Cubs sign draft pick Kris Bryant (For slot according to Sullivan)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really.

Appel could have blown his arm out as pitching has a far higher risk of serious injury than playing the field.

And JD Drew took a significant risk going to play independent league ball for a year.*

And you are completely ignoring the facts that the amount of the draft pool is likely to increase next season as well.

The Astros had roughly a half million more to spend this year than last despite having one less pick this year in the first ten rounds.

So if Bryant doesn't signs and still goes top 3 next year he is highly unlikely to lose a cent.*

* = 100% baseball related content
We will see, but Appel gained roughly 100% increase in bonus. Is Bryant likely to see a similar increase if he does go back?

At the end of the day, we are arguing about a couple of weeks right now because everyone wants to see Bryant signed. I fully expect Bryant to be signed. If things change than my position will change.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really.

Appel could have blown his arm out as pitching has a far higher risk of serious injury than playing the field.

And JD Drew took a significant risk going to play independent league ball for a year.*

And you are completely ignoring the facts that the amount of the draft pool is likely to increase next season as well.

The Astros had roughly a half million more to spend this year than last despite having one less pick this year in the first ten rounds.

So if Bryant doesn't signs and still goes top 3 next year he is highly unlikely to lose a cent.*

That would imply he goes top 3 next year, he would have to basically replicate what he did this season and probably more since next years draft class is stronger then it is this year, so he is taking a risk fr a cash out that isn't all that much more.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
At the end of the day, we are arguing about a couple of weeks right now because everyone wants to see Bryant signed.

And I have stated that the couple weeks is worth maybe not signing a 12th round draft pick that you yourself described as most likely never making an impact at the major league level.*

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
And I have stated that the couple weeks is worth maybe not signing a 12th round draft pick that you yourself described as most likely never making an impact at the major league level.*

so...let's just agree to disagree on positions...and move on?

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I have made it no secret at all on how enraged I am with this "new regime".

These idiots tanked the season prior in the name of "future sustained success" and if they are not able to get Bryant signed as a result of penny pinching. I'm not sure how much more I could get pissed off. They saved enough money by not fielding a competitve ML team. Least they can do is give the kid what he wants. We are not talking millions of dollars difference here.

Bryant may clearly not want to play for the Cubs and may just want to get the most money out of them if he's going to sport the uniform.

Can't say I blame the kid.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I don't know if it was just me. During the draft there was a huge pause when it was time for the Cubs to pick. They exceeded the amount of time given to make their pick.

All I could do was laugh when this happened. It's almost like they clearly have no clue what the fuck they are doing and this will clearly come to the forefront by not signing this kid.

Let's hope that they can get this one right, even though Gray, IMO, SHOULD have been the pick.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I have made it no secret at all on how enraged I am with this "new regime".

These idiots tanked the season prior in the name of "future sustained success" and if they are not able to get Bryant signed as a result of penny pinching. I'm not sure how much more I could get pissed off. They saved enough money by not fielding a competitve ML team. Least they can do is give the kid what he wants. We are not talking millions of dollars difference here.

Bryant may clearly not want to play for the Cubs and may just want to get the most money out of them if he's going to sport the uniform.

Can't say I blame the kid.

Dont think Bryant detests the cubs. That pitcher detested the Yankees and signed, forgot his name--the college pitcher.

I think the cubs are just being cheap here, but--if it is one thing I can be sure of, at least they're talking to him.

Lots of scrutiny if this kid walks away because McThoyer was too busy signing 12th round picks or overslotting a Mormon, who I'm sure is a nice guy, but took 2 years off of baseball......I think somebody should be fired if Bryant goes back to college.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Dont think Bryant detests the cubs. That pitcher detested the Yankees and signed, forgot his name--the college pitcher.

I think the cubs are just being cheap here, but--if it is one thing I can be sure of, at least they're talking to him.

