Cubs sign draft pick Kris Bryant (For slot according to Sullivan)

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs somehow don’t reach an agreement with Bryant, they would pocket the No. 3 overall selection in next year’s draft, along with another high pick from what now projects to be a 90-loss season.

The Cubs wouldn't want TWO picks next year in the first round. Where would the money come from ?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs wouldn't want TWO picks next year in the first round. Where would the money come from ?

It is added onto the draft allotment.

Pirates had 11 picks in the first 10 rounds. $8,884,600 total budget. pick # 9 had a 3,029,600 slot value. #14 $2,569,800 tied to it.

So each pick has a set value associated to it in the first 10 rounds. Hitting each mark would equal the total.

A team can go over 5% of the total with out losing picks the following year. That 5% is taxable.

If a player is not signed (As if they do not sign Bryant) they lose that amount vs being able to re-spend on later picks to get them to sign.

So in short version: Don't sign they lose the slot amount this year. But gain the slot for the 3rd pick for next.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
It is added onto the draft allotment.

Pirates had 11 picks in the first 10 rounds. $8,884,600 total budget. pick # 9 had a 3,029,600 slot value. #14 $2,569,800 tied to it.

So each pick has a set value associated to it in the first 10 rounds. Hitting each mark would equal the total.

A team can go over 5% of the total with out losing picks the following year. That 5% is taxable.

If a player is not signed (As if they do not sign Bryant) they lose that amount vs being able to re-spend on later picks to get them to sign.

So in short version: Don't sign they lose the slot amount this year. But gain the slot for the 3rd pick for next.

Thank you bro. My point is would they actually spend it.

They seem to have problems currently coughing up what little it would take between the two sides to get the Bryant deal done.

Can't imagine having to deal with two at the same time. Good Grief.

Scrambled Eggs.

patg006

Liked Posts:
You have to figure that if the reported differnce in sides is really that close, this deal is going to get done. If that is all the difference is, split it and both sides can be happy. The kid sounds smart enough to realize that turning down that sort of money is just plain dumb. He knows that he is just as likely to slide next season and not get that sort of money, or get hurt and maybe make no money at all.

Disagree. If it's one thing this new regime has taught me, and I'm not going 'Captain Negative' here, its honesty--is that nothing is certain to get done. Ryan Dempster. Carlos Marmol.

I dont think 'split it and both sides can be happy' will do the trick. I've never been a part of sports contract talks; but somebody has to give, and it is probably going to be the cubs. Bryant knows he has time, so do the cubs, but Bryant knows he has the upper hand. There is more to this than "well just meet half way and be hunkie dorey."

I wish dicking around would stop. Playing "something in my front pocket for you" isn't worth letting the #2 pick go back to college.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Disagree. If it's one thing this new regime has taught me, and I'm not going 'Captain Negative' here, its honesty--is that nothing is certain to get done. Ryan Dempster. Carlos Marmol.

I dont think 'split it and both sides can be happy' will do the trick. I've never been a part of sports contract talks; but somebody has to give, and it is probably going to be the cubs. Bryant knows he has time, so do the cubs, but Bryant knows he has the upper hand. There is more to this than "well just meet half way and be hunkie dorey."

I wish dicking around would stop. Playing "something in my front pocket for you" isn't worth letting the #2 pick go back to college.

He wont go back to college. They are just waiting it out to squeeze every possible dime. Next years draft is stronger then this years draft and he would be very dumb to text the waters again. If he doesn't surpass the season he had this year, he wont go as high next year. I also don't think Boras would let him risk it. Appel was different last year cause he dropped to 8th and barring injury. Knew he would go higher this year. If Bryant does go back to college, then he got some bad advice and I would put that on Bryant more than the Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Thank you bro. My point is would they actually spend it.

They seem to have problems currently coughing up what little it would take between the two sides to get the Bryant deal done.

Can't imagine having to deal with two at the same time. Good Grief.

Scrambled Eggs.

I believe that they will spend up to the allotment. Not going over 5% and losing a pick from the following year.

The situation is always the same though. If they signed Bryant over allotment and didn't have the cash to pay the #5 pick (lets say) they would lose the slot allotment for the #5 pick. So that slot amount could not be reallocated over to cover the 1st pick.

Now on rounds 11 and above they only count against the pool if they sign over slot value of $100k or more. Then the overage is counted against the nut. So that 12th HS pick will count against Bryant.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Bruce Levine making it sound better than national media (Heyman) putting "far away" during chat today. David (Libertyville)

Now that we have signed everyone in our allotment but Bryant. Can we see him being signed soon since we know exactly how much we can give him without being penalized?
Bruce Levine (1:13 PM)

The Cubs have some bonus money to spend which I believe Scott Boras is trying to get his hands on. That might be the hangup here. I don't see that killing any type of deal. The Cubs have 13 days to sign Bryant.

Waiting sucks

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Gotta pass the time somehow

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
He'll sign at the deadline.. just like we've assumed from the minute he was drafted.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Callis has also stated that he believes that Bryant in particular but really all the first rounders will sign.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Callis has also stated that he believes that Bryant in particular but really all the first rounders will sign.

I cant contain myself from the news dabs

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Wish we'd get the top prospect signed instead of trading for reclamation projects.

But didn't you hear??

The Cubs got more international pool money!!!!

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:*

* = 100% baseball related content

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
But didn't you hear??

I know !!! It's like fuckin' great and stuff !!!!!!

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Hey !!!! Where's Germhole ????????

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
But didn't you hear??

Is there a lot of chlorine in the international pool ?
Let's not be hasty. It may take awhile for them to develop, but they will be clean.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Any updates or are they still prioritizing the 12th rounder over the 2nd overall pick?