Cole Kmet

dennehy

Liked Posts:
In a full 16 game season the most targets he’s ever gotten in a season is 35 and it came out to a grand total of 224 yards. Like I said he’s not a receiving threat.
That's a completely different argument. Not being a top receiving threat and not being on the field for passing plays are very different. If you have some kind of proof that the team runs the ball disproportionately when he's on the field, that would be evidence.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
That's a completely different argument. Not being a top receiving threat and not being on the field for passing plays are very different. If you have some kind of proof that the team runs the ball disproportionately when he's on the field, that would be evidence.
I’m pretty sure he ran routes on about 29% of his snaps

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I’m pretty sure he ran routes on about 29% of his snaps
Pretty sure how? When he was at KC, with Nagy, he was targeted abut 8% of his snaps. Not sure about routes.

And again, it's not just how many routes he ran, but the percentage of times they ran when he was in. I'd expect it to be a little higher than average because he's mostly an inline TE, but I doubt it's a tell as you claim.

thedarkstark

Liked Posts:
How do you average 65 receptions and 800 yards per game over a 10 year period playing 5-6 snaps a game?
Not every game, the 4-5 starts that he missed every year. And had he been healthy instead of only playing goal line 3-4 games a year he'd had put up 1300 yards a season because he was a freak of nature.

thedarkstark

Liked Posts:
Noob. There are "negative" things you can say about Graham like his age and contract but "oft injured" is not one of them. DUH!
You don't know shit. I drafted him to my fantasy football team almost every year so I paid very close attention to his availability. He was an absolute stud, but he was missing snaps quite often because of ankle, wrist, and shoulder injuries.

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Brian Kelly Interview about Cole Kmet

First seven minutes is all about Cole Kmet. The quotes in the article were nice, but the way he answers some of the questions criticizing Kmet is comical. Says he would have been #1 tight end in next years draft too and drafted higher.

Kmet saw he had a chance at going to the Bears and took it. Nagys offense is the ideal offense for a young, ascending tight end.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
College coach praising his former player. Shocking. Can you play the tape of what college coaches said about Trubisky, White, etc.?

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
College coach praising his former player. Shocking. Can you play the tape of what college coaches said about Trubisky, White, etc.?

Pretty poor take here. It wasn’t all praises. He discussed Kmet’s strengths and weaknesses. He could have easily praised him without saying he was going to be an all pro. He didn’t need to include Kelce when he compared him to others like Rudolph and Eifert. He could have said his large size makes up for his “lack of speed”.

I think Brian Kelly has more credibility than whoever UNC‘s football coach is.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm happy that some of you Bears fans are happy.

With that being said my thoughts on the player was despite having a good frame, he's a pretty bad blocker.

Here's Dane Brugler's take on him in his draft guide:

COLE KMET | Notre Dame 6056 | 262 lbs. | JR. Lake Barrington, Ill. (St. Viator) 3/10/1999 (age 21.12) #84

BACKGROUND: Cole Kmet grew up as a multi-sport athlete in the Chicago suburbs, although baseball was his main focus over football throughout middle school. He played both sports at St. Viator and led the baseball team to the 2017 3A state championship as a pitcher and centerfielder. As a senior, Kmet was widely considered the best high school baseball player in the state, impressing as a hitter (.435 batting average, 12 home runs, 46 RBI) and left-handed pitcher (7-3 record with 2.11 ERA and 96 strikeouts). On the football field, he played tight end on offense and defensive end on defense. A senior captain, he finished the 2016 season with 48 catches for 773 yards and four scores, adding 32 tackles, 5.0 tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks on defense. Kmet collected a number of accolades, including second-team all-state honors. A four-star tight end recruit out of high school, Kmet was the No. 3 tight end recruit in the country behind only Colby Parkinson and Brock Wright (Kmet’s backup at Notre Dame). Kmet collected double-digit offers, but knew early on that Notre Dame was his destination, committing to the Irish during his junior season. However, he had another decision to make because the Chicago White Sox made him a lucrative six-figure offer to sign (and be a fifth-round draft pick in the 2017 MLB Draft). Kmet elected not to sign, instead choosing to play baseball and football at Notre Dame. His father (Frank) played defensive line at Purdue (1988-91) and was drafted in the fourth round (No. 111 overall) of the 1992 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills. His maternal uncle (Jeff Zgonina) also played on the Purdue defensive line (1989-92) and was drafted in the seventh round (No. 185 overall) of the 1993 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers, playing 17 seasons in the NFL for eight different teams. Zgonina coached several seasons in the NFL, including as the defensive line coach for the San Francisco 49ers in 2018, and currently serves as the assistant defensive line coach for the Washington Redskins. Primarily a left-handed reliever for the Irish, Kmet finished his college baseball career with 10 saves, appearing in 34 games over two seasons. He elected to skip his senior season and give up baseball to enter the 2020 NFL Draft.

2017: (13/0) 2 rec, 14 yards, 7.0 ypc, 0 TDs
2018: (11/7) 15 rec, 162 yards, 10.8 ypc, 0 TDs
2019: (11/11) 43 rec, 515 yards, 12.0 ypc, 6 TDs
Total: (35/18) 60 rec, 691 yards, 11.5 ypc, 6 TDs

STRENGTHS: NFL-ready body type with room to get stronger…large, accepting hands with excellent hand-eye coordination…catches well in stride to become a threat as a ball carrier…strong acceleration to quickly enter his route…doesn’t labor in his change of direction, naturally transitioning his weight at the stem…uses his body strength and toughness to trample would-be tacklers…enough upper body power to create movement as a blocker when he stays square and runs his legs…efficient job on pin action to help clear a path to the corner…is rarely moved when his technique is right…extremely driven and found a way to balance two sports and two majors while at Notre Dame…hard to find a former coach or teammate who doesn’t talk about him in the highest regard, using words like “winner,” “elite character” and “once in a lifetime young man.”

WEAKNESSES: Still an entry-level blocker from a consistency standpoint…upright in his pass-sets and late with his punch…must improve his set-up quickness and blocking angles to survive in pass pro…put some disappointing reps on tape as a lead blocker, lowering his pads, but bracing for contact instead of initiating it…guilty of head-ducking and losing balance as a run blocker…lacks elite speed or suddenness for the position…not the most detailed route-runner and must learn how to use his hips, eyes and strides to get open…quick healer and toughness isn’t a concern, but he missed several games due to injury over his career: suffered a high right ankle sprain (September 2018) that forced him to miss two games; required surgery after breaking his right clavicle (August 2019), missing the first two games of the 2019 season…is baseball still a future option for him?

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Notre Dame, Kmet was the starting tight end in head coach Brian Kelly’s pro style scheme, splitting his snaps inline, on the wing and detached. Following in the footsteps of players like Golden Tate and Jeff Samardzija, he is the latest Notre Dame product who split his time between baseball and football in South Bend, choosing the NFL over MLB (like Tate). Kmet is an easy player to like (both on and off the field) with outstanding ball skills and body control to dominate the catch point. While he must continue learning the details of route-running and blocking, he has never played only one sport so year-round dedication to football will certainly accelerate his development.

Overall, Kmet is a dependable and physically impressive pass catcher who doesn’t have a deal-breaking weakness to his game, projecting as an NFL-ready “Y” target similar to Jason Witten when he was coming out of Tennessee. GRADE: 2nd-3rd Round

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
If memory serves me correctly Mitch's coach said he's a dummy with poor fundamentals, but the guy is downright awesome at Halloween parties. For White I think his coach said he's a good prospect, but the AIDS-cancer he has in his shin could be an issue.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pretty poor take here. It wasn’t all praises. He discussed Kmet’s strengths and weaknesses. He could have easily praised him without saying he was going to be an all pro. He didn’t need to include Kelce when he compared him to others like Rudolph and Eifert. He could have said his large size makes up for his “lack of speed”.

I think Brian Kelly has more credibility than whoever UNC‘s football coach is.

SMH. This is being a meatball. It is his coach. Unless dude was a jackass he is going to get praise. Dabo once compared Watson to Jordon. Who gives a shit.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And yes Kmet is not good blocking. He has the frame and willingness it seems to become one but that is all projection right. Bears fans like players' college coaches tend to exaggerate things.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Kmet will be good. Im an Irish fan and watched him play he can be a handful. Once he makes the adjustments to the NFL and a QB who can actually play he will be solid.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Or maybe it happened because it was the deepest WR draft in a very long time and teams thought they get value at the position later and not get as good value at a different position? Drafts are fluid dude.

Like his prostitutes' gender.

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
At least he can throw a pitch out of one of Nagy's weird plays so there's that. Honestly I doubt most any rookie is gonna shine with no mini camps and with the preseason doubtful. The league won't open until all 32 teams are ready to open and some states like NY are far from opening anything up. so forget about which rookie will shine, not meant to be debbie downer but sadly we will be lucky to have a season at all, that's the reality we face. PS NY hasn't even gotten to phase 1 of returning to work. This fucking virus suckssssss

Last edited: