomenal athleticism and quickness. Tunsil is very fast with picture perfect knee bend to mirror and stop speed rushes around the corner. He also has natural strength in his base to hold up against bull rushes and is a rock-solid pass protector. As if those qualities weren't enough, Tunsil has quality length that makes it is hard for rushers to get around him.

In the ground game, Tunsil gets movement at the point of attack. He plays with good leverage and keeps his defenders from making the play. Tunsil is extremely quick to fire to the second level to hit blocks on linebackers while also showing the agility to hit perimeter blocks downfield.

In the NFL, Tunsil will fill out his already substantial frame, which will make him even better. He has the body to grow into being a bigger, stronger offensive lineman. Sources say that early in his career, Tunsil could struggle against powerful edge rushers like a J.J. Watt, but they acknowledge that every blocker struggles with Watt. Still, it will help Tunsil to add more functional strength. The other question that sources have is how will Tunsil handle being beaten? He's dominated at every level of football thus far, including the SEC, so they wonder how Tunsil will respond when he is bested by NFL rushers as no blocker wins 100 percent of their snaps all season long. Sources feel that those concerns are extremely minor.

As a pro, Tunsil looks like he has the potential to be an elite left tackle and one of the best at his position in the NFL. I could see him becoming a perennial Pro Bowler and a dominant pass protector quickly in his professional career.

WalterFootball.com knows that Tunsil his held in high regard by teams picking high, and they believe he is a legitimate top-five talent in any draft class. In speaking with a top general manager and sources at a variety of teams, they agreed with Tunsil being NFL-ready; a franchise left tackle; the best player in the 2016 NFL Draft; and a great athlete with knee bend, quick feet and the size to get stronger. Tunsil is deserving of going with the No. 1-overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft.

In mid-January, I reported that the Titans were interested in trading down, but if they remained at No.1, Tunsil was the initial favorite to be their pick. In following up with Tennessee sources, it sounds like that plan is still on track.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just for giggles here is a scouting report on Tunsil

Laremy Tunsil Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
Great athlete
Elite blind-side protector
Rare quickness on the edge
Quick in his kick slide and drop
Explosion off the snap
Excellent knee bend
Mirrors speed rushers
Anchors against bull rushers
Phenomenal feet; fast footwork
Good arm length (34.5 inches)
Effective run blocker
Can get movement in the ground game
Lightning fast to the second level
Good pad level as a run blocker
Perfect for a zone-blocking scheme
Scheme flexibility
Blocks with authority
Has the ability to shut down elite pass-rushers for four quarters
Experienced and successful against good college rushers
Recoverability
Flashes some aggression
Huge upside

Weaknesses:
Accepted improper benefits causing a suspension
How will he handle losing to a good NFL pass-rusher?
Could have issues with strong, elite rushers like J.J. Watt (who doesn't?)
Should fill out frame for NFL

Summary: In my first Big Board for the 2016 NFL Draft, Tunsil was my No. 1-rated player and I haven't moved him from the top spot once. He is far and away the best player in the 2016 NFL Draft. In any draft class, even a top-heavy class like 2014 or 2011, Tunsil is worthy of going in the top five, and he is the only prospect who teams feel that way about this year.

Tunsil broke into the starting lineup as a freshman. He was superb as a sophomore and was the best offensive lineman in the nation. As a junior, Tunsil was suspended seven games to start the season over accepting improper benefits from an agent. His stepfather made the allegations after he and Tunsil had an altercation over the summer. Tunsil said he was protecting his mother, and the stepfather denies that side of the story.

After coming back to the field, Tunsil was superb for Ole Miss. His return to action was against Texas A&M, and he impressed with how he blocked Aggies superstar defensive end Myles Garrett. Tunsil showed why he is held in such high regard by performing well in his snaps with Garrett. A week later, Tunsil had some issues with Auburn speed rusher Carl Lawson, but overall, had a solid game. After that, Tunsil dominated against the likes of Arkansas, Mississippi State and Oklahoma State.

Tunsil is a true franchise left tackle who is ready to start in the NFL immediately. He has phenomenal athleticism and quickness. Tunsil is very fast with picture perfect knee bend to mirror and stop speed rushes around the corner. He also has natural strength in his base to hold up against bull rushes and is a rock-solid pass protector. As if those qualities weren't enough, Tunsil has quality length that makes it is hard for rushers to get around him.

In the ground game, Tunsil gets movement at the point of attack. He plays with good leverage and keeps his defenders from making the play. Tunsil is extremely quick to fire to the second level to hit blocks on linebackers while also showing the agility to hit perimeter blocks downfield.

In the NFL, Tunsil will fill out his already substantial frame, which will make him even better. He has the body to grow into being a bigger, stronger offensive lineman. Sources say that early in his career, Tunsil could struggle against powerful edge rushers like a J.J. Watt, but they acknowledge that every blocker struggles with Watt. Still, it will help Tunsil to add more functional strength. The other question that sources have is how will Tunsil handle being beaten? He's dominated at every level of football thus far, including the SEC, so they wonder how Tunsil will respond when he is bested by NFL rushers as no blocker wins 100 percent of their snaps all season long. Sources feel that those concerns are extremely minor.

