Cubs Spring Training 2013 Preparation and Game Thread

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro gets hurt :(

Leg injury. Hopefully wont miss to much time. Good thing Opening day 5 weeks away

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Fuck, hoping for a very expedient recovery, better in February than April I guess though.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
my guess he dont play for 1 or 2 weeks. Still 5 weeks till opening day. no reason to rush

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs took on the Los Angeles Dodgers on their home field, but the game was not pretty as they lost 11-7. Pitching was by far the downfall in yesterday's game.

Brooks Raley started for the Cubs and he was no great. Raley is competing for a spot in the bullpen and may have made the decision easier for the Cubs staff with his performance. In the game, Raley gave up 4 earned runs, 5 hits and 1 walk in 1 inning of work.

Once again the Cubs got off to a great start in the 1st inning. Anthony Rizzo hit an rbi-single driving home Luis Valbuena, Nate Schierholtz had an rbi-single as well plating Starlin Castro and Darwin Barney had a 2-run single driving home both Alfonso Soriano and Schierholtz. After the 1st inning, the Cubs were up 4-1. Then the major let-down from the pitching began...

Later in the game, Barney added another rbi-single driving Schierholtz home, Junior Lake scored on a throwing error by SS Dee Gordon and Darnell McDonald drove home Johermyn Chavez with a sacrifice fly.

Castro had to leave the game in the 4th inning after coming up limping while running to 1st base, I'll have more on Castro later in the article.

To just show you how bad the pitching was; here are the lines from them:

Trey McNutt: 1 inning ... 2 hits, 1 run
Jaye Chapman: 0.1 innings ... 2 hits, 3 runs, 2 walks
Alberto Cabrera: 2.2 innings ... 4 hits, 2 runs, 3 strikeouts
Hisanori Takahashi: 1 inning ... 1 hit, 1 run, 1 walk
However, Michael Bowden, Shawn Camp and James Russell were perfect in their 1 inning of work.

More on Starlin Castro's Injury:
Starling Castro is said to be day-t0-day with a tight hamstring. Dale Sveum says Castro does not have a pulled hamstring.
Castro said this after the game about his injury; "I was scared when I first felt my hammy tug, but let's see how I feel tomorrow [but] I think I'll be fine."

Castro will be re-evaluated this morning to make sure his hamstring is all good.

Update on Matt Garza's Injury:
Dale Sveum said; "Garza's workout yesterday went great, if lat is fine this morning, he could start throwing." Garza could be ready by opening day.
Bruce Levine says Garza passed upper body strengths evaluation. Garza could throw from 90 feet today.

Javier Baez on his Hard Hit ball:
Baez on nearly killing a guy; "If you hit a ball like that all the time you're going to feel great."

Sveum said; "that was the kind of balls Sheffield used to hit." He was talking about Baez's hard hit ball in the game.

The Cubs will stay in Mesa today and take on the Oakland Athletics at 2 p.m. Central. Scott Feldman will make his first start and it'll be his first game pitching in Cubbie blue.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/0...go-cubs-lose-to-the-los-angeles-dodgers-11-7/

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro to miss 2-3 days. So thats good news. Garza threw today for first time since lat strain

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Cubs 4-2 now. We are World Series bound!

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs took on the Oakland Athletics in Mesa and came out with a 5-3 victory improving their Cactus League record to 4-2.

Scott Feldman started for the Cubs and he was alright. Also, this was Feldman's first start in Cubbie Blue. In 2 innings, Feldman gave up 2 hits, 1 run, 2 walks and struck out 2.

Travis Wood also took the mound and pitched alright as well. In 2 innings, Wood gave up 2 hits, 1 run and struck out 1. One of the hits given up by Wood was a home run to Derek Norris. That was the 2nd home run given up by Cubs pitching thus far.

Dave Sappelt continues his good spring as he hit an rbi-double driving home Brett Lillibridge. Both of whom are competing for a roster spots. But I do expect them both to the final spots on the 25-man roster.

Darnell McDonald is trying to make it hard on Cubs management with a good start. McDonald hit an rbi-double driving home Darwin Barney. McDonald continues to drive home runners.

Jorge Soler, one of the Cubs top prospects, showed his arm in yesterday's game by throwing out Josh Reddick at 3rd base. Oh boy, the future looks bright!

The Cubs will stay in Mesa once again to take on the Arizona Diamondbacks at 2 p.m. Central. Jeff Samardzija will take the mound for the Cubs in his 2nd start of the season.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/0...-chicago-cubs-beat-the-oakland-athletics-5-3/

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
If I gave you an honest critique, would you accept it?

You can if you want.

But I'll prolly change those articles up. Their too boring to write. I'm staying with those types of articles right now because I can't do the research I would want to. So, I can chane it up. I want to do an article like ESPNChicago does. I prolly will eventually... I just do it at work and my resources are limited. It's all off my phone.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
WBC Team we're playing is either Japan or Chinese Taipei.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Now the truth comes out after Ronnie passes, I see how you are Ernie :tongue:

I've never played in the post season in my entire Major League career, Fisch. What do you want me to say?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs Den and The Cub Reporter suggest that the team signed yet another Cuban pitcher. Details later unless someone wants to post links.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nate with a RBI double. So i like what i have heard from him so far this spring. Hopefully he continues in the regular season. Could be a nice find

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
@PWSullivan
First Cubs cuts: Brenly and Diaz to minor league camp. Szczur to Double-A.