Cubs sign draft pick Kris Bryant (For slot according to Sullivan)

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Did I say that or are you just trolling? Castro has hit for 200 hits once and hasn't hit over 14 homers. What are you not getting? Corner positions in baseball are power positions. Castro doesn't has not shown that kind of power. His value is higher because he plays short. You move him to a corner OF spot. He becomes average at best corner OF because OPS would not compare to most. Maybe we should have a left handed catcher as well. It makes about as much sense.
He's 23. It's highly likely his power numbers go up, if his first couple of years were the norm. If they weren't and he continues the slide, there isn't any place to put him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
For whatever reason you and many others place hitters on the field based upon what they can or cannot do at the plate. Jim Edmonds shouldn't have been in CF based upon the pop in his bat. I want the best defense behind my pitchers. For me if that means a 200+ hit guy with 15-20 HR per year takes Soriano's place in LF when the time comes, I'm doing it.
No I am saying that he is considerable less valuable if he has to play a corner spot. That is because it is easier to find guys to play those positions and hence why they tend to have much higher production at the up the middle spots. Castro's career numbers are above average right now for a SS or a CF but if he moves to any corner spot he becomes a below average offensive player very quickly. If the Cubs can get enough plus defenders and bats to play up the middle to force Castro to the corner great, but the odds of finding enough of those players is pretty remote given their scarcity.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No I am saying that he is considerable less valuable if he has to play a corner spot. That is because it is easier to find guys to play those positions and hence why they tend to have much higher production at the up the middle spots. Castro's career numbers are above average right now for a SS or a CF but if he moves to any corner spot he becomes a below average offensive player very quickly. If the Cubs can get enough plus defenders and bats to play up the middle to force Castro to the corner great, but the odds of finding enough of those players is pretty remote given their scarcity.
As of this time on this date, this season by OPS, #10 LF Smith .750, CF Crisp, .765, RF Pence .768. Castro's first 3 seasons .755, .773, .753. Is he really that far off for LF or is a #10 in OPS at LF not worth his contract in the next few years? Sorry if this hijacks this particular thread. I know it's supposed to be about Bryant.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Personally I would sell high on him because some GM will over value his worth. Looking at the potential power core of Bryant, Baez, Soler and Rizzo it is swayed to the RH side. Baez at SS would be a boon to the team (if he gets his D under control). If not his bat would project fine in LF. He has that type of impact that you lose nothing by moving him to a less D required spot. Ideal situation to be in is Baez gets it under control at SS. They deal out Castro for a plus arm and they sign a SLG LH bat to play LF. That puts 5 potential .500 SLG in the every day line up with no DH. That makes for some high run production.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
As of this time on this date, this season by OPS, #10 LF Smith .750, CF Crisp, .765, RF Pence .768. Castro's first 3 seasons .755, .773, .753. Is he really that far off for LF or is a #10 in OPS at LF not worth his contract in the next few years? Sorry if this hijacks this particular thread. I know it's supposed to be about Bryant.

This is the average productiont his year based on position:
1B-776
RF-759
3B-744
LF-744
CF-727
2B-714
C-709
SS-674

The reason Castro is valuable is the huge difference his OPS (career number wise because my god I wouldn't want to see what happens if I didn't qualify that) and the average production at the up the middle spots. His bat might be average for those spots after all, but that is hardly an ideal situation for the team.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This is the average productiont his year based on position:
1B-776
RF-759
3B-744
LF-744
CF-727
2B-714
C-709
SS-674

The reason Castro is valuable is the huge difference his OPS (career number wise because my god I wouldn't want to see what happens if I didn't qualify that) and the average production at the up the middle spots. His bat might be average for those spots after all, but that is hardly an ideal situation for the team.
Right, but in that situation, I'd rather dance with the devil I know than the one I don't.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
As to Bryant now being signed and in the farm system, what happens to Vitters at this point?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
As to Bryant now being signed and in the farm system, what happens to Vitters at this point?

Maybe they can convert him to a pitcher -- Or maybe he could play left tackle for the Bears :lol:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
3B, 1B, LF and RF have traditionally been the 3-6 hitters and supply the run support. 2B, SS, CF and C have been stronger D. Better OBA's hit 1/2 weaker hitters 7-8. Now if you can get a decent OPS out of an up the middle type you are doing pretty good. Like Jim Edwards. Glove came first but still had a 3-6 bat. Castro is OVERRATED. his D is lacking and he has never been a .380 OBA type. Way OVERHYPED and it shows a utter lack of knowlege of the game to over value what 200 hits bring to the team. That is why you look at SLG to see if said hitter could become an potential RBI machine or OBA if he is suited as a 1/2 hitter. Right now he is a #7 hitter on a contender and a liability at SS while lacking power to move to a corner spot. He needs to step up. Baez is looking like the future not Castro.

Castro is a very good young player. The problem is he was considered God so quick. You know why people think he is trash because Mike Trout and Bryce Harper. They are phenomenal so fans expect their minor leaguers to be the same.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Vitters can play in the majors just not the special player they thought he was. He can play a couple different position and could provide a decent bat off the bench.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Castro is a very good young player. The problem is he was considered God so quick. You know why people think he is trash because Mike Trout and Bryce Harper. They are phenomenal so fans expect their minor leaguers to be the same.

I don't expect him to be the best player in baseball.

I have been happy with him for the first year and a half. But if this guy doesn't get his head out if his arse, he won't be an asset. He is going to pile up a lot of hits, but he darn well better start paying attention and stop playing SS like he doesn't care.

I am FAR from giving up on him. But somebody better get his attention. Soon.