Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Eagles just fleeced the lions

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lions are so damn weird. They finally had a good offseason with drafting Hutchinson and trading for Goff, and seemed to finally get it together and give their franchise hope.... only to realize "hey wait, we are the Lions" and go back to being dumb.

Well, Lions should take heart - I think Minnesota's GM is actually WAY worse and is going to have that franchise in 4th place for a while - he reminds me of Phil Emery...
congrats on winning March and April, lets see if they can turn the hype into reality come September

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember when the lions had 2 first round picks ... they added a RB who literally fumbled the game away and a middling MLB. YIKES.

They lucked their way into hutchinson as well.
what about Laporta and Branch, I guess they don't count

Canth

Liked Posts:
I think the Terrion Arnold pick was fine and made sense.

What was a bit odd to me, was just how often the Lions traded up in this draft.

Snapshots from the Athletic trade tracker:

1714269177493.png

1714269210039.png

1714269226004.png

1714269246663.png

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Wow who would have guessed all of these losers wearing brand new jerseys were all a bunch of bandwagon, fair weather frauds? Oh well at least they’re not spending every night F5ing a bears message board luuuuul
Ask Jared Goff from what direction does the sun rise?

“He was featured twice on "Hard Knocks" in his five seasons with the Los Angeles Rams and had one forgettable moment as a rookie in 2016, when he could not tell then-Rams quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke which direction the sun rises.

One of several Rams stumped by that question, Goff told Barstool Radio more than a year later fans still were harassing him about his faux pas.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Lions are so damn weird. They finally had a good offseason with drafting Hutchinson and trading for Goff, and seemed to finally get it together and give their franchise hope.... only to realize "hey wait, we are the Lions" and go back to being dumb.

Well, Lions should take heart - I think Minnesota's GM is actually WAY worse and is going to have that franchise in 4th place for a while - he reminds me of Phil Emery...
Agree, the Minny GM is suppose to be a smart guy and I think he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room
and he isn't.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Agree, the Minny GM is suppose to be a smart guy and I think he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room
and he isn't.
So far the only pick he's managed to add is Addison...and he's had a fair amount of draft picks. Maybe the McCarthy pick will turn out, although he's coming into a completely different system in MN.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
So far the only pick he's managed to add is Addison...and he's had a fair amount of draft picks. Maybe the McCarthy pick will turn out, although he's coming into a completely different system in MN.

The biggest problem is that McCarthy will be asked to throw the ball. Something he didn't have to do much in college.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The biggest problem is that McCarthy will be asked to throw the ball. Something he didn't have to do much in college.
Overrecruiting and overdrafting is a huge thing now, IMO.

I think the NFL is always looking for the next thing before it becomes a thing. JJ McCarthy hasn't got "it" yet but I think teams think/thought they can get it out of him. QBs are so needed that teams reach. There is no reason this many QBs should have gone in the 1st this year.

As far as college I can tell you from experience it is the same. My step son graduated from HS 2 years ago. He started 5 games his entire high school career on his varsity team before he was benched. That said he had a 3.7 GPA, a great ACT score and was 6'4' 235 playing DE, he isn't fast, he isn't strong, looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. He looked the part but just was not very good. He went to a TON of camps for years. He made a twitter profile, followed coaches, made sure to speak to coaches at camps individually and told them he wanted to play for them. The camps he went to were for D3 schools. Anyways, we thought the dream was dead until 1 D3 school hit him up and said they had an offer coming. He got it, then another, then another. He got I think 4-5 offers to D3 schools. (Technically they weren't offers because none of those schools gave athletic scholarships). He "committed" to one but then hit up a coach at a D1 school that was at a D3 school, IIRC that he met at a camp. They said he could be a preferred walk on. He took it. Three months after being at the school he quit the team. He ended up suffering from anxiety and didn't know how to deal with it. He would have played and started probably at the D3 schools that wanted him. Now he is on his 3rd D1 school assuming his grades are ok (last 2 were FCS, first was an FBS school). The transfer portal has things in an uproar. It isn't just star players that are moving around. Kids that are never going to play are moving all over the place. It's crazy. The kids on his team that went on to play college ball blew my mind. Absolutely wild! Basically I'm saying all of this to say, teams reach all over the place. The top of a roster, the bottom of a roster. It doesn't matter. Some of those reaches pan out.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I think they hit the panic button. They would've been better off staying put and drafting whomever. I don't think KOC is the QB whisperer that everyone thinks he is. But that's fine by me, the less I hear the fans up here trash talkin the better

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I think they hit the panic button. They would've been better off staying put and drafting whomever. I don't think KOC is the QB whisperer that everyone thinks he is. But that's fine by me, the less I hear the fans up here trash talkin the better

Not usually a Nick Wright fan, but he's been singing the praises of the Bears lately, and he clowned the McCarthy pick. "They took a QB at 10, that should have went around 75" :LOL:

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Not usually a Nick Wright fan, but he's been singing the praises of the Bears lately, and he clowned the McCarthy pick. "They took a QB at 10, that should have went around 75" :LOL:
He's Mac Jones without the punching players in the groin