Cub's Prospect Watch And Development Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Guessing Olt, Lake, Beeler, Rosscup, Rusin, Schlitter, Straily, Vizcaino are options. Viz they most likely will shut down.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Guessing Olt, Lake, Beeler, Rosscup, Rusin, Schlitter, Straily, Vizcaino are options. Viz they most likely will shut down.

I don't need to see Rosscup again any time soon.

I didn't think I would be saying this two months ago, but I want to see Olt get some playing time. Has he figured something out, or was it simply AAA pitching that was to credit for his production since being sent down?

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I didn't think I would be saying this two months ago, but I want to see Olt get some playing time. Has he figured something out, or was it simply AAA pitching that was to credit for his production since being sent down?
Agree with Olt, have to see what he can do even if it just against lefties. Thing is itll be hard sitting Valbuena who swinging a hot bat.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
"Hey, rosters expanded, so we've got a guy up here who wasn't good enough yesterday. A guy who has failed all year. let's use HIM instead of the pitchers who have been successful for us!"

WTF??

Same thing every year in Sept. They pitch guys who couldn't make the club the week before. I realize you want to see what some guys can do But they have seen Parker several times already this year, and he hasn't been good.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Effing Cardinals just tied Pirates 4-4. Damn!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Solving Javy, simplified: Tell him he gets fined if he hits a HR.

When he comes up, I don't want to see a strikeout, but often I find myself hoping for no HR as well. A line drive to the right center field gap would be the best that could happen for him.

Here we go....bets, anyone?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Too simplistic. What he needs to learn is how to stop his swing. He just needs to stop getting beat on strike 3 by head high fastballs clearly up and out of the zone.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Too simplistic. What he needs to learn is how to stop his swing. He just needs to stop getting beat on strike 3 by head high fastballs clearly up and out of the zone.

Yeah, another simplistic approach would be to say "Javy, major league hitters don't sawing from their knees."

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yeah, another simplistic approach would be to say "Javy, major league hitters don't sawing from their knees."
Reggie says "hello!" :D

reggie-jackson.jpg

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Those guys are on the 40 man. Don't expect any non 40 man added.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kris Bryant is the home run king of the minors this year. He hit 43 to top Joey Gallo by 1.

43 homers and 110 RBI's in his first full year of pro ball.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Kris Bryant is the home run king of the minors this year. He hit 43 to top Joey Gallo by 1.

43 homers and 110 RBI's in his first full year of pro ball.

And yet the man can't find a sept call-up. Sad.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
And yet the man can't find a sept call-up. Sad.

At this point there's not real reason to call him up. If they were to have done it they should have done it when they called Alcantara up.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
At this point there's not real reason to call him up. If they were to have done it they should have done it when they called Alcantara up.

The reason would be three fold.
1. MLB Experience
2. Nothing to Learn in AAA
3. Season in AA is over, helps him adjust further to playing longer

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@ESPNChicago: RP Vizcaino among seven called up by Cubs es.pn/1ugTFP7

Interested in seeing how Vizcaino does , have to think he at the door to go north out of ST as long as he dont shit the bed this month or in ST

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The reason would be three fold.
1. MLB Experience
2. Nothing to Learn in AAA
3. Season in AA is over, helps him adjust further to playing longer

The assumption being that playing longer is "better" for someone who also played in the AFL plus a full minor season. As for MLB experience, I doubt it's enough to significantly matter. As for nothing to learn, there's plenty to learn when you're still striking out at a 25%+ clip. I don't think Bryant will be as exposed as Baez has been but the point shouldn't be overlooked that the last big prospect the cubs had at that K rate is currently striking out at a 40%+ clip in the majors.

Don't get me wrong, I thought he was polished enough to skip AAA and frankly, I'm not sure that AAA really did much for him. Just saying at this point it's kind of starting a service clock for no real reason.If you're going to do that you may as well get a legit lengthy look at the player hence my suggestion of Alcantara's call up.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its good to give him some rest as well. He played college ball then for the Cubs then for the AFL and then a whole minor league season. That is a lot of ball to play. That has part to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.