Cubs Sign Edwin Jackson

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Someone on here I thought posted something like you need a Vets to eat those innings so the young guys can develop on a normal schedule. Given that the Cubs better prospects are all hitters, I would think this would be even more of a need for the Cubs young pitchers. So the years of 3 or 4 shouldn't be that scary.

I think a team like the Cubs might be perfect for guys like EJ. He won't break the bank (even if it got to something like $40 million over 4, he'll help the young guys by keeping them down in the minors instead of learning on the big stage, and truthfully, he won't be anywhere near the major leageu club if and when the team turns things around.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs and Rangers are the teams competing for his services, I would assume that he'd only prefer the Cubs if we offer him more money or more years. Jackson is relatively young, and his control has actually improved a bit over the last two seasons. He's made at least 31 starts every year since 2006, so durability isn't an issue. On a good team, he's a solid #4. I wouldn't mind him to fill that spot for us, as well. A 3-year deal with a fourth as an option at 11 to 13 million annually wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to Rosenthal, Indians are also in on EJax. It is believed that they can only sign one of Swisher and Jackson though.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rosenthal said this morning he doesn't not think Jackson will sign with the Rangers. I think Swisher is number 1 on the Tribe's list.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rosenthal said this morning he doesn't not think Jackson will sign with the Rangers. I think Swisher is number 1 on the Tribe's list.

With how bad the Tribe's offense is I wouldn't be surprised if that was true.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Heyman adds that the bidding is up to 4years 50 million.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a move the Cubs should make for that money but I suppose they gotta pretend to do something decent at some point.

Either way....

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
This hypothetical contract is also a good time to suggest :grumpy: smiley...

gran_clint.jpg

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
why not just hold onto the cash and put it somewhere else when they are closer to contending? I just cant wrap my head around a 4/52 for jackson.

Maybe its just a PR move for the casual fans. :dunno:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
why not just hold onto the cash and put it somewhere else when they are closer to contending? I just cant wrap my head around a 4/52 for jackson.

Maybe its just a PR move for the casual fans. :dunno:

The rationale might be that if they can throw in more good ingredients as in Roobz' EJax Cake recipe, then he could turn into a solid trade chip with a still manageable contract. Due to his age he'd still be paid through his prime. The inflated pricetag is because of the current market conditions, not because he's actually worth that much had guys like Hamels and Matt Cain actually been available.

I'd much rather the Cubs pass, but I won't complain too much if they win because Edwin Jackson is solidly average, which I guess is what $13MM will get you these days :shrug:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah...like others have idealized, I'm fine w/ Jackson for something like 4/42...but 4/52 is over the top.

Nothing like pitching being at a premium...like it always is... :shifty:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
5 years from now cherington will be the GM of the Cubs moving 200 million dollars of bad theo money to the dodgers. :shifty:

Considering the guys Cherington decided to buy up after cleaning up the contracts, I don't think it'd matter too much :D

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the WHIP is what is scary with this guy. Control control control...he doesnt have it. I saw it first hand with the sox.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
the WHIP is what is scary with this guy. Control control control...he doesnt have it. I saw it first hand with the sox.

He'll get the normal benefit of moving from AL to NL...but yeah...any more than $10M/yr just seems high to me. :shrug:

edit: guess I should be slapped for not paying attention...he's been in the NL the last 1.5 years (Cards/Nats). dude spends a year on the Sox, and i think he's played his whole career there :smh: