Could you GM the Bears?

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this deserves its own thread.
In another thread I said yes and I don't see why any reasonably competent person couldn't do the job.

I don't see what Phil has done that I or others couldn't have done. He has drafted at best, OK and made a decent hire for HC.

I actually think I would do some things better as far as strength, conditioning and diet.

I am talking about doing the job walking into the same job that Phil had. Taking over the same roster and organization, I think if you used your resources and put in the required study, you could do as well as Phil.

I am also a way better public speaker for whatever that's worth.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nope, no shame in saying so either. I don't have the experience to even be an armchair GM much less a real one.

Last edited:

Nick80

Without a shadow of a doubt.

tumblr_m7u9gk5Kie1rzjlc4o1_500.gif

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No way. That'd be like Emery stepping into my job. You have to know your business. We do not know crap about what it takes to put together a football team. The dumbest guy that we think is in the NFL knows ten times more than we know. same way that it was in my business.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
In another thread I said yes and I don't see why any reasonably competent person couldn't do the job.

I don't see what Phil has done that I or others couldn't have done. He has drafted at best, OK and made a decent hire for HC.

I actually think I would do some things better as far as strength, conditioning and diet.

I am talking about doing the job walking into the same job that Phil had. Taking over the same roster and organization, I think if you used your resources and put in the required study, you could do as well as Phil.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you could've rebuilt 80% of the NFL's worst offensive line in a single offseason by finding a FA guard that no one wanted off the scrap heap as well as not one, but two rookies. One of whom must go to the Pro Bowl.

/endthread

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
I put together perennial Super Bowl winners on Madden but 8-10 years in I always get royally fucked by dead money.

On a serious note I think people are ludicrous (insert Mike Tyson voice) for thinking that they could do better at a job where they only see the surface of what goes on.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No way. That'd be like Emery stepping into my job. You have to know your business. We do not know crap about what it takes to put together a football team. The dumbest guy that we think is in the NFL knows ten times more than we know. same way that it was in my business.

As I said in the other thread. I don't think I could be a position coach because I don't know those things well enough to teach them.

The GM hires players, coaches and scouts. I can figure that out and lean on the staff as.needed.

. The GM is a big picture guy. The coaches coach, the president runs the business, the contract guy does the contracts. I can delegate and make choices from a limited set of options, where is the special magic I'm missing?

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
If all it took to be a GM was watching youtube clips, searching on google, and following the combine I would make an AMAZING Bears GM. The better question is how many wanna be GM's (myself included) could get the job done without using google and youtube as your primary source of information?

Exactly.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No way. Two reasons (just for the sake of brevity):

-No industry contacts. How do you build a competent scouting department (for example) if you aren't familiar with the scouts, their strengths/weaknesses, the history of how well they've graded talent, etc.? And it's doubtful a top tier HC, director of scouting, VP of Football administration (Cliff Fucking Stein), etc., would be willing to work for some schmuck off the street if they have other prospects.

-Lack of training/experience. As pointed out by others, there's no way I'd expect Phil or you or anyone else on here to walk in and teach a class about Schenkerian Analysis or Set Theory, and to assume I could show up and do any of your jobs (more or less Phil's) is kind of ridiculous to me.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah, I'm sure you could've rebuilt 80% of the NFL's worst offensive line in a single offseason by finding a FA guard that no one wanted off the scrap heap as well as not one, but two rookies. One of whom must go to the Pro Bowl.

/endthread

I feel confident I would have improved the line right away and not wasted a year.

Phil has a staff and a coaching staff and can hire an army of willing interns to do things like compile lists of FA or provide him with cut-ups of every play Slauson played. He is not some lone ranger super whiz.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
. The GM is a big picture guy. The coaches coach, the president runs the business, the contract guy does the contracts. I can delegate and make choices from a limited set of options, where is the special magic I'm missing?

Like a boot Marine straight from school bitching about the division CG. I've heard this song before, and it's not worth explaining. You'll learn in time, if you care to.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

The best part is I don't think you're trolling... you're dead serious.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No way. Two reasons (just for the sake of brevity):

-No industry contacts. How do you build a competent scouting department (for example) if you aren't familiar with the scouts, their strengths/weaknesses, the history of how well they've graded talent, etc.? And it's doubtful a top tier HC, director of scouting, VP of Football administration (Cliff Fucking Stein), etc., would be willing to work for some schmuck off the street if they r prospects.

-Lack of training/experience. As pointed out by others, there's no way I'd expect Phil or you or anyone else on here to walk in and teach a class about Schenkerian Analysis or Set Theory, and to assume I could show up and do any of your jobs (more or less Phil's) is kind of ridiculous to me.

Phil didn't have to build a staff and kept almost everyone he inherited. People seem to like NFL jobs and likely wouldn't run away just because a stranger walked in the room

I don't think I can teach your class and i wouldn't try to, too much specific knowledge required. Could I hire a qualified professional to teach the class? Sure I could.

Nick80

Phil didn't have to build a staff and kept almost everyone he inherited. People seem to like NFL jobs and likely wouldn't run away just because a stranger walked in the room

I don't think I can teach your class and i wouldn't try to, too much specific knowledge required. Could I hire a qualified professional to teach the class? Sure I could.

Unlikely, you have no pull in football circles, you are but a set of letters and numbers on a message board.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Just posted about this in the other thread so bringing it here:

I'd say that the job of being a GM has insane time demands. But even on top of that, I think the hardest part of handling that job would be dealing with the pressure to win.

But the time demands ... think about it. You'd have no social life to speak of. If you have a family, you might get to see them a few hours each day. That's it. 24/7/365 job. It's for a very small minority of people.