Cubs Spring Training 2013 Preparation and Game Thread

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jackson stance reminds a bit of Josh Hamilton from what i saw on those videos. I love for him to tear it up this spring and force the Cubs hand. If he could hit at all he be really nice CF with power, speed, DEF.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wonder what Matt Cain was working on today. It didn't work.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jackson stance reminds a bit of Josh Hamilton from what i saw on those videos. I love for him to tear it up this spring and force the Cubs hand. If he could hit at all he be really nice CF with power, speed, DEF.

I still can't see him making the roster with a good arping UNLESS Soriano is traded.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
2-0 in Spring Training, World Series championship inevitable

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
i know Cubs won 4-3. couldnt listen to game earlier so doing it now :)

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
In the last game ever at HoHoKam Park, the Chicago Cubs beat the World Series Champs San Francisco Giants 4-3 to go up to 2-0 in Cactus League play.

Jeff Samardzija started the game in his spring action and first time pitching since he was shut-down late September. Samardzija was alright in his 2 innings of work as he gave up 3 hits, 1 earn run, 0 walks and struck out 2. The only run Samardzija gave up was on an rbi-single by Guillermo Quioz and that drove in Francisco Peguero.

The Cubs had a busy 1st inning ... after a flyout by David DeJeus to open the game, Starlin Castro hit a single up the middle, Anthony Rizzo reached on a throwing error by 1B Brandon Belt and Alfosno Soriano singled up the middle.

The bases were loaded for Nate Schierholz, but he could only drive in one run on an rbi-groundout. That left men on 2nd and 3rd for Dioner Navarro and he did not disappoint. Navarro hit a home run over the right field wall to drive in Castro and Soriano. That was Navarro's 1st home run in a Cubs uniform, even if it's spring training.

The 1st inning was all the runs the Cubs could score in the game. In good news, it was against CY candidate Matt Cain.

Carlos Marmol did not help his trade value too much as he still couldn't throw strikes. Marmol only had 1 walk, however. But he did give up an rbi-double to Pablo Sandoval that drove in Gregour Blanco.

Another candidate whom has a chance to make the 'pen Cory Wade pitched well. However, he did give up an unearned run due to Anthony Rizzo's error.

Kyuji Fujikawa took the ball and looked very sharp. He threw mostly strikes, which had to make manager Dale Svuem very happy. In 1 inning, Fujikawa gave up 1 hit and struck out 2.

Before the game, Dale Sveum said - barring no trade, his top 4 in the line-up for the 2013 season will be David DeJesus, Starlin Castro, Anthony Rizzo and Alfonso Soriano. Like I've stated before, I love Castro in the 2 hole and think he's the best suited 2 man on the team.

Postgame comments:
*Samardzija said after the game that he was happy with his fastball and splitter, but his slider was "garbage". He will work on his slider during his next Cactus League start.
*Most of the game was focus on Alfonso Soriano and I'll have a separate article on this later.
Today the Cubs will take on the Los Angeles Dodgers at 2 p.m. Central in Glendale.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/0...icago-cubs-beat-the-san-francisco-giants-4-3/

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
im starting to think Navarro could become everyday player for Cubs. Still long away from start of season but early on he seems to be favorite of Sveum

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watching 1st Cub game of the year. LAD has the broadcast so if you have MLB.tv then you can watch the game!

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, you say that and Castillo has a home run. Castillo will have every chance to start and I can't see him not unless he's struggling very bad. But don't get me wrong, Navarro has the chance to be the best back-up in the league.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs traveled to Glendale to take on the Los Angeles Dodgers yesterday; however, they suffered their first lost of Cactus League play 7-6.

Carlos Villanueva started for the Cubs in his first action of the spring and first time in a Cubs uniform. But it did not go well as he couldn't escape the 1st inning. The first batter of the game Dee Gordon made Villanueva throw 16 pitches, but at the end did strikeout. After Gordon, Villanueva walked the next 2 batters and a run did score before being taken out.

In back-to-back days, the Cubs did not let the opposing pitcher get settled in. Luis Valbuena started the game with a double and Darwin Barney pitched in with a double as well plating Valbuena.

Nate Schierholtz, whom I think is having a good spring thus far (2 games) homered in the 1st to put the Cubs up 2-0.

