Cubs (15-30) at Pittsburgh Pirates (21-24) 5/25-5/27 Series Discussion Thread

When will the Cubs end their 9-game losing streak?

• Saturday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sunday

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll go with the HBP. I lol'd.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know the Cubs are rebuilding. Whats really ticking me off is all the national media telling Cubs fans to be patient. How can you tell fans to be patient when team hasnt won anything in 103 yrs?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know the Cubs are rebuilding. Whats really ticking me off is all the national media telling Cubs fans to be patient. How can you tell fans to be patient when team hasnt won anything in 103 yrs?

Because there's really no other alternative. You can ask the billionaire owner to spend a bunch of money but that's just a short-term fix.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because there's really no other alternative. You can ask the billionaire owner to spend a bunch of money but that's just a short-term fix.

My argument is why cant they do a short term fix on MLB team while working on the minor leauges? I think its well known with new CBA its going to take 3+ yrs to build up farm, then it take 2+ yrs to start seeing that grow into the MLB club. So why not throw money into team for the next 5 yrs while building up farm. that was my 1 and only gripe last offseason. I didnt/dont want to see this kind of baseball for the next 5+ yrs

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The man who dared criticize Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer | Cubs Den

Sullivan claimed the Cubs pushed Carlos Zambrano too quickly out the door to appease media pressure and could have gotten more at this point for him.

Agreed^

Sullivan went on to say Theo and Jed lost their other deals such as Tyler Colvin for Ian Stewart, Sean Marshall for Travis Wood and prospects, and Marlon Byrd for Michael Bowden.

0-3 on trades so far^^

Sullivan also questioned why the Cubs didn’t bring up Anthony Rizzo when the team was playing well a few weeks ago. He thinks Rizzo could have injected some much-needed offense and kept the ball rolling.

Out of the 11 losses 6 have been by 1 run. Imagine if they had a legit middle of order hitter? Do they lose all these games by 1 run? If Rizzo is going to be as good as they think then they will just buy out his ARB and couple FA years. So not bringing him up to save that 1 yr is kind of silly to me

However, it got me thinking do we put this front office on too much of a pedestal? We have to at least allow ourselves to think about that for a minute.

To many Cub fans do put them on pedastals. Yes Theo did very well in BOS but never again i repeat never had to rebuild a team. He came to BOS where they had 90+ win team and he just had to find the missing piece and keep it together. Now if Cubs were ready to win and Theo was brought in i would be excited cause he has proven he can find that last piece and keep things going for extended period of time. Till he has proven he can rebuild a team i dont want to hear how great he is.

On the other hand, you have to look at San Diego’s stellar system and wonder if Jason McLeod is the guy that should have been walking on water on the Sun Times cover.

Sorry but i had to laugh at this cause who cares if minor league teams are good. The team sucks and until some of those players prove they can do it in the MLB will keep sucking.

Im not saying Sullivan is right about everything. I think he just saw how Cubs were compeitive under Hendry most years. Now he has to watch this awfull team day after day and there only hope that the team can be good in 3+ yrs.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is funny that Sullivan is now claiming that they were too quick to push Zambrano out the door. I am going to do a quick google search to see if we can find some quotes from Sullivan when Zambrano walked out on the team.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Sort of just playing devil's advocate here...though i have a line of belief in all these thoughts.

No, Zambrano needed to go. He chased out Barrett, Lou, D-Lee, and left the team on more than one occasion. We all knew/know he had talent, but at what expense? This team wasn't going to win 80 games with him -- better to rid the franchise of the headache.
0-3 on trades so far^^
100% Disagree. Yes, I would've liked to have kept Marshall, but he was walking after this season anyway, and Wood is serviceable. Colvin and Byrd suck. Cubs fans need to realize that this is the case. Yes, Stewart has sucked also, but we needed a 3b more than we needed another 5th OF.

Out of the 11 losses 6 have been by 1 run. Imagine if they had a legit middle of order hitter? Do they lose all these games by 1 run? If Rizzo is going to be as good as they think then they will just buy out his ARB and couple FA years. So not bringing him up to save that 1 yr is kind of silly to me
Still say the plan is right. No point in costing the team money in the future when this team isn't going anywhere this season. Make sure he's ready to be a full-time Major League 1b (and build up trade value for LaHair at the same time) before you bring him up.

