Cubs offseason needs/ Talk

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Only guy I would be on board with is Swanson. Best glove.

Before the cray cray starts.

Swanson has a Def ahead of Lindor. 21 vs 16. Not even close. fWAR both are 6-7.

So we are talking the best SS on the market. Rest are just name value.

That pushes Hoerner over to 2B and at that point the Cubs can act agressivly on trading for a established 3B.

If that is the plan I am on board with it.

But buying a name is just hot air and only guarantee's a increase in payroll
I am certainly not suggesting spending on a "name". But you have Madrigal and Morle platooning and don't think the top 4 SS are better than that? C'mon!

Of course the asking price will matter. We're not going to pay $40M for a guy. But the Cubs will have a ton of money, and a lot of prospects coming soon who aren't expensive. You can't sit out this offseason and simply "wait a year". These guys aren't signing one year deals.

I am never in favor of spending on the wrong guy just to say you spent. But more than ever the Cubs need to show fans they're serious about this and need to do something more than Jonathan Villar.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am certainly not suggesting spending on a "name". But you have Madrigal and Morle platooning and don't think the top 4 SS are better than that? C'mon!

Of course the asking price will matter. We're not going to pay $40M for a guy. But the Cubs will have a ton of money, and a lot of prospects coming soon who aren't expensive. You can't sit out this offseason and simply "wait a year". These guys aren't signing one year deals.

I am never in favor of spending on the wrong guy just to say you spent. But more than ever the Cubs need to show fans they're serious about this and need to do something more than Jonathan Villar.
Madrigal is still a guy that interests me. With as much time as he missed last year, it was still the most AB's he's gotten in his 3 year career. I'd like to see what he could do with about 500 AB's, seems like a decent contact hitter and was .300 plus with the Sox before he got here.

What is the deal with the White Sox and injured players?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Only guy I would be on board with is Swanson. Best glove

Basic scenario:

Cubs sign Swanson I'm not guessing on prices here.
Move Hoerner to 2B.
Trade For Ke'Bryan Heyes. Cubs have control for 5 years. Really not getting into what they have to trade away.

That puts the Cubs infield into the top in D value.

Then bring up Davis (CF) and Mervis (1B)

Now Cubs most likely will lose Caissie and Ed Howard in that trade. Maybe a pitcher or Canario. Pit is always looking at reducing over head.

DH rotate Velazquez and Morel giving days off as needed.

then 2024 PCA comes up. Davis moves to LF. Happ moves on. or resigns as a DH. Never know at that point.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Basic scenario:

Cubs sign Swanson I'm not guessing on prices here.
Move Hoerner to 2B.
Trade For Ke'Bryan Heyes. Cubs have control for 5 years. Really not getting into what they have to trade away.

That puts the Cubs infield into the top in D value.

Then bring up Davis (CF) and Mervis (1B)

Now Cubs most likely will lose Caissie and Ed Howard in that trade. Maybe a pitcher or Canario. Pit is always looking at reducing over head.

DH rotate Velazquez and Morel giving days off as needed.

then 2024 PCA comes up. Davis moves to LF. Happ moves on. or resigns as a DH. Never know at that point.
What? Hayes is a top 3rd baseman moving forward and probably the second best glove in the league behind Arrenado. The Pirates arent trading him

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What? Hayes is a top 3rd baseman moving forward and probably the second best glove in the league behind Arrenado. The Pirates arent trading him
This might just be his worst scenario yet. They just extended Hayes a few months ago till 2030 and if he does anything at all with his bat to go along with his D.... he's a steal at $10 mil or so a year. Even the Pirates are not stupid enough to trade that away

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Depends on the return. Pirates have made questionable moves. Cole, Glass now and Tailon. Their track record is trade away.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Prospects of the year Cubs:

Matt Mervis, 1B (No. 21): A 2020 nondrafted free agent from Duke, Mervis shook off a rough pro debut last year to bat .309/.379/.605 with 36 homers in 137 games while advancing from High-A to Triple-A. He led the Minors with 78 extra-base hits, 310 total bases and 119 RBIs while also ranking second in doubles (40), third in homers, fifth in slugging and eighth in OPS (.984).

Luis Devers, RHP (No. 26): Signed for just $30,000 out of the Dominican Republic in 2017, Devers used his deceptive changeup to break out this year, ranking second in the Minors in ERA (1.91), third in wins (13) and seventh in WHIP (0.95) while striking out 122 in 117 2/3 innings between Single-A and High-A.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Pitching.

With injuries being as frequent as they are now, pitching.

It’s time to see what Davis has in the bigs.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

@TL1961 is dancing in the street......Cards eliminated in 2 games, both in St. Louis.​

Oooooh, the pain. LOL
After they exited in two games, I won't say much for a while. But eventually......

I still contend a best-of-three series is unfair to MLB teams after a 162 game season, especially when they win their division, but I will keep that to myself. I won't send any sympathy cards.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
After they exited in two games, I won't say much for a while. But eventually......

I still contend a best-of-three series is unfair to MLB teams after a 162 game season, especially when they win their division, but I will keep that to myself. I won't send any sympathy cards.
It's getting colder earlier than ever.....unless they cut down the 162(that will never happen) they could be playing the WS at Thanksgiving if they extend it to 7 games. Besides....losing both games at home....they got what they deserve.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well they have to keep shortening the series because they keep adding teams to the playoffs which is the wrong way to go but is unquestionably here to stay.

I don’t feel sorry for them in the least. If you could take your pick of all the teams in the playoffs to match up against I have to believe Philadelphia is the team everyone would pick. They have to be the worst team in the postseason.

Hell, the Cubs just swept Philly.

And won more October games than the cards. ?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well they have to keep shortening the series because they keep adding teams to the playoffs which is the wrong way to go but is unquestionably here to stay.

I don’t feel sorry for them in the least. If you could take your pick of all the teams in the playoffs to match up against I have to believe Philadelphia is the team everyone would pick. They have to be the worst team in the postseason.

Hell, the Cubs just swept Philly.

And won more October games than the cards. ?
I would've bet the bank anyone in this division would be the one of the first eliminated.....once Hader was gone, it was the Cards and 4 shit teams. The Cards schedule was even softer than the White Sox. Next year's balanced schedule will speak volumes.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Contreras offered a qualifying offer.
Happ and Hoerner in negotiations for extensions.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Smyly also recieving extension negotiations.

This is not a bad plan of action. If Smyly resigns then the rotation becomes Stroman, Smyly, Hendricks, Steele, Wesneski. Thompson and Alzolay head to late inning work.

Then Happ at LF for a few years. This is also a solid plan. Provides stability for the OF. Suzuki has been injured off and on so they really need a post in the OF while youth filters in

CSF77

Liked Posts:

So MLBTR also posted this. Mervis and him at the DH/1B pivot. I am down with this notion.