Cubs sign draft pick Kris Bryant (For slot according to Sullivan)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dumb Question Alert: Why is Clifton getting 3rd money if he was picked in the 12th rnd? Criminal? Injured? Tool?

I am guessing that is the traditional situation for a guy that slides due to signability issues. There were more players that were third round talents and given his price tag he fell to outside the first 10 rounds when not signing him would cost you a pick. No one here is trying to tell you Trevor Clifton is a world beater or the next big thing. The point that I and others have raised is that caving in on whatever Bryant wants right fucking now costs the chance to add legitimate talent like Clifton. Lets talk on July 13th on whether the Cubs were right or wrong to play hardball with their second overall pick who is asking for more money than any player in this and the past draft has gotten.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I am guessing that is the traditional situation for a guy that slides due to signability issues. There were more players that were third round talents and given his price tag he fell to outside the first 10 rounds when not signing him would cost you a pick. No one here is trying to tell you Trevor Clifton is a world beater or the next big thing. The point that I and others have raised is that caving in on whatever Bryant wants right fucking now costs the chance to add legitimate talent like Clifton. Lets talk on July 13th on whether the Cubs were right or wrong to play hardball with their second overall pick who is asking for more money than any player in this and the past draft has gotten.

I still don't get it. He's so good that 30 teams passed on him at least 11 times????

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I still don't get it. He's so good that 30 teams passed on him at least 11 times????

I believe what Dabs is getting at is that 30 teams questioned the ability to sign him.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
The point that I and others have raised is that caving in on whatever Bryant wants right fucking now costs the chance to add legitimate talent like Clifton.

The point that I and others have raised is that a 5th round talent is not really adding a legitimate talent as evidenced by the 4-5 picks out of 800 or so draft picks from the 5th round and on that have played in an All Star Game and not worth dicking around the #2 overall pick.*

* = 100% baseball related content

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Or maybe 30 other teams did want to draft him and have to dick around their first round picks because of it.*

always a possibility I suppose.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Again, he is far from a game changing talent, but he is a projectible high schooler with a low 90s fastball already. The question that I have and others have raised is caving into Bryant for a couple weeks of development time worth forfeiting that talent?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then how talented could he possibly be if all teams are unwilling to draft him a minimum of 330 times?

That is a ridiculous statement given the realities of the new CBA. Many teams draft fucking worthless players round 6-10 to get more bonus money to sign top round talents. The Cubs have chosen a different strategy by drafting only one signable college player type.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Calm down Dabs, just asking questions here. Trying to educate myself along the way, not trying to start something (this time).

How does signing me in rounds 6-10 be a good thing so quality talent can be drafted in the first few rounds and then again in round 12?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Calm down Dabs, just asking questions here. Trying to educate myself along the way, not trying to start something (this time).

How does signing me in rounds 6-10 be a good thing so quality talent can be drafted in the first few rounds and then again in round 12?

I am hardly overreacting. I am just trying to explain the realities of the new CBA. Teams routinely in the past two years have taken nothing, organizational fillers types during the second half of the first 10 rounds to give more money towards first couple of rounds. It isn't a knock on Clifton's talent that he fell to the 12th round. Heis unlikely to make a difference at the major league roster, but again the point that I have been raising is that this isn't #RickettsCheap. This is the Cubs hold out for the value of the set market to give them the ability to add the most talent possible from this draft.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So you are saying after the first three rounds, players are taken that are 12th round talent and further they tell the players picked say 4th-10th round that we aren't going to pay you as you aren't that good so take 11th-20th round money instead. Then after filling up with "junk" they go back to taking quality. Did I summarize that correctly?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Heis unlikely to make a difference at the major league roster,

Well it is a good thing then that the Cubs are dicking around the #2 overall pick to add the most available talent that is unlikely to make a difference at the major league level.*

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you are saying after the first three rounds, players are taken that are 12th round talent and further they tell the players picked say 4th-10th round that we aren't going to pay you as you aren't that good so take 11th-20th round money instead. Then after filling up with "junk" they go back to taking quality. Did I summarize that correctly?

Not exactly, every team has had a different strategy in the new CBA. The CBA has placed a premium on signability which forced some guys that likely would have been drafted sooner out of the top 10. That is the point that we have been raising it is why are the Cubs holding out on Bryant? Is it to save the owners money or is it worth the gamble on a few weeks of development time to sign a legitiamte talent like Clifton and more.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well it is a good thing then that the Cubs are dicking around the #2 overall pick to add the most available talent that is unlikely to make a difference at the major league level.*

Way to ignore the larger point by taking a few words out of context. It is not Bryant for Clifton that is being suggested. It is caving into Bryant's ridiculous demands given the market at the expense of Clifton versus playing the leverage the Cubs do have that I've pointed to already for the chance to get both.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
But if every team has a different strategy, doesn't Clifton get drafted before the 12th? It seems that Clifton is no talent at all.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Way to ignore the larger point by taking a few words out of context. It is not Bryant for Clifton that is being suggested. It is caving into Bryant's ridiculous demands given the market at the expense of Clifton versus playing the leverage the Cubs do have that I've pointed to already for the chance to get both.

The Cubs don't have any leverage though with Bryant. He DOESN'T HAVE TO SIGN.

Mark Appel did it last year.

JD Drew did it back in the 90's

Other players have done it.

Once again, seeing as the Cubs lost 100 games last year and are throwing away a second consecutive season, it would make much more sense to sign the #2 overall pick first and then hand out what is left to the rest of the draft.

The Cubs have dealt with the rest of the draft first and are now hoping they left enough available to sign the #2 overall pick.

And yes an extra two weeks of development for the #2 overall pick is worth possibly missing out on a player drafted in the 12th round whom you yourself described as most likely not being a difference maker at the major league level.*

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs don't have any leverage though with Bryant. He DOESN'T HAVE TO SIGN.

Mark Appel did it last year.

JD Drew did it back in the 90's

Other players have done it.

Once again, seeing as the Cubs lost 100 games last year and are throwing away a second consecutive season, it would make much more sense to sign the #2 overall pick first and then hand out what is left to the rest of the draft.

The Cubs have dealt with the rest of the draft first and are now hoping they left enough available to sign the #2 overall pick.

And yes an extra two weeks of development for the #2 overall pick is worth possibly missing out on a player drafted in the 12th round whom you yourself described as most likely not being a difference maker at the major league level.*

Appel and Drew had a much higher probability of a greater payday than Bryant does. Bryant doesn't have to sign, but he is gambling in a much stronger draft class duplicating his numbers to achieve even his same draft status much less improved.

It is also nice to see true colors show that you admit that your position is two weeks of development is worth adding another prospect or two.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Appel and Drew had a much higher probability of a greater payday than Bryant does.

Not really.

Appel could have blown his arm out as pitching has a far higher risk of serious injury than playing the field.

And JD Drew took a significant risk going to play independent league ball for a year.*

Bryant doesn't have to sign, but he is gambling in a much stronger draft class duplicating his numbers to achieve even his same draft status much less improved.

And you are completely ignoring the facts that the amount of the draft pool is likely to increase next season as well.

The Astros had roughly a half million more to spend this year than last despite having one less pick this year in the first ten rounds.

So if Bryant doesn't signs and still goes top 3 next year he is highly unlikely to lose a cent.*