Cubs @ Astros IGT

How many games do the Cubs win in Houston?

• Nada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Two

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Sweeeep!

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm just joshin ya....

I think Campana should be playing CF with Byrd in RF right now... leading off every damned game until the season ends with Castro in 2-slot.

However, the base clogging philosophy is the dumbest thing I've ever heard uttered out of any baseball guy's mouth. After I heard that interview... I began calling him Dust-for-brains. If you don't get guys on base... you don't score runs.... period. It's amazing at how the teams with the highest OBPs usually don't steal many bases... yet are always amongst the best in scoring runs.

Ideally you sit Byrd and play Campana in CF and Colvin in right. But if I had to choose, I want Colvin getting more PAs than Campy.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Ideally you sit Byrd and play Campana in CF and Colvin in right. But if I had to choose, I want Colvin getting more PAs than Campy.

I would agree with you... but Byrd's not going to sit. Just like there won't be a platoon with Soriano. Honestly, if I had my choice right now... I'd have this lineup for the rest of the season:

LF Campana -L
SS Castro -R
CF Jackson -L
3B ARam -R
1B LaHair -L
C Soto -R
RF Colvin -L
2B Barney -R

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

And on top of it... I think there's more fruit in developing Campana as a leadoff man than Colvin as a run producer right now... especially when you can get run producers on the Fa market this winter... but not many worthwhile leadoff men.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And on top of it... I think there's more fruit in developing Campana as a leadoff man than Colvin as a run producer right now... especially when you can get run producers on the Fa market this winter... but not many worthwhile leadoff men.

First off, that was a nice line up. Nice to see you don't have Quade syndrome.

Too lazy to switch tabs, but IIRC, Bourn is a FA this offseason. I wouldn't mind getting him on a one or two year deal.

While I agree that we should develop Campy as a leadoff man, we have Rudy J, the least most patient hitting coach in the history of baseball. Things aren't exactly looking good for Campy's career.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
First off, that was a nice line up. Nice to see you don't have Quade syndrome.

Too lazy to switch tabs, but IIRC, Bourn is a FA this offseason. I wouldn't mind getting him on a one or two year deal.

While I agree that we should develop Campy as a leadoff man, we have Rudy J, the least most patient hitting coach in the history of baseball. Things aren't exactly looking good for Campy's career.

2013 on Bourn.

When it comes to Jaramilo, every team he's ever gone to... they've walked more than previously. They've had a higher OBP as a team than previously. They've had a higher BA than previously. They've averaged more pitches per plate appearance than previously. This team is the first out of the Astros, Rangers, and Cubs to not do follow suit Even last year, the Cubs improved in walks, OBP, BA, and pitches per PA than the previous season.

At some point and time, you have to blame the players... not just the coaches. I also think it's an issue with the type of players the team has been drafting and developing. It seems like it's mostly the guys that have come up through the farm system (Castro, Barney, Colvin, Soto) that are the impatient ones... well, with Soriano. ARam, Pena, Fuki are all selective hitters for the most part... and Byrd is up and down in that regard.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
A Ram hitting first pitches isn't being selective. Soriano swinging at a ball in the dirt isn't being selective.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2013 on Bourn.

When it comes to Jaramilo, every team he's ever gone to... they've walked more than previously. They've had a higher OBP as a team than previously. They've had a higher BA than previously. They've averaged more pitches per plate appearance than previously. This team is the first out of the Astros, Rangers, and Cubs to not do follow suit Even last year, the Cubs improved in walks, OBP, BA, and pitches per PA than the previous season.

At some point and time, you have to blame the players... not just the coaches. I also think it's an issue with the type of players the team has been drafting and developing. It seems like it's mostly the guys that have come up through the farm system (Castro, Barney, Colvin, Soto) that are the impatient ones... well, with Soriano. ARam, Pena, Fuki are all selective hitters for the most part... and Byrd is up and down in that regard.

I don't know where you got your Rudy J information, but it's wrong. Between 09 & 10, the Cubs experiences a 12 point drop in OBP. That was the first thing I looked up, and that's gonna be the last. I do know that he is what his title says, a hitting coach. The Cubs need a batting coach, really.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Campana batting ninth, ftw!

Seriously though as useful as Tony Campana could be if he could hit, the odds of him doing it is virtually none. He strikes out too much, he walks too little and I probably have as much power as him. If he could get on base at a .330 rate, he could be a really useful player. But that is probably asking too much of him. Colvin has more potential to be a useful everyday player than Campana does, and Colvin's odds aren't really that good.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Campana batting ninth, ftw!

Seriously though as useful as Tony Campana could be if he could hit, the odds of him doing it is virtually none. He strikes out too much, he walks too little and I probably have as much power as him. If he could get on base at a .330 rate, he could be a really useful player. But that is probably asking too much of him. Colvin has more potential to be a useful everyday player than Campana does, and Colvin's odds aren't really that good.

A real line up that has Campana and Barney in it makes me want to puke. Too much sCRAP in one line up.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
A real line up that has Campana and Barney in it makes me want to puke. Too much sCRAP in one line up.

I agree that a lineup can only have so many low OBP/low SLG guys in a lineup to be decent. I don't mind Campana getting some starts here when the games are meaningless though just to see if he somehow might possibly even be able to get on at or above a .330 rate.