Cubs offseason rumors/transactions

chibears55

Liked Posts:
edit: nevermind found the source i was asking for myself :D
If this was for me..
Sorry.. didnt have anything to copy and paste..

Was reading tweets from cubs writers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If this was for me..
Sorry.. didnt have anything to copy and paste..

Was reading tweets from cubs writers

Oh no worries. I literally posted asking where you saw that then went to bleachernation and they already had the story up haha. Just was curious who the person contradicting USA today was. And yeah i definitely trust jesse rodgers more.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
One thing that bugs me about MLB FA ..
Unlike NFL and NBA where signings are almost immediate, nothing really happens for a month or so after it starts in MLB..

You got the GM meeting then the winter meeting in December before action starts to heat up and deals are made...

Just wish we didnt have to wait so long sometimes to get some action..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
One thing that bugs me about MLB FA ..
Unlike NFL and NBA where signings are almost immediate, nothing really happens for a month or so after it starts in MLB..

You got the GM meeting then the winter meeting in December before action starts to heat up and deals are made...

Just wish we didnt have to wait so long sometimes to get some action..

Well NFL at least you still wait like a month til FA starts. I have less issue with the wait post WS to winter meetings than I do the wail from January to spring training. That kills me.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well NFL at least you still wait like a month til FA starts. I have less issue with the wait post WS to winter meetings than I do the wail from January to spring training. That kills me.

Used to follow the Bulls then. That team is unwatchable now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Couple things i just read...

Despite reports earlier, cubs will not be over the 195 mil luxery tax..
So..that good

According to Epstein , their in final steps and close to hiring a 1B/OF coach...

Cubs have interest in acquiring Britton from Orioles..

Plus

Because there little options at closers, they may still look to resigning Davis

Think I would rather resign Wade than Britton. Unless it was for Clifton or Underwood strait then that would be nice.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Think I would rather resign Wade than Britton. Unless it was for Clifton or Underwood strait then that would be nice.
I actually think Britton just a in case plan A B C dont work out

I hope Davis is plan A and he returns..

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Now maybe I'm wrong and they will just eat the luxury tax again. My obvious presumption here is they wont just do that. But if I'm right moving Cueto seems to be their best play. And I'm just not seeing teams jumping to eat his deal.

If getting a spec or two in the top 100 is called "jumping" then we disagree strongly with each other

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I actually think Britton just a in case plan A B C dont work out

I hope Davis is plan A and he returns..

It depends on what they end up taking on in Arb cases. I’m expecting them getting close to the lux tax again but not to the point where they lose flexibility to be able to absorb Bryant’s pay increases.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Patrick Mooney writes that “Theo Epstein’s front office sounds willing to make big changes that would shake up this team” this week at the GM meetings in Orlando. Oh my. And while no specific and/or new rumors emerge from the post, Mooney does include a few notable bit. Mainly, that the truly untouchables remain Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant, and Willson Contreras, and that the Cubs are*most likely*not ready to break up the Addison Russell and Javy Baez double-play combo.From there,*Mooney extrapolatesthat Ian Happ, Kyle Schwarber, and Albert Almora, although all front-office favorites, can reasonably be considered the guys the Cubs would be willing to dangle.*I think we always knew this on some level, but now it’s been written down, so to speak.At CBS Chicago, Bruce Levine mostly echoes that sentiment, noting that Alex Cobb, Brandon Morrow, and Jake McGee are the names who’ve already been attached to the Cubs this winter.

Ive been saying...
Schwarber could be gone this off season...
Doesn't matter how much they love the guy, if the right deal comes up theyll trade him...

I also said it wouldnt surprise me if they have a couple new position players at start of season...

I really dont know why he feels the team needs to be shaken up. Really felt the team was far too laid back last year and that all starts with Maddon always taking the attitude that everything is going to be ok. Sometimes it is necessary to do a little more.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It worked the year before.

I see it as Edwards was a non factor. Bryant was in a slump. The D was not playing at a record pace.

So to blame Joe? Not really. All he can do is put in the pieces that he feels will succeed.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Couple things i just read...

Despite reports earlier, cubs will not be over the 195 mil luxery tax..
So..that good

According to Epstein , their in final steps and close to hiring a 1B/OF coach...

Cubs have interest in acquiring Britton from Orioles..

Plus

Because there little options at closers, they may still look to resigning Davis

It's simply going to be too much money for Davis or Holland DAvis could top $70 mil with Holland not far behind. Clearly the plan was Davis as a bridge to Edwards and he's not ready yet, if he ever will be. The best plan would be to get Britton to buy time and see if you can do the converted starter thing for a guy this year in a set up role and next year as closer.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It's simply going to be too much money for Davis or Holland DAvis could top $70 mil with Holland not far behind. Clearly the plan was Davis as a bridge to Edwards and he's not ready yet, if he ever will be. The best plan would be to get Britton to buy time and see if you can do the converted starter thing for a guy this year in a set up role and next year as closer.

I wonder what the cost of Britton is going to be

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

The plan was to get Wilson and buy time to see if we could do that. Wilson was probably as effective as Britton when they got him since he had 13 saves in 42 appearances at that point and Britton had 15 in 38 appearances.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
It worked the year before.

I see it as Edwards was a non factor. Bryant was in a slump. The D was not playing at a record pace.

So to blame Joe? Not really. All he can do is put in the pieces that he feels will succeed.

Right, it worked the year before, you need to adapt and adjust to what works. Its not always going to be sunshine and roses. If you follow the hawks at all, this is the kind of coaching shake up that was given to a hall of famer in Q to send a message that it was not good enough. Now Theo is talking about what should be the lineup for the next 5 years and making deals?

We can see that Heyward cannot handle pressure, but one time leading off for a "contact" guy with speed? Eventually there comes a time where someone needs to say its not good enough. He stuck far too long with Schwarber at leadoff and is ultimately the guy to blame for all the shortcomings of this team and their inability to adjust to simple little league mentality of hit it where they ain't. When it came time to send a message, his only way is getting an early shower.

It clearly did not work this year, they got lucky the central sucked or they might have missed the playoffs all together.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I wonder what the cost of Britton is going to be

They were speculating on MLB Radio this morning that a team's 5th and 9th prospect would get it done as that was essentially what Houston had offered in July. So something like Lange and Clifton? I'd do that.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The plan was to get Wilson and buy time to see if we could do that. Wilson was probably as effective as Britton when they got him since he had 13 saves in 42 appearances at that point and Britton had 15 in 38 appearances.

Wilson was plan B. Edwards was plan A. Britton is probably plan C.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
They were speculating on MLB Radio this morning that a team's 5th and 9th prospect would get it done as that was essentially what Houston had offered in July. So something like Lange and Clifton? I'd do that.

Which if that was the call, Houston's 5th and 9th is like the Cubs what, 1st and 2nd? Not to be mean, but the Cubs are a bottom 5-10 farm right now and Houston is a top rated farm.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Which if that was the call, Houston's 5th and 9th is like the Cubs what, 1st and 2nd? Not to be mean, but the Cubs are a bottom 5-10 farm right now and Houston is a top rated farm.

I don't disagree but it's three month less of Britton and he has risk attached. You're not giving up one of the top 3 pitchers for him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I wouldnt complain but it be nice if they didn't have to keep giving up prospects for 1 yr relievers..