Cubs Spring Training 2013 Preparation and Game Thread

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
@ESPNChiCubs
Cubs sending a few players to minor league camp. Logan Watkins among them. Regulars will start playing more

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
@Cubs
#Cubs option A. Cabrera, B. Raley, T. McNutt and L. Watkins to @IowaCubs; R. Whitenack to @smokiesbaseball; N. Struck to minor league camp.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Samardzija on his "meh" outing, via Muskat...

He’s still working on getting his offspeed pitches down in the zone, but said Monday was his best outing.

“I really thought today was a big turn for me, just how I felt,” he said. “If I missed, I didn’t miss by much. The adjustments I need to make are pretty simple.”

He has about three starts remaining this spring to tune up for his April 1 start against the Pirates, including a start this weekend against the Rangers, who he could see in April in Interleague play. Samardzija will keep working on his pitches, but don’t expect him to reveal everything.

“You don’t want to show them everything in Spring Training,” he said.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Via TCR:

@thecubreporter
Per AZ Phil: Dan Vogelbach (@VogyVog24) has been assigned to the Kane County squad at #Cubs S-T and was taking grounders at 3B today.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Albert Almora said on Twitter that he broke his hamate (wrist) bone. Crap. Wonder what happened.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Via TCR (who also has a good article and comments about the positive prognosis on Almora's injury):

Have you heard the full story on the Barret Loux and Jacob Brigham swap? Brigham just got reassigned and has an opt-out date, so it's likely he never throws a meaningful pitch for the Rangers. It seems like we let the Cubs take advantage of this deal.
-- Jeff S., Fort Worth, Texas

The Rangers made the deal with the Cubs for catcher Geovany Soto on the night of July 30. The two teams had talked about both Loux and Brigham. The Cubs agreed to the deal for Brigham but still wanted to review his medical records. While they were doing so, news of the trade leaked out from Chicago. At the same time, the Cubs started expressing reluctance to acquire Brigham because they had concerns about his physical conditioning. By then, Yorvit Torrealba had been told what the situation was and Soto was coming to Texas to replace him.

The Rangers, backed into a bad spot, convinced the Cubs to do the deal with the provision that if Brigham wasn't healthy, the Cubs could take Loux instead after the season, plus a player to be named later. That proved to be the case. Brigham came down with an elbow problem, the Cubs asked to redo the deal and the Rangers still owe them one more player.

This is from the Rangers' beat guy's inbox. Should still be good if they can get something out of Loux.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Cubs in midseason form already against the Sox.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
TAKE THAT JAPAN

[video=youtube;tuNLuBUKYiY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tuNLuBUKYiY[/video]

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
TAKE THAT JAPAN

[video=youtube;tuNLuBUKYiY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tuNLuBUKYiY[/video]

Pisses me off that I missed this. I stopped watching the game a little after he hit the first one. Bummer.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs will most likely pick up a player on the waiver wire and with that, the Cubs will have to clear 3 spots on the 40-man roster. One will be placing Arodys Vizcaino on the 60-day DL. The Cubs have 3 other players that could be placed on the 60-day DL (Garza, Stewart and Baker). Stewart and Garza won't, but Baker could be. However, Baker says his arm feels good, so we shall see. The moves will be interesting.

Also, there's speculation the Cubs could add Garland... but I can't see that with the moves the Cubs will have to make. Gunna be an interesting final week of camp.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
So Cubs are down after 4 to a LAA team that has 1 MLB guy playing while Cubs are playing all there MLB guys. So basically Cubs are worse then a LAA AAA team lol

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs are miraculously over .500 in meaningless games now.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
CarrieMuskat: Sounds like Steve Clevenger has won the final spot on the #Cubs bench. Sveum likes having LH bat

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Dr. Jed Hoyer on Comcast.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs done with Cactus League, 16-18-1. Now on to Houston for a couple random exhibitions before Opening Day. To the Opening Day post! :woot: