Cubs @ Astros IGT

How many games do the Cubs win in Houston?

• Nada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Two

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Sweeeep!

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Dews was asking how you would split the ABs between Colvin and Soriano.

Yeah I forgot Soto, but I don't want him to be a part of the Cubs going forward :shifty:

Ah you are probably right nwfisch. My thought was not a strict traditional platoon, but something like Soriano gets all the lefties/plus righties he has good history against and if he is hitting well (since he is a very streaky hitter). Basically I would look for the ABs to be about even between the two by the end of the year.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL at Soriano can hit, yeah for 2 weeks a season.

So you want the Cubs to avoid Colvin because he's a little impatient. :lol:

A player under team control until 2016 with 30 HR potential, the capability to hit 20 HR in 130 games, and you want the Cubs to part with him because he isn't patient enough? That's a joke, no one on this current Cubs team takes walks besides Pena at a high clip.

:pacman2:
:pacman:

I'm just saying that in the future, they need to avoid impatient hitters.

Sure, he has the *potential* to be a 30ish HR player, but Soriano has the *potential* to be a 7 WAR player. Doesn't mean it is going to happen. Colvin has shown me nothing to think that he can repeat his power numbers from last year. His ISO was through the roof. Really, how many chances do you want to give the guy?

I think Dews was asking how you would split the ABs between Colvin and Soriano.

Yeah I forgot Soto, but I don't want him to be a part of the Cubs going forward :shifty:

Why wouldn't you want to keep Soto? Who do you plan on replacing him with?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ah you are probably right nwfisch. My thought was not a strict traditional platoon, but something like Soriano gets all the lefties/plus righties he has good history against and if he is hitting well (since he is a very streaky hitter). Basically I would look for the ABs to be about even between the two by the end of the year.

You lost Quade at "Ah." No way he is that smart.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'm just saying that in the future, they need to avoid impatient hitters.

Sure, he has the *potential* to be a 30ish HR player, but Soriano has the *potential* to be a 7 WAR player. Doesn't mean it is going to happen. Colvin has shown me nothing to think that he can repeat his power numbers from last year. His ISO was through the roof. Really, how many chances do you want to give the guy?

Why wouldn't you want to keep Soto? Who do you plan on replacing him with?
The Cubs only gave Colvin about half a season of chances.

Soriano has no potential. He's done. Knees are gone completely.

Because Soto isn't a beast, and ends up on the DL every year at least once. He also is :turrible: in odd numbered years. He's alright in even numbered years, but the bad outweighs the good.

I'd replace him with Wellington Castillo for awhile.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Because Soto isn't a beast, and ends up on the DL every year at least once. He also is :turrible: in odd numbered years. He's alright in even numbered years, but the bad outweighs the good.

If you are disappointed in the offense Soto provides, I think you are going to pretty unhappy with Castillo. Enjoy what Soto provides when he is under team control for the next couple of seasons, and have a manager that is willing to play Castillo if and when Soto goes to the DL. The grass isn't always greener.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

400 PAs is a very nice opportunity for Colvin.

If you think Soto is terrible now, Castillo will make you shit. He's not very good. His minors OBP is .325. He's never really been above .330 at any level. Soto on the other hand, well is pretty good at getting on base. The odd years are lower, but they are still better than Castillo.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
400 PAs is a very nice opportunity for Colvin.

If you think Soto is terrible now, Castillo will make you shit. He's not very good. His minors OBP is .325. He's never really been above .330 at any level. Soto on the other hand, well is pretty good at getting on base. The odd years are lower, but they are still better than Castillo.
OK Soto can get on base, and has a grand total of 1 SB. 1 SB. What good does it do to get on base via walk, if you can't steal or run fast?

Castillo hasn't gotten a chance yet, though he did get 44 PA in the majors, so I guess that means the Cubs should pass on him :lol:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK Soto can get on base, and has a grand total of 1 SB. 1 SB. What good does it do to get on base via walk, if you can't steal or run fast?

Castillo hasn't gotten a chance yet, though he did get 44 PA in the majors, so I guess that means the Cubs should pass on him :lol:

Um, what? you can't be serious. SBs? HE IS A CATCHER. getting on base = runs. doesn't take that much common sense to figure that one out. But I guess you don't want him to be clogging the bases, do ya dusty?

So now everyone deserves a chance? Jesus Christ.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
soto is probably the best option out there. He is fat, he sucks, and fans live in the past with him, oh and he likes the DL....but with that said there aint shit out there.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is that you Dusty? You really telling me that you have a problem with clogging the bases, and ignoring the fact that Soto also has a fair bit of power.

You are right that Castillo hasn't gotten a chance yet, but how about these numbers as a comparison. This is Castillo's slash line at age 24 in AAA .301/.364/.560. In twice as many ABs Soto put up this at age 24 in AAA .353/.424/.652. Does that mean that Castillo sucks or that he couldn't be useful? No we won't know that until he gets playing time, but to think that he is likely to outhit Soto isn't supported by any evidence.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

Dusty.... is that you?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Um, what? you can't be serious. SBs? HE IS A CATCHER. getting on base = runs. doesn't take that much common sense to figure that one out. But I guess you don't want him to be clogging the bases, do ya dusty?

So now everyone deserves a chance? Jesus Christ.
I wouldn't want him clogging the bases for Tony Campana leading off :smug:

Obviously
I give you a chance, but you still fail to impress. :elephant:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Next he'll be saying that white dudes can't play in the sun... and black dudes should be in the clubhouse when it's cold.
LMAO

I'm the biggest Tony Campana supporter here.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't want him clogging the bases for Tony Campana leading off :smug:

Obviously
I give you a chance, but you still fail to impress. :elephant:

Problem... if Campana is leading off... and comes to the plate with Soto on... then Soto had better be on 2nd or 3rd... or there's 2 outs. Either way... it's not an issue to be worried about clogging the bases to begin with.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
LMAO

I'm the biggest Tony Campana supporter here.

I'm just joshin ya....

I think Campana should be playing CF with Byrd in RF right now... leading off every damned game until the season ends with Castro in 2-slot.

However, the base clogging philosophy is the dumbest thing I've ever heard uttered out of any baseball guy's mouth. After I heard that interview... I began calling him Dust-for-brains. If you don't get guys on base... you don't score runs.... period. It's amazing at how the teams with the highest OBPs usually don't steal many bases... yet are always amongst the best in scoring runs.