Cole Kmet On Fields getting the start

Canth

Liked Posts:
What I have found strange about it is that all offseason, the beat writers talked about how Kmet was standing out in practice. That was true throughout all of the OTAs, mini-camp, and training camp. Then, you get to the actual season and it has been mostly nothing.

A part of that is on Dalton and how he basically goes with his pre-snap read to be so quick getting the ball out. So, if the pre-snap wasn't the TE, then they are out of luck. And a part of that is going to be on Nagy and the playcall/his offense.

It will be interesting to see if that changes with Fields. Fields use the TE a lot in the preseason.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I have found strange about it is that all offseason, the beat writers talked about how Kmet was standing out in practice. That was true throughout all of the OTAs, mini-camp, and training camp. Then, you get to the actual season and it has been mostly nothing.

A part of that is on Dalton and how he basically goes with his pre-snap read to be so quick getting the ball out. So, if the pre-snap wasn't the TE, then they are out of luck. And a part of that is going to be on Nagy and the playcall/his offense.

It will be interesting to see if that changes with Fields. Fields use the TE a lot in the preseason.

Actually he had a really good and active game week one, and in week 2 hardly went to him, so far just the opposite.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Kmet was wide open on some Dalton throws and he chose to go elsewhere. The failed 4th down completion that Robinson dropped in week 1, Kmet had no one around him. Its almost as if having a good OC(Nagy is the defacto OC) & good QB will help get the statistics up? Its a tough time explaining that to the meatballs on this board.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kmet right now is the 4th best TE in the league in average yards of separation. Right now i am leaving the lack of production on chemistry and Nagy's bullshit playcalling.
Very well could be

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
yeah, seriously....we heard a ton of jesse james, jesper horsted, even scooter fuckin harrington in the preseason while fields was in. i would imagine that kmet and graham are gonna get their names called just as much.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

As a guy that wants to see both Fields excel and Kmet to start producing, I'm hoping they have a bro-fest on Sunday.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Develop Fields and calls sound plays
You've been around this block long enough to know that a decent number of posters here will pin Fields' good development on his overall talent, and poor development on Nagy. It's already happening itt with another young player on the roster.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Unless he’s pulling a Miller, he’s running the routes Nagy designed. Hilarious you guys can’t give Nagy an ounce of credit, even making up crap so you don’t have to.

There’s plenty of room of criticism of our HC. But not acknowledging the even few positives he has just makes you look stupid and bitter…
Remember kmets catch for 0 yards on the last drive of the game against cincy? He probably had 5+ yards of separation on that play because he was a checkdown. Does that separation mean it was a great play design?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Just curious as we move forward this season: is there anything Nagy can do to receive credit?
I have in the past given Nagy credit for developing plays that scheme his players open. However to answer your question...if he can:

1. Exploit a defenses weakness, and keep doing it until they adjust - He moves away from things that are working so quick that it does not force a defense to react.

2. Have better personnel awareness - we have discussed this enough I think we are aware of him placing the wrong player into a critical situation

3. Have better situational awareness - kinda goes hand in hand with #2, but the fact that he is calling plays seems to essentially place blinders on him. He has his nose so far into the call sheet that he sometimes misses that the defense may have subbed a player into or out of the defense or that his star WR, might be exhausted and can not run another go route. This is the primary reason that I think he should get out of play calling so he can be a better HC.

4. When the entire Media (some former players)and fanbase question your strategy or lack of one, then perhaps it is time to give up play calling.

These are the things that he needs to do to get credit from me, but so far he has done the opposite.

We have not once beaten a team because of Nagy....he is the HC and should get credit for the defensive wins, like last week, but because he is so focused on the Offense (that has been very poor his entire tenure), we get those wins despite his presence....

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if poor OL blocking and batted down passes might be why QBs aren't going to the TEs as much. Many routes are short to medium depth and up the middle = most likely to get batted down, having to throw right into & over the OL?? Just a theory as to why Kmet & TEs aren't getting thrown to as much.

Also, a very small sample size of 2 games. 1 vs. a pass rush they designed to throw quickly; although while I'd say TE wasn't the 1st or 2nd read often vs LAR (he did get like 5 or 6 targets then tho FWIW).

Visionman

Liked Posts:
What? You still have to be able to run the routes and have some kind of physical attributes to get separation.If Kmet gets open on a basic slant are you going to give Nagy the credit for that shit too?
Since he called the play that worked, yes. That’s how it works…

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Kmet and Justin had some pretty good chemistry in the Preseason, so I hope he will have some more targets.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Nagy calls a slant but Kmet runs behind the opposing defender and runs slow as fuck that’s not separation. It’s a simple concept and doesn’t take that much vision, man

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

question: Is it your background as a lifelong Lions fan that makes you cape for anything the Bears coaching/FO people do?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You've been around this block long enough to know that a decent number of posters here will pin Fields' good development on his overall talent, and poor development on Nagy. It's already happening itt with another young player on the roster.
Yes I’m aware and I understand some of the skepticism too. This is Nagy’s 3rd hand picked QB so I get the malice however if Fields balls out and the playcalling is good than you can’t discount Nagy

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
question: Is it your background as a lifelong Lions fan that makes you cape for anything the Bears coaching/FO people do?
He’s a Lions fan? Dafuq? GUARDS!!