Cubs Rumor Mill: On to the waiver wire

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
which BP arms do you actually care about though?

Cabrera is probably the one I care the most about, but it does this team no good if anyone but Shawn Camp's arm fell off. Marmol needs to be healthy to get moved at the end of the year, and the rest of the guys are cost controlled options that would be nice to be useful.

Look I would care if we had real pitching that a Lowe acquistion would block, but since he isn't I don't care if he actually eats some innings so Russell's or others arms don't wear out in this meaningless season.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
ah that's fine, would kinda be cool if you were one of my history teachers lol, but my high school has a rather large faculty, Carl Sandburg out in Orland Park

Yeah I am familar with the school though never went there or worked there. I live well outside of the Chicagoland area.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they were to sign Lowe after he's released then it's just league minimum right? I'd probably give it a shot.

ZDemp34

That One Guy
Liked Posts:
Lowe can't be worse than our current 4th and 5th guys, right? :lol:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let’s try to make this the final Ryan Dempster post until the off-season. As when the off-season hits, we know we’re going to hear “will Ryan Dempster return to Chicago?”. Dempster said “Chicago has always been my kind of town” and that’s saying there is a possibility Dempster could return after the season. I doubt the the Texas Rangers will offer compensation to Dempster, since it’s has to be in the 13-13.5 million range. Dempster would probably accept it as he won’t get that much in free agency.

Dempster may regret the decision to decline a trade to the Atlanta Braves after he game up 8 runs for the Rangers yesterday. Dempster did not give up more than 7 runs in all of June and July. The Cubs and Dempster would have been happy. However, one of the players the Cubs got for Dempster, Christian Villanueva hit 2 home runs in his first 2 at-bats in his Cubs debut.

Dempster put out a full page article in the Chicago Tribune and you can see it here

Okay, that is all of Dempster for now… Here’s news on the waiver period:

Usually every player go on waivers to see if a team claims them, does not get blocked and see if they can slip through waivers.

The Cubs will try and put Matt Garza, Brian LaHair Jeff Baker on waivers and hope they go unclaimed or a team wins the waiver that actually want hm. However, since these 3 players are cheap, a team will likely block the waiver and the Cubs won’t be able to deal them.

There are 2 Cubs that will probably go un-claimed in waivers. Since there contract is too big and if a team claims them, they will have to pay the whole contract.

Alfonso Soriano: The Detroit Tigers were reportedly working on a deal for Soriano, but both teams could not reach a deal. Soriano gave the Cubs a list of teams who he would accept a trade too. To me, since both teams were working on a deal together, he would accept a trade to the Tigers. He would have also accept a trade to the Los Angeles Dodgers, but that went out the door when the Dodgers acquired OF Shane Victorino. Also, Soriano reportedly rejected a trade to the Pittsburgh Pirates and the San Francisco Giants.

Carlos Marmol: He is owe too much money and a team will not take that on. He is owe 12.4 million and is a free agent after next season. He has not blown a save in a while and I think a team will take a chance on him if money is coming their way. One team that may want to take a chance on Marmol is the Giants. The Giants need bullpen help and he will help them out.

Jed Hoyer said “we will continue to be active in August”. So, I guess we will find out if they’re active or not.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/08/03/the-waiver-wire-and-more-ryan-dempster/

ZDemp34

That One Guy
Liked Posts:
Johnny Damon was just DFA'd by the Indians. He seems like he could be another placeholder if both Soriano and LaHair go.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Johnny Damon was just DFA'd by the Indians. He seems like he could be another placeholder if both Soriano and LaHair go.

Or they could just promote Dave Sappelt or Brett Jackson.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dodgers picked up Joe Blanton apparently. Told you guys that the Dodgers needed an arm, and they thought the Cubs would cave and give them Demp for crap.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dodgers picked up Joe Blanton apparently. Told you guys that the Dodgers needed an arm, and they thought the Cubs would cave and give them Demp for crap.

what kind of cookies do you like? :troll:

Sent from my USCfans guide to being an uneducated baseball fan using Tapatalk

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
This whole they didn't need Dempster thing was bullshit from the get go. They needed a starter, but they thought Dempster would force the Cubs FO to cave on their lowball offer. Instead they got stuck with Joe Blanton. Perhaps I shouldn't be as happy about that as I am, but sour grapes and all.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Dodgers apparently claimed Cliff Lee off of waivers. What makes Colletti think he can land Lee? He barely had the prospects to land Dempster and screwed the pooch there. He certainly doesn't have the specs to land Lee. Maybe he's claiming anyone and everyone in order to make sure that other teams don't improve at this point.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/cliff-lee-claimed-on-waivers.html

Today I learned that players can have provisions in their contracts the block trades AND claims. I thought a claim was a claim, but this is good to know.

Well, most waiver claims are revocable. So, if Team A places Player Y on the wire and Team B claims him, if Player Y has 10-5 rights or a NTC, he can veto the move and force Team A to pull him off of waivers. If this happens, he cannot be placed on waivers again until the off season. Reason being, if a player is pulled back from the wire and put back on waivers... a second claim is irrevocable.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am glad to have learned something new today.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carafado is saying that the Cubs are not interested in Lowe. I really would like to see Brooks Raley get a few turns in the rotation before the end of the year.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he clears waivers and that's a big IF. A team will most likely block him, but I hope it's the D'backs. They have interest in Garza and may be a good bet to claim him.

I don't see the Phills, Padres, Rockies, Astros, Brewers, Mets, and Marlins claiming him. I know they can just block him, but I would be surprise. There is really no need and the D'backs are next up to win the bid. Their only 3 games out and need a SP. S, that really would not surprise me. So, I guess we'll see.