Cubs Rumor Mill: On to the waiver wire

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gordon Wittenmeyer is reporting that Jeff Baker has been traded to Detroit. No word on return, but they could give us back what we gave up for him (Al Alburque).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Return is 2 PTBNL. Guessing waldo beats me to it.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
PTBNL is going to be a HOFer.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
If he clears waivers and that's a big IF. A team will most likely block him, but I hope it's the D'backs. They have interest in Garza and may be a good bet to claim him.

I don't see the Phills, Padres, Rockies, Astros, Brewers, Mets, and Marlins claiming him. I know they can just block him, but I would be surprise. There is really no need and the D'backs are next up to win the bid. Their only 3 games out and need a SP. S, that really would not surprise me. So, I guess we'll see.

The DBacks were also working on a last second trade for him at the deadline as well. I don't think Garza gets too far into the waiver process... but I'd waive him just to see what I might be able to get back. If it's a crap trade, then pull him off of waivers and try again in the winter.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah every player goes on waivers and if he falls into the D'backs and Dodgers hands, it may be good. I bet both teams will put in a claim for him. I think the D'backs/Cubs started the Garza trade talks too late and didn't have much time to work on a deal. Also, he hasn't pitch too, so if he pitched good now, maybe...

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the odds of a Soriano trade keeps going up. Especially if the Cubs pay most of his contract. The Cubs are not gunna get a lot for him; however, they may get a better off than we would expect. I still have to go with the Rays as the best suitor. They are in the race, need offense (LF), his salary won't be a problem and they could offer a player or 2 that the Cubs can't decline. Finally, I bet Fonzie will accept a trade to the Rays and back to the AL East.

If Fonzie is dealt, look for Jackson to play about everyday and Sappelt to get the call.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I think the odds of a Soriano trade keeps going up. Especially if the Cubs pay most of his contract. The Cubs are not gunna get a lot for him; however, they may get a better off than we would expect. I still have to go with the Rays as the best suitor. They are in the race, need offense (LF), his salary won't be a problem and they could offer a player or 2 that the Cubs can't decline. Finally, I bet Fonzie will accept a trade to the Rays and back to the AL East.

If Fonzie is dealt, look for Jackson to play about everyday and Sappelt to get the call.

I would miss Soriano. Especially with JacKson up there whiffing like he's swinging a broomstick. The Cubs are going to be junk for too long, with no hope in the future.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Soriano is not here for the future, so him leaving wouldn't matter.

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
True. But as for right now he and Castro are pretty much our offense. I think a full year of Rizzo would have about the same numbers or better than Soriano. But we need more than 1 guy. I just can't wait for this "rebuild" phase to be over.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Soriano is not here for the future, so him leaving wouldn't matter.

Protection for Rizzo! We saw what happened to LaHair when he lost Soriano's protection. He fell apart as teams pitched around him due to no one else in the lineup being a threat. We trade Soriano, and Rizzo loses that protection. You'll see every pitcher in the game pitching around Castro and Rizzo, knowing there's nothing to fear coming up behind them.

So yes, his leaving would absolutely matter.

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;EaVLq0Xwj3U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaVLq0Xwj3U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaVLq0Xwj3U[/video]