Spring roster invitee Darnell McDonald doesn't want to be sent to Triple A and make the team out of spring training. As he showed some pop in the 3rd inning hitting a 3-run home run shot to left field driving home Barney and Schierholtz.

Welington Castillo sees he has competition as the starting catcher and showed he's the starter with a solo home run to center field in the game. Castillo saw Dioner Navarro hit a 3-run homer 2 days ago and had to match him.

Robert Whitenack of whom is coming back from Tommy John Surgery did not pitch well. He could not find the strike zone and nothing good will come out from that. Whitenack walked 2 batters and before exiting the game, he gave up 3 runs. You have to fell bad for the guy because he was pitching very well before the injury.

At the end of the game, the Cubs were short-handed in pitching and Dontrell Willis saw action in the game. But it did not go well at all as he walked the first guy and left the game after 7 pitches with an injury. I'll have more about Willis later in the article.

Willis ended the game as the losing pitcher. Since Jensen Lewis could not get outs when he came in. So, the walk surrendered by Willis ended up coming around to score.

More on Dontrell Willis:
Willis, whom the Cubs signed to a minor-league deal in the off-season is trying to make a comeback. And what is better than trying to make a comeback with the team that drafted you?
Willis said the injury is "frustrating" and he felt discomfort after the 2nd pitch he threw. Willis is thought to have shoulder tightness with fatigue.

Willis also said it is a minor setback and should be ready to pitch next week. Willis had no chance to make the team out of spring training and will either start the season in Triple A or Double A.

Today the Cubs will take on the Colorado Rockies at 2 p.m. Central in Mesa.

Last edited by a moderator:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Top 4 guys in lineup in today game. DeJesus, Castro, Rizzo, Sori and then B.Jackson batting 5th. Edwin Jackson on the mound

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs winning 3-1. Couple of solo shots and SAC Fly by B.Jackson

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs traveled back to Mesa to take on the Colorado Rockies. The Cubs improved their Cactus League record to 3-1 with a 4-2 win over the Rockies.

Edwin Jackson made his Cubs debut and was sharp. Jackson gave up back-to-back singles to start the inning, but did get out of the jam with no runs. On the day, Jackson gave up 0 runs or walks in his 2 innings of work.

Chris Rusin, who is competing for a roster spot in the bullpen was sharp as well. He did not disappoint the coaching staff or the front office. Rusin gave up 2 hits, but 0 runs or walks in his 2 innings of work. Rusin also picked off ex-Cub Tyler Colvin at 1st base.

Christian Villanueva, whom the Cubs acquired in the Ryan Dempster trade last July showed his muscles as he hit a home run to left field. Villanueva will not make the team out of camp. but could be the future.

Brett Jackson continues his good spring with a deep sac fly to the warning track in center field driving home Starlin Castro. Jackson won't make the team out of camp, but I say we'll see him back-up in June.

Dave Sappelt showed some pop in his bat as he hit a solo home run to left field. Sappelt is competing to be the 5th OF on the roster and I do expect him to win.

Ex-Cubs alert: Tyler Colvin went 1-3 with a single in the game. Colvin is not having a good spring, batting only .167. DJ LeMahieu did not start the game, but did have a triple as a pinch-hitter later in the game.

I wish the Cubs can carry over the spring success to the regular season, but that's unlikely.

Today the Cubs will stay in Mesa and take on the Los Angeles Dodgers at 2 p.m. Central.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/0...4-chicago-cubs-beat-the-colorado-rockies-4-2/

bbaker

Liked Posts:
3-1. :beerbang:

Is Vin Scully calling the game today again? Does anyone know?

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Dunno if Vin is calling the game today.

BBRef has a new OPP category for ST games, it's TEH SEXSORS

Sent from up Mark Teixeira's butt.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry but i think Scully is not that good of announcer anymore. He messes alot of things up daily. 1 man booth is not how shit goes today. 30 yrs ago sure but today we want 2 broadcasters that know what they are talking about.

Also from my MLB.TV webpage LAD are not broadcasting on TV or radio today. Only can listen to Cubs from cubs.com

Last edited:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Raley gives up 1 run in 1st. Was falling behind alot. Cubs come back and have scored 4 so far. Barney with big 2 out 2 run single

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs losing 8-5 in the 4th. 2 Hour game to get through 3 innings so far today lol

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
finally a good inning from a Cubs pitcher. Alberto Cabrera pitched perfect 4th