Lots of scrutiny if this kid walks away because McThoyer was too busy signing 12th round picks or overslotting a Mormon, who I'm sure is a nice guy, but took 2 years off of baseball......I think somebody should be fired if Bryant goes back to college.

Why should anyone get fired? There is a plan in place, so who is to say that it is even being altered regardless?

Willrust

Liked Posts:
The Royals drafted Hunter Dozier 8th overall despite Dozier being ranked 40th according to Baseball America 46th to Jonathan Mayo & 38th according to Keith Law. They took a chance that Sean Manaea would still be there when they picked 34th. Turns out, they were right. But if he were picked 33rd would they be idiots?

However, for someone that was all up in arms over the Cubs picking Bryant in the first place it is clown shoes to piss and moan that the Cubs are trying to negotiate the best deal to sign more picks

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
The Royals drafted Hunter Dozier 8th overall despite Dozier being ranked 40th according to Baseball America 46th to Jonathan Mayo & 38th according to Keith Law. They took a chance that Sean Manaea would still be there when they picked 34th. Turns out, they were right. But if he were picked 33rd would they be idiots?

But he wasn't picked 33rd, so your what if this and what if that scenarios are irrelevant and ridiculous.

The Royals drafted Sean Manaea and have him signed. That is the only relevant fact.*

However, for someone that was all up in arms over the Cubs picking Bryant in the first place it is clown shoes to piss and moan that the Cubs are trying to negotiate the best deal to sign more picks

However, just because someone didn't agree with the draft pick doesn't mean that the pick shouldn't be signed or dicked around in favor of signing the 12th round pick. It is clown shoes to think that signing the 12th round and beyond draft picks should have any impact on signing the #2 overall pick*

patg006

Liked Posts:
Bryant had an interview with a local San Diego paper. About exactly what you would expect someone in his position to say. "I can definitely go back to college if I have to" and "I definitely can step in after signing and contribute."

One thing that caught my eye in hopes for this seemingly cheap front office was Bryant saying it would be “difficult” to turn down a $6 million-plus bonus.

“I’d definitely talk to my family about that,” he said. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jun/28/bryant-cubs-draft-usd/

Wittenmeyer, as listed before--said cubs started at roughly 6 million in talks while Bryant's camp started with 6.8 million. So not that big of a difference. If he wants 6.8 to sign today, give it to him......

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Bryant had an interview with a local San Diego paper. About exactly what you would expect someone in his position to say. "I can definitely go back to college if I have to" and "I definitely can step in after signing and contribute."

One thing that caught my eye in hopes for this seemingly cheap front office was Bryant saying it would be “difficult” to turn down a $6 million-plus bonus.

“I’d definitely talk to my family about that,” he said. http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/jun/28/bryant-cubs-draft-usd/

Wittenmeyer, as listed before--said cubs started at roughly 6 million in talks while Bryant's camp started with 6.8 million. So not that big of a difference. If he wants 6.8 to sign today, give it to him......

Very good post Pat.

I am left wondering why the "spankfest" hasn't come running to thank your post.

Could it be because of the factual content of your presentation ?

Franko725

Liked Posts:
You have to figure that if the reported differnce in sides is really that close, this deal is going to get done. If that is all the difference is, split it and both sides can be happy. The kid sounds smart enough to realize that turning down that sort of money is just plain dumb. He knows that he is just as likely to slide next season and not get that sort of money, or get hurt and maybe make no money at all.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
You have to figure that if the reported differnce in sides is really that close, this deal is going to get done. If that is all the difference is, split it and both sides can be happy. The kid sounds smart enough to realize that turning down that sort of money is just plain dumb. He knows that he is just as likely to slide next season and not get that sort of money, or get hurt and maybe make no money at all.