To many Cub fans do put them on pedastals. Yes Theo did very well in BOS but never again i repeat never had to rebuild a team. He came to BOS where they had 90+ win team and he just had to find the missing piece and keep it together. Now if Cubs were ready to win and Theo was brought in i would be excited cause he has proven he can find that last piece and keep things going for extended period of time. Till he has proven he can rebuild a team i dont want to hear how great he is.
I think people tend to forget that Theo won 2 championships in Boston, not 1. Winning two in a 4-yr period is damn impressive. Yeah, he's overvalued by the most optimistic of fans, but what do you expect? He's proven that he can win.

Sorry but i had to laugh at this cause who cares if minor league teams are good. The team sucks and until some of those players prove they can do it in the MLB will keep sucking.
agreed.

Im not saying Sullivan is right about everything. I think he just saw how Cubs were compeitive under Hendry most years. Now he has to watch this awfull team day after day and there only hope that the team can be good in 3+ yrs.

The Cubs were competitive under Hendry for some years, not most....and this 'awful' team is largely a product of Henry (Soriano, Zambrano, Byrd, Dempster to a lesser extent) overspending. In 2 years, these contracts are ALL off the books. Hell, next year the Cubs will have money to spend...and I believe they will. I tend to think this team can compete for a WC spot as early as next season if the right pieces are brought in (McCann, Hamels, Upton/Hamilton, for example) then this team gets very formidable if Rizzo pans out like we think he will.)

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have to assume that certain free agents will actually be available to spend on. A lot of them are likely to get extensions and even if they don't they might decide to sign somewhere else regardless of money. You can't depend on free agents that much more than you can depend on prospects panning out. It is true that you have a larger sample size and a track record of success with free agent acquisitions but their production would still be future unknowns.

As for Paul Sullivan... :lol: Yeah, let's not go there.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And as far as the Marshall trade goes it is pretty dumb to evaluate it now when the Cubs got a 20 year old kid in the deal that we won't know for a while what we have in it. But if we have to evaluate it right this second:
Player A- Has thrown 16 innings and has a 4.50 ERA
Player B- Has thrown 11.2 innings and has a 3.86 ERA

You tell me who won that deal?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And as far as the Marshall trade goes it is pretty dumb to evaluate it now when the Cubs got a 20 year old kid in the deal that we won't know for a while what we have in it. But if we have to evaluate it right this second:
Player A- Has thrown 16 innings and has a 4.50 ERA
Player B- Has thrown 11.2 innings and has a 3.86 ERA

You tell me who won that deal?

really? :rolleyes:

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
#Cubs lineup vs #Pirates:

DeJesus rf, Castro ss, Mather 3b, Soriano lf, Baker 1b, Johnson cf, Barney 2b, Hill c, Garza p

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
#Cubs lineup vs #Pirates:

DeJesus rf, Castro ss, Mather 3b, Soriano lf, Baker 1b, Johnson cf, Barney 2b, Hill c, Garza p

assuming they facing a LH pitcher today. I still hate Campana been on bench for week now. So the guys who has .350+ OBP, 13 SB, and caused some havic on other teams has been riding the bench while Cubs cant score more then 1 or 2 runs.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

It is dumb to evaluate the trade right now was my first point, but if we have to evaluate the trade now Travis Wood has been better than Sean Marshall by just about every objective way of looking at things. That is likely to change, but as I've said it is dumb to declare one side the winner at this point.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is dumb to evaluate the trade right now was my first point, but if we have to evaluate the trade now Travis Wood has been better than Sean Marshall by just about every objective way of looking at things. That is likely to change, but as I've said it is dumb to declare one side the winner at this point.

yea its a bit to early to judge. Just seems so far nothing has worked out for Theo in any of his moves

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
yea its a bit to early to judge. Just seems so far nothing has worked out for Theo in any of his moves

Well again if we have to go by how things seem, I would take a decent fifth starter over a relief pitcher every day of the week. Right now Travis Wood seems like more than capable of being a fifth starter and the Cubs got extra pieces on top of it. That seems like a move that worked out for Theo. We will see.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Why do people think the Zambrano and Byrd deals were bad?

Zambrano quit on his team last year.

Byrd's OBP was lower than his weight.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
assuming they facing a LH pitcher today. I still hate Campana been on bench for week now. So the guys who has .350+ OBP, 13 SB, and caused some havic on other teams has been riding the bench while Cubs cant score more then 1 or 2 runs.

Yup...I wanna see Camp in the 9 spot occasionally actually....won't really be relied on to drive in runs, but could be on base for DeJesus and Castro

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another convert to batting Campana 9th. Ought to start a campaign for that.