As a pro, Tunsil looks like he has the potential to be an elite left tackle and one of the best at his position in the NFL. I could see him becoming a perennial Pro Bowler and a dominant pass protector quickly in his professional career.

WalterFootball.com knows that Tunsil his held in high regard by teams picking high, and they believe he is a legitimate top-five talent in any draft class. In speaking with a top general manager and sources at a variety of teams, they agreed with Tunsil being NFL-ready; a franchise left tackle; the best player in the 2016 NFL Draft; and a great athlete with knee bend, quick feet and the size to get stronger. Tunsil is deserving of going with the No. 1-overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft.

In mid-January, I reported that the Titans were interested in trading down, but if they remained at No.1, Tunsil was the initial favorite to be their pick. In following up with Tennessee sources, it sounds like that plan is still on track.

Fuck, let it go who cares about Tunsil he's on another team.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
We will never know how good this team can be until the Bears build a top notch oline. Cutler is a total Dr Jekyl vs Mr Hyde QB based on the play of his oline. The best year he had with Martz when he got hurt and his first season with Trestman the oline was very good and he excelled. He also did well in Denver when his oline was good. When his oline is shaky his mechanics stink and he has in the past though not too recently forces shit into traffic often for INT's. Put Jay in a relative comfort zone and he does some great things. Put him in jumpy feet mode and all sorts of shit can and will happen.The good news IMO is that he at least has the capacity to make many great plays when given the opportunity which cannot be said about a lot of starting QB's in the NFL.

Perhaps I am naive but I believe Cutler can win our guys a Super Bowl or at least take us into the NFC Championship game if his oline is playing really well. However to me the Chiefs game showed us why Elway fired Fox and hired an offensive HC because defensive HC's like Lovie and Fox dont know when to prioritize offensive needs over defensive needs.

Why are people under the delusion that Cutler played very good in 2013????

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Would have loved Laremy Turnstile to pair with Turnstile Long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would have taken Tunsil over Floyd in a heartbeat. So would have 32 other Gm's up until the gas mask incident. Kid's will be kids, and his fall was a gross over reaction. Anyone comparing Tunsil to Floyd at this stage in their development has a very low football IQ. The fact remains that the Bears O-line is a train wreck, and not enough attention was paid to it in the off season for two years now. Not at all sold on Massie, Grasu was a huge question mark even before his injury (a fact people seem to forget).

Floyd was a luxury pick when there were other areas that needed to be addressed first.

Yep. Both the White pick and the Floyd pick were unnecessary selections. They had chances to add two great draft picks in the last two years but screwed the pooch and you just cannot miss on your first two picks. With Tunsil and Whitehair, they had a real chance to have a good offensive line for years to come. Keep Slauson and add Massie and by the end of the season they could have confidence in their offensive line being a good one. Now they have cluster-fucked things up once again.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fuck, let it go who cares about Tunsil he's on another team.

I care because they missed out on one of the premier players in that draft and instead went for s situational type defensive player. I totally disagree with Pace's selections of number one picks.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Yep. Both the White pick and the Floyd pick were unnecessary selections. They had chances to add two great draft picks in the last two years but screwed the pooch and you just cannot miss on your first two picks. With Tunsil and Whitehair, they had a real chance to have a good offensive line for years to come. Keep Slauson and add Massie and by the end of the season they could have confidence in their offensive line being a good one. Now they have cluster-fucked things up once again.

It looks to me like Pace takes a chance on players who have the chance to be catalysts in the first round, while making solid picks in the mid rounds to ensure that the draft doesnt bust like we saw with many of JA's drafts. His midround selections are looking good so far - Goldman is fantastic, and Whitehair and Bullard are looking good. Grasu is out for the year so we cannot evaluate his progress yet.

However, I disagree that Floyd was an unnecessary pick. Who knows how long we are going to be keeping around Houston, Young and McPhee? Sure we resigned Young, but Floyd is a speed rusher who we can have for eight years or more, and who will be in his prime when we (theoretically) are back in SB contention. And it isnt like Pace picked him while disregarding the opinions of his coaches; If his defensive-minded head coach and top-notch DC were not on board, there is no way that Pace would have traded up to grab Floyd.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Cutler is a total Dr Jekyl vs Mr Hyde QB based on the play of his oline.

What? The only time he got to the playoffs was with a garbage OL and small crap receivers. Behind the best OL he's had in Chicago and pro-bowlers at every skill position he had a similar rating and got outplayed by a high school teacher. The difference in team outcome between these seasons was defense. Cutler was Cutler, as he always is.

Cutler is arguably the QB whose performance is least affected by surrounding talent in the league. He's consistently mediocre, regardless whether his line and weapons and good or bad.