Cubs sign draft pick Kris Bryant (For slot according to Sullivan)

patg006

Liked Posts:
About god damn time...

The trib just announced he passed his physical.

Where does he go? I sincerely hope KC or Daytona.....get this kid some ABs and fast. He just lost a month of games. Hope he's still in awesome shape

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
About god damn time...

The trib just announced he passed his physical.

Where does he go? I sincerely hope KC or Daytona.....get this kid some ABs and fast. He just lost a month of games. Hope he's still in awesome shape

Boise to start since he hasn't played since May, but after het gets at-bats in, he'll head to KC.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bryant's season ended in early June, and once the Cubs get the third baseman signed, he will report to their facility in Mesa, Ariz., to work out before being assigned to a Minor League team.

"We would need to get a feel for how rusty he is," Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said Wednesday. "Once we get a feel for his conditioning, we'll figure out exactly what the right path is. Certainly, he'll start out at the very low levels [in the Minors]. We're hopeful he can move quickly through those."

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
ESPN just updated their story:

That means expect Bryant to begin his pro career at Short-A ball in Boise, Idaho, before moving on to Kane County.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm expecting some AB's at Azl Cubs to shake the rust off. Not sure after that. Logically they should promote Christian to AAA and Candi to A+. Then slot Bryant at K/C to finish the year. Next year who knows. They might have him jump the levels as I doubt they are going to slow develop a advanced hitter just because that is how they do things.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, gee. Glad after all this negotiating that the Cubs couldn't even keep the 12th rounder that so many were pining for. Whoops, just hope Bryant is all that he's cracked up to be.
lol yeah cuz sooooo many were pining for that 12th thousand round pick.:andruw:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You haven't been reading this forum the past two weeks have you?

Pining for? No, but what I and others have tried to point out is what is actually going on with the negotiations with Bryant. Many have tried to paint this as an issue of being cheap and that the front office is trying to save Ricketts a few pennies. That is factually incorrect in this instance as the Cubs spent right up to the maximum without losing a pick (4.9% overage of slot) last year. The Cubs by some quick figuring done by John Arguello at Cubs Den have 440K left over at this moment to sign a couple of overslot guys, and like I posted earlier fully expect the Cubs to spend right up to that 4.9% overage again this year. The issue has never been don't sign Bryant. The issue has been negotiating for the best possible deal to get the most possible talent from this one draft.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Pining for? No, but what I and others have tried to point out is what is actually going on with the negotiations with Bryant. Many have tried to paint this as an issue of being cheap and that the front office is trying to save Ricketts a few pennies. That is factually incorrect in this instance as the Cubs spent right up to the maximum without losing a pick (4.9% overage of slot) last year. The Cubs by some quick figuring done by John Arguello at Cubs Den have 440K left over at this moment to sign a couple of overslot guys, and like I posted earlier fully expect the Cubs to spend right up to that 4.9% overage again this year. The issue has never been don't sign Bryant. The issue has been negotiating for the best possible deal to get the most possible talent from this one draft.

Which has been stated, specifically by you, since the draft. Well done.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I didn't paint it as an issue of being cheap.

I painted as an issue that people were more obsessed over signing a 12th round pick than Bryant. I believe if management was as upset about the potential of losing a 12th round pick as people were on here, that I doubt their ability to run a baseball team. People want both and that's fine, I'd like both too, but after all this delay, they better sign the 12th rounder or else this was an exercise in futility, and puts some doubt in my mind about management's priorities.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It's a negotiation worth millions of dollars. There's a reason the negotiating period is a certain length. They didn't even quite use it all. Bryant was playing through early June. It shouldn't take him much time to get up to low A.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Awesome. This gives us a legit All-Star caliber 3B prospect in the system. Would be nice if Castro or Baez were able to switch to 2B

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Awesome. This gives us a legit All-Star caliber 3B prospect in the system. Would be nice if Castro or Baez were able to switch to 2B

Would rather have Baez go to 3rd base unless his defense picks up, but we'll see.

As far as 2B, Alcantara in AA is looking pretty good, plus he is a switch hitter (though he should only bat LH), has some pop, and can steal bases.

His line left handed is .296 AVG, .369 OBP, 12 HR's, 38 RBI's, 19 SB's, 2 CS, and an .894 OPS.

Granted it's in AA, but not too shabby for a 21 year old kid who won't be 22 until late October. A little plate discipline and maturity with this kid, and he should be the Cubs future 2nd baseman if he is not traded before then.

Lookout Barney! They are breathing down your neck. :tiptoe:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would rather have Baez go to 3rd base unless his defense picks up, but we'll see.

As far as 2B, Alcantara in AA is looking pretty good, plus he is a switch hitter (though he should only bat LH), has some pop, and can steal bases.

His line left handed is .296 AVG, .369 OBP, 12 HR's, 38 RBI's, 19 SB's, 2 CS, and an .894 OPS.

Granted it's in AA, but not too shabby for a 21 year old kid who won't be 22 until late October. A little plate discipline and maturity with this kid, and he should be the Cubs future 2nd baseman if he is not traded before then.

Lookout Barney! They are breathing down your neck. :tiptoe:

In a pitcher's league no less as well with AA. He doesn't have much for star potential is my guess, but the odds of him being a useful starter have grown immensely in the past two years.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Why not move Castro to a corner OF when the time comes?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why not move Castro to a corner OF when the time comes?

Because his bat is only good in a middle of the diamond spot, assuming a return to career numbers. Put him in a corner and the bat simply doesn't cut it.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Because his bat is only good in a middle of the diamond spot, assuming a return to career numbers. Put him in a corner and the bat simply doesn't cut it.
You can't have a 200 hit season as an OF?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Too early to predict where every one ends up. Until they move these guys out of their position don't say this guy will be... Right now A.A. Has been moved to 2B. So guess what? Baez has been a SS so... Etc. I wouldn't say that Castro has SS locked down under any stretch of the imagination.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You can't have a 200 hit season as an OF?

The potential for 200+ hits isn't the problem -- it's the relatively low career slash line outside of batting average. On top of that, most have always felt he had a 20HR ceiling, and his base running isn't so supreme that it makes up for the lost value of power. If he was more of a Ben Revere-type guy, then that'd be fine. It's always easy to find premium offense in the outfield. Castro's career stats lineup with what's considered above-average offensive production for a middle-infielder. He's made some strides defensively this year, so hopefully he can continue that upward trend and his offense will come back around. He's still young enough that I'm not really concerned about this -- ditto for Rizzo.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So what do you do once his defensive stats indicate he isn't MIF? He's gotta go somewhere provided he returns to form.