...Or maybe one of his goals in life is to be on a team that has a LEGITIMATE shot at winning the World Series, during his playing career.*

* = 100% pure, speculative, retardation on my part.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
...Or maybe one of his goals in life is to be on a team that has a LEGITIMATE shot at winning the World Series, during his playing career.*

* = 100% pure, speculative, retardation on my part.
A kid coming out of college isn't worried about that as much as the paycheck first, they wanna get paid first and formost. you don't go #2 overall to the winner from last season. And you don't get paid like a #2 overall pick by the winner from last season. It doesn't work that way.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
A kid coming out of college isn't worried about that as much as the paycheck first, they wanna get paid first and formost. you don't go #2 overall to the winner from last season. And you don't get paid like a #2 overall pick by the winner from last season. It doesn't work that way.

First. I am only able to respond to your first sentence.

I'm guessing if a team like the Yankees would have drafted Bryant, they would have the same issues that the Cubs are currently experiencing with him. Right ?

Since the "Great Rebuild' is the priority above all else including the major league team on the field.

The rest of your post clearly doesn't make any sense to me while hoping someone is able to translate.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fisrt. I am only able to respond to your first sentence.

I'm guessing if a team like the Yankees would have drafted Bryant, they would have the same issues that the Cubs are currently experiencing with him. Right ?

Since the "Great Rebuild' is the priority above all else including the major league team on the field.

The rest of your post clearly doesn't make any sense to me while hoping someone is able to translate.
If the Yankees were negotiating the exact same way? It would appear that way. But if the Yankees drafted him he would be looking at a lot less money right now.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
If the Yankees were negotiating the exact same way? It would appear that way. But if the Yankees drafted him he would be looking at a lot less money right now.

I highly doubt Bryant would still be left unsigned IF the Yankees had the number two draft pick this year and chose Bryant.

It could just be that Command Central believes that Bryant may make an impact on the ML team too soon, will interrupt the "Great Rebuild" in progress, and may be forced into having to sign LEGIT FA players as a result sooner than expected.

When you hear about trade rumors regarding Garza and Shark, your goal is not to win anytime soon. Someone like Bryant could throw a wrench into their calculated, intelligent, plans going forward.

Bryant may end up being traded for prospects as a result. :tiptoe:

Picasso.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
SEATTLE – The Cubs and Scott Boras need each other.

A rebuilding franchise wants impact talent, and the super-agent holds influence at the top of the draft and pushes his clients toward free agency at a time when teams are locking up core players with long-term extensions.

[MORE: Bad break for Ryan Sweeney, Cubs]

It would also be good for Boras Corp. business if the Cubs started spending like a big-market team again.

So while a national report had framed it as the two sides being far apart in the Kris Bryant negotiations, all along the Cubs expected the No. 2 overall pick to wait until the July 12 signing deadline.

“I don’t like to talk about negotiations publicly,” team president Theo Epstein said Sunday at Safeco Field. “It just sort of complicates the process. But we’ve signed nine of our first 10 (draft picks). So we hope that by the time the deadline comes, we’ll have all 10 signed.”

In theory, Bryant could return to the University of San Diego for his senior season. But it’s hard to see the third baseman’s stock soaring any higher after leading the country in homers (31), runs scored (80), walks (66) and slugging percentage (.820).

The No. 2 overall pick has been assigned a $6.7 million slot value. Top pick Mark Appel, a Boras guy from Stanford University, recently accepted a $6.35 million signing bonus to pitch for his hometown Houston Astros. University of Oklahoma pitcher Jonathan Gray took a below-slot deal ($4.8 million) from the Colorado Rockies as the third overall pick.

[RELATED: Alfonso Soriano doesn't plan to fade away]

It’s worth noting Boras also advised Albert Almora – the first player drafted by the Epstein administration last year at No. 6 overall – and made a deal for the high school outfielder from South Florida.

If the Cubs somehow don’t reach an agreement with Bryant, they would pocket the No. 3 overall selection in next year’s draft, along with another high pick from what now projects to be a 90-loss season.

But that’s a long-shot scenario for a player the Cubs hope will be a building block at Wrigley Field.

Tags: CHICAGO CUBS, Kris Bryant,

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs-talk/cubs-hoping-make-deal-top-pick-kris-bryant