Cubs sign draft pick Kris Bryant (For slot according to Sullivan)

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So what do you do once his defensive stats indicate he isn't MIF? He's gotta go somewhere provided he returns to form.

Shit, at that point, I'd trade him :lol:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro will always be an up the middle player. Short, second, or center. I got a feeling he will be on short for a good while.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also believe Alcantara would move him off of short before Baez does.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Why not move Castro to a corner OF when the time comes?

I think castro would be a perfect CFer.. Alcantara or baez will move castro off of short because of the power potential they have for that position. so when their ready is when i can see castro either being trade bait or moved to CF, although i think the cubs are going to go all out for Jacoby Ellsbury this off season.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alcantara was already moved to 2B

He was moved to keep Baez there, but if he went to AAA would be back at short. He hasn't been moved for good. The Cubs have to keep Baez at short because he is the bigger prospect but Alcantara is the more legit SS prospect.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro will always be an up the middle player. Short, second, or center. I got a feeling he will be on short for a good while.

Exactly I think a move to center is the most likely destination for Castro if he ever does move off of SS.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Why would Castro move to CF as opposed to corner?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would Castro move to CF as opposed to corner?
Because he is athletic enough to play center, and his bat plays up at that position (assuming return to career averages) being well below average in any corner spot.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
dont know if anyone else caught it but buck and mccarver talked about castro possibly moving to CF with the SS talent the cubs have in their system

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Putting Castro in CF would make Soriano look like Barry Bonds defensively in LF.

Castro has the athletic ability to play the position but not the mental makeup and focus to play the position.

Hell he would probably get bored out there and look like the Little League Kid out in RF picking his nose.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Because he is athletic enough to play center, and his bat plays up at that position (assuming return to career averages) being well below average in any corner spot.
So his bat compares to Josh Hamilton's. Got it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Castro doesn't have the power for a cornet spot. Unless, he could consistently hit 20 to 25 home runs a year then his value would drop because he is in a power position and not a power hitter. Also, The Cubs have a plethora of corner OF's in the farm. We wont find a problem getting players there.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

What does Josh Hamilton have to do with the fact that CF on average are weaker hitters than corner OFs?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
What does Josh Hamilton have to do with the fact that CF on average are weaker hitters than corner OFs?
For whatever reason you and many others place hitters on the field based upon what they can or cannot do at the plate. Jim Edmonds shouldn't have been in CF based upon the pop in his bat. I want the best defense behind my pitchers. For me if that means a 200+ hit guy with 15-20 HR per year takes Soriano's place in LF when the time comes, I'm doing it.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Castro doesn't have the power for a cornet spot. Unless, he could consistently hit 20 to 25 home runs a year then his value would drop because he is in a power position and not a power hitter. Also, The Cubs have a plethora of corner OF's in the farm. We wont find a problem getting players there.
So this "plethora of corner OF's in the farm" are going to be 200+ hit guys, too. It's good to know that it's that easy for these MiLBers to do these all-star caliber things.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So this "plethora of corner OF's in the farm" are going to be 200+ hit guys, too. It's good to know that it's that easy for these MiLBers to do these all-star caliber things.

Did I say that or are you just trolling? Castro has hit for 200 hits once and hasn't hit over 14 homers. What are you not getting? Corner positions in baseball are power positions. Castro doesn't has not shown that kind of power. His value is higher because he plays short. You move him to a corner OF spot. He becomes average at best corner OF because OPS would not compare to most. Maybe we should have a left handed catcher as well. It makes about as much sense.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

3B, 1B, LF and RF have traditionally been the 3-6 hitters and supply the run support. 2B, SS, CF and C have been stronger D. Better OBA's hit 1/2 weaker hitters 7-8. Now if you can get a decent OPS out of an up the middle type you are doing pretty good. Like Jim Edwards. Glove came first but still had a 3-6 bat. Castro is OVERRATED. his D is lacking and he has never been a .380 OBA type. Way OVERHYPED and it shows a utter lack of knowlege of the game to over value what 200 hits bring to the team. That is why you look at SLG to see if said hitter could become an potential RBI machine or OBA if he is suited as a 1/2 hitter. Right now he is a #7 hitter on a contender and a liability at SS while lacking power to move to a corner spot. He needs to step up. Baez is looking like the future not Castro.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
3B, 1B, LF and RF have traditionally been the 3-6 hitters and supply the run support. 2B, SS, CF and C have been stronger D. Better OBA's hit 1/2 weaker hitters 7-8. Now if you can get a decent OPS out of an up the middle type you are doing pretty good. Like Jim Edwards. Glove came first but still had a 3-6 bat. Castro is OVERRATED. his D is lacking and he has never been a .380 OBA type. Way OVERHYPED and it shows a utter lack of knowlege of the game to over value what 200 hits bring to the team. That is why you look at SLG to see if said hitter could become an potential RBI machine or OBA if he is suited as a 1/2 hitter. Right now he is a #7 hitter on a contender and a liability at SS while lacking power to move to a corner spot. He needs to step up. Baez is looking like the future not Castro.
I tend to agree with you, but if he returns to form at the plate, but still has issues with his defense, how are you going to get return value in a trade? Who is going to trade for a CF who has never played CF? Also, at 23 years old, he has time to become a 15-20 HR guy. While I tend to agree with "traditions" I also believe that many FO get too caught up in them and miss opportunities when